What might dinosaurs be called if they were alive like anything else that's alive today?

Bramandin

Science fiction fantasy
1657599120407.png

I don't know, but it might be fun to include carnivorous turkeys in a fantasy setting.

Also, how does one elegantly include them in a book? Sure when I mentioned people eating smoked pig I didn't need to go into how they're vicious wild terrors unless they're going to be attacked by one. Also, if an author calls horses "runner-beasts" they're likely to get something more like a rhinoceros. RENEGADES OF PERN | The Art of Michael Whelan

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Maybe I should try to find a video of someone playing "chubby bunnies" in a foreign language and type out what I think I hear.

Coincidentally I'm reading Brian Aldiss' The Malacia Tapestry, which features Ancestral Animals, or as we know them, Dinosaurs, with some interesting names: Trundles; Devil-jaws; Slobbergobs; Side-rowels, Tyrant-greaves; Grab-skeeters; Yatterhobs: Snaphances; and several others.
Then there are the great ancestrals of the deep: Fanglefish; Crazies; Speckled Sabre-snouts; Goddies; and others.
Or the flying Frizzen-bats and Leather-tooths

A little more info found here
"Malacia's extensive farmlands and estates are the homes of the "Ancestral Animals", basically Late Cretaceous period dinosaurs, such as Triceratops, Ornithomimus, Allosaurus and small Pterosaurs."

If dinosaurs were just generally around and unremarkable, I reckon they'd have names no odder (or less odd) than "regular" animals like ferrets and wombats. "Dad, there's a cudger scaring the greep in the south field!" Though some that were known to the ancient Greeks and Romans in this scenario might end up with the same names as in our world, like "triceratops".

If dinosaurs were just generally around and unremarkable, I reckon they'd have names no odder (or less odd) than "regular" animals like ferrets and wombats. "Dad, there's a cudger scaring the greep in the south field!" Though some that were known to the ancient Greeks and Romans in this scenario might end up with the same names as in our world, like "triceratops".
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Though the more dangerous ones might have shorter names. Jarb for something that might eat people where Thandari might be something where you just have to not spook it.

I understand that chickens are about the closest things that we now have for dinosaurs. Only smaller dinosaurs could have continued to exist in a human dominated world, and even then only those that could be domesticated.

I understand that chickens are about the closest things that we now have for dinosaurs. Only smaller dinosaurs could have continued to exist in a human dominated world, and even then only those that could be domesticated.

We have wild turkeys and foxes, but yeah we probably would have exterminated everything that was a threat to us. Except for emu; that's some nuts stuff.

Back