StephenKing-Carrie, sentence question

waveform

Hi, I’m only on the 12th page of the book and I keep seeing a sentence that reads “From The Shadow Exploded (P.54)”

Well every time I see this sentence it’s not just page 54; I see other page numbers after this sentence. What is this referring to? Is this another book?

Thanks

In this novel Stephen King integrates fictional documents such as essays, news reports and book extracts to frame the story. They aren't real books (as far as I'm aware, I think), I believe that they are created by King to add a new depth to the story, even a sense of realism, as if the story is being documented as fact, rather than being retold as a story. It's been a while since I've read the book, but I believe it also contains things such as fictional memoirs from a book written by one of the girls who attended the same school as Carrie and witnessed the 'events' of the book.

In this novel Stephen King integrates fictional documents such as essays, news reports and book extracts to frame the story. They aren't real books (as far as I'm aware, I think), I believe that they are created by King to add a new depth to the story, even a sense of realism, as if the story is being documented as fact, rather than being retold as a story. It's been a while since I've read the book, but I believe it also contains things such as fictional memoirs from a book written by one of the girls who attended the same school as Carrie and witnessed the 'events' of the book.

You're dead on. He did this to invoke a sense of authenticity to Carrie's story. I can't remember which book inspired him to do this, but he mentioned it in On Writing.

Yes. It's a technique that's been used many times. As the story is actually something that has happened sometime in the past, these are quotations from reports, scientific papers, memoirs, etc., that deal with the phenomenon. The Shadow Exploded is an examination into the causes (physical and societal, as I recall, though I've not read Carrie in a very long time) behind the disaster. And, as such a case would be unprecedented -- this powerful a telekinetic outburst, one that decimated an entire town -- it is also trying to come to grips with rewriting the way human beings look at things -- if such things are real, there's a desperate need to understand them in order to control or contain them, lest the experience be repeated, who knows how many times.

So, King presents you with the papers done on this in the present-day, interposed with telling the actual events as they unfolded, building up to the crisis point. The thing that make this technique so important in this novel is that Carrie is not an isolated case -- or they fear she's not -- and therefore, by inserting these excerpts from these documents, he's already foreshadowing the fallout -- a fallout that extends far, far beyond the community that Carrie devastated, into the world at large.

Yes. It's a technique that's been used many times. As the story is actually something that has happened sometime in the past, these are quotations from reports, scientific papers, memoirs, etc., that deal with the phenomenon. The Shadow Exploded is an examination into the causes (physical and societal, as I recall, though I've not read Carrie in a very long time) behind the disaster. And, as such a case would be unprecedented -- this powerful a telekinetic outburst, one that decimated an entire town -- it is also trying to come to grips with rewriting the way human beings look at things -- if such things are real, there's a desperate need to understand them in order to control or contain them, lest the experience be repeated, who knows how many times.

So, King presents you with the papers done on this in the present-day, interposed with telling the actual events as they unfolded, building up to the crisis point. The thing that make this technique so important in this novel is that Carrie is not an isolated case -- or they fear she's not -- and therefore, by inserting these excerpts from these documents, he's already foreshadowing the fallout -- a fallout that extends far, far beyond the community that Carrie devastated, into the world at large.

Exactly what I said :D:p

I clearly implied it though :p

But there, there, your comments are valid too...just not as much as mine!

*Ducks* :p