The chronicles word counter!

How do you keep track of additions and deletions separately?
I use a versioning system (git) to store my book (books now). I have a bash + git script that looks at the diff between the two latest commits and counts up the words added and words deleted. git gives the words added and deleted list.

It's not perfect in that the diff algorithm on occasion will count differently than I would, but it's fine for my purposes.

Novel: The Eleventh Book
Genre: Literary Fantasy
Word Count: 5096 (2.5 chapters)
Status: As I mentioned in my last post, my other two current projects have stalled, one because of a major continuity error, which I need to clean up, and the other because I need to get a better idea of where it will end. This one arose from a Fake Dustjacket Blurb that I wrote in another thread. I liked it so much that I decided to write it. It won't be hugely long. At the moment it projects to only about 30,000 words, a novella, but I am looking at ways to expand it. I would like to at least double that length.

(This is a different blurb, more of an elevator pitch.)

Every year, for the past 100, the Chosen of a secret society must undergo a trial, to read the 13 Books of the Arcane, each teaching different facets of mystery, secret knowledge, magic, witchcraft, and self knowledge. It is unclear what happens if someone survives the 13th book, since all have fallen before the 11th until now. The 101st Chosen, Kyra Doornen, has survived The Book of Faith (No. 10), and purged by flame, she must submit herself to The Book of Sin. All who have gone before have either given up and survived (many do), died, or disappeared. Like her mother, who died, failing in the fourth book, Kyra has also vowed to succeed or die.

+517, -25 => 108021

Not much progress. Still thrashing round, trying to wrap up the story without dragging it out too long. Right now I have a paragraph of the MC's thoughts, just listing the questions that come up. It's not the worst, and these would be my thoughts if I were in their position, but I think it can be improved upon.

+584, -209 => 108398

I've declared draft 1.5 done, and I'm starting on draft 2. Rewriting is a lot of fun, especially at the slow pace I go. I'm starting from chapter 1 and as referece my last edit on that file was in Nov 2021. I see much better now where I can turn exposition into action and thought and feeling and I feel more confident to write in a way I want to. This is a serious story, but I always feel more comfortable with a humorous tone. I think that's not a bad combination: tackle a serious topic, but make it sparkle with humor.

Word Count: 9869 (5.5 chapters)
Status: Thing are moving apace on this one. I'll be over 10K today. The proportions have shifted somewhat. The book will be in about 13 sections (more chapters than that - I'm still in the third section and am into chapter 6), and it is now projecting to 44,000. I think the last two sections will expand as well, and there might be a 14th section, although I don't know at this point what will be in it. That will depend on the two sections before it.

Bk1: +600, -252 => 108748 First chapter revision going well. Reducing exposition, paying more attention to why each sentence is there.

Bk1: +1022, -316 => 109456 This time I skipped all the way to the end, to a chapter I wrote very recently, because ideas popped into my head on how to reorganize it. Worked out well. Haven't had a 1000 word day in quite a while.

Word Count: 15241 (8.5 chapters)
Status: My progress has slowed somewhat, and my projected length has become more fluid. I'm guessing that it will be about 40 chapters in total, if most of the sections comes to 3 chapters. There are two longer sections near the end, which I'm counting as 5 chapters each. I'm coming in at about 1800 words per chapter. I'm guessing about 60,000 words in total, but since I'm only about a quarter of the way through it, that is still a very wild estimate. The difficulty is that there are only two characters in this story: Kyra and the Book, which doesn't really speak. It does give Kyra cryptic teachings (a sentence or two) every couple of chapters. It's all about her journey of expanding self-awareness on the way to the supposed enlightenment of the final (13th) book of the Tridecagon, which legend tells her it will make her immortal. Still stuck in the 11th book, she is beginning to think that she already is.

Bk1 +421, -88 => 109861

Worked on replacing exposition with dialog.

Also did some more plot points for Bk2.

Word Count: 21,201 (12.5 chapters)
Status: Progress ever forward. I've wandered into a plot twist, one that has been slowly revealing itself to me. The thought came as a glimmer, a kernal of an idea, then became a "what if". I had set it all up. I just had to follow through, take a leap of faith that I'm not going to write myself into a hole, and not completely throw the reader out of my story. It will work itself out in a few chapters, and then it will be back to normal service. Remember that I serialize what I'm writing, so there is no going back - at least not until there is a major rewrite. That chapter will probably go live tomorrow or the next day, depending on when I finish it. This not-so-diversion will probably add another couple of chapters, so I'm still looking at upwards of 60K.

Bk1 +803, -535 => 110811

Chapter 1, draft 2 is finished! It's almost how I want it. It will do with another polish during draft3. My only concern is that it might be a tad long for an opening chapter (8502 words. Oh My how did it get so long.) My chapters usually run 2000-3000 words.

I have an inciting incident and a partial resolution. I suspect I can split it at around the 5000 word mark and end on a cliffhanger and the partial resolution will be the next chapter.

Bk1 +803, -535 => 110811

Chapter 1, draft 2 is finished! It's almost how I want it. It will do with another polish during draft3. My only concern is that it might be a tad long for an opening chapter (8502 words. Oh My how did it get so long.) My chapters usually run 2000-3000 words.

I have an inciting incident and a partial resolution. I suspect I can split it at around the 5000 word mark and end on a cliffhanger and the partial resolution will be the next chapter.
I wouldn't split the first chapter due to length. I feel that the first chapter should almost be a stand alone short story and that sounds like what you have. I would suggest that, in an editing pass, you ensure that you are not over explaining details in the opening. Ensure that the pace willl keep the reader interested and look at deferring or omitting some of the details supporting the whys of the plot, the world, or characters' backgrounds.

Bk1 +803, -535 => 110811

Ending chapters on cliffhangers is a good strategy. It keeps the reader from putting the book down. I often read in bed at night, and I hate writers that do that, so much that I just keep reading. :)

I feel that the first chapter should almost be a stand alone short story and that sounds like what you have.

Ending chapters on cliffhangers is a good strategy.

I love discussing writing on these forums because I will often find somewhat conflicting ideas which simply shows how much variation there is in the art.

Cliffhangers are a time honored strategy. I'd say the thousand and one night stories are the earliest I know of this technique being explicitly mentioned. Cliffhangers rely on our very human desire to know what comes next action-wise.

However, and this brings us to @Wayne Mack 's idea, this human desire also extends to character and world development. We can resolve an arc, so the reader does not feel cheated, but paint enough of a character's desires and a world's shape that the reader wants to know more, and will read on.

Hi,

Interesting thread. Here's mine at the moment (I'm pure pantster!)

Novel: BOUND - epic fantasy
Words 141,563 (as of about lunch time)

Novel: MOODY - urban sci fi (title may well change, the books not two weeks old yet!)
Words 51,600 (ish)

Novel: THE KEEPER 2 - detective / police procedural / female sleuth - Sequel to The Keeper
Words 4,300 (ish) (I only started it yesterday!)

Currently I'm sort of half blocked on all three and jumping between them almost at random as I think of something!

Cheers, Greg.