Dinosaurs and biplanes

j d worthington

A question has now been raised if some dinosaurs had wing structures like early biplanes....

Dinosaur may have resembled the biplane - Yahoo! News

The story is titled "Dinosaur may have resembled the biplane", by Randolph E. Schmid, from AP, and datelined Mon., Jan. 22, 2007:

WASHINGTON - When the Wright Brothers first took to the sky in a biplane, they were using a design nature may have tried 125 million years earlier. A new study of one of the earliest feathered dinosaurs suggests it may have had upper and lower sets of wings, much like the biplanes of early aviation. Today, the biplane is widely considered an old-fashioned rarity.

And the design is no longer seen in birds, though it's not clear if it was a step on the way to modern birds or a dead end, tested by nature and discarded.

The intriguing possibility of a biplane dinosaur — Microraptor gui — is suggested by Sankar Chatterjee of Texas Tech University in this week's online issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Microraptor was described by Xing Xu of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2003 as having aerodynamic feathers on both its arms and legs. Xu suggested at the time that it glided, extending its legs backward so its wings were arranged one behind the other, like a dragonfly.

But that would be aerodynamically inefficient for a feathered creature, Chatterjee concluded, noting that the feathers on the legs would not face forward.

Instead, he suggested, the legs of the two-pound creature could have been held below the body in flight, creating two staggered wing sections, the upper one slightly ahead of the lower one.

One other flying dinosaur, Pedopenna, also had feathers on its legs, Chatterjee said, and modern raptors such as falcons have short feathers on their upper legs which reduce air resistance as they fly.

Has anyone else heard more on this topic?

Hmm, after seeing that picture in Bowerbird's picture, I have to admit I'm skeptical...it could just be the way the picture is drawn, but it looks a very odd way to glide...

But hey, what do we know? It's impossible to say anything for certain about creatures that lived millions of years ago. It's good to see more and more links being found between dinosaurs and modern day birds, though.

It's an interesting theory, certainly, as biplane manoevrability, would have been a distinct advantage in some situations, e.g. when hunting insects in a forest. It is also well known that biplane wings too close together tend to blanket each other and actually reduce lift. This "Biplane interference," on such a small animal would surely have been a major factor. I think I would need to see a lot more hard evidence before I could commit myself.