Favourite moment in an Eddings novel?

1. HappyHippo

HappyHippo I'm so dizzy...

Random good words: spanner, wobbly, boing, muppet
    Sephrenia and Vanion's wedding in the Tamuli, very emotional.

My most favourite moment isn't in his fantasy books, it's in The Losers. At the end, even after Damon has tried to destory Raphael utterly, he forgives him and hold his hand while he dies. It's a beautifully written piece.

2. Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

I haven't read The Losers. Is it like Eddings' other works?

3. HappyHippo

no, it's contemporary fiction. It deals with Raphael, a young man, star of his college football team. He is the miracle child of older parents and one of nature's wonderful people. He goes away to college where he meets Jacob Damon Flood, who introduces him to an older woman who sort of corrupts him. One night he gets roaring drunk after an argument with her, and drives into a level crossing, where he is hit by a train and loses a leg and is made a eunuch. He then moves to Spokane and attempts to make sense of his life. While there, he comes across the Losers; those people on the edge of soiciety, collecting welfare, living in a permanent state of crisis.

I think it's the deepest of Eddings' works, the people have more detail, the writing is darker and more real. It never fails to move me, and I'd recommend it. Wanna borrow my copy? :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  4. Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

That sounds like a good read. I wonder why Eddings didn't put that kind of depth into some of his other work. I think I'll see if my library has a copy, but I'll keep your kind offer in reserve.:) Thanks, HappyHippo!

5. HappyHippo

hey, what are fellow book-junkies for? Good luck searching, my library only ever has King of the Murgos and the Redemption of Althalus!

6. TheBouncingDagashi

TheBouncingDagashi Learning to fly

I adore that part. I particularily enjoyed when it was over and Silk casually said, "Lovely evening, isn't it?" as if nothing had happened.:)

7. Gothic_Angelica

Gothic_Angelica Well-Known Member

Its been years since I've read David Edding's so please forgive my mistakes. In pawn of prophecy where Garion builds a raft on the pond. he gets the hang of swimming just as he whacks his head on raft! lol I always remember that bit.

But the best bits is everytime he says why me? lol The whole of the belgariad I was laughing at something :)

8. Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

"Why me?" certainly is one of the phrases I remember the most from the Belgariad.:)

9. daisybee

daisybee Well-Known Member

My favourite part, for emotional punch, is when we see Silk dealing with his mothers illness, and realising that he is in love with Porenn. Made Silk practically irresistable after that, and for me he felt like the most real of the characters which sounds strange considering he is such a Bond type character. :)

10. MastaMystic

MastaMystic The Narrator of DOOM

my favorite parts in the belgariad would have to be the snippy comments between Polgara and Belgarath

11. devilsgrin

devilsgrin Well-Known Member

and the endless stream of insults to and fro between Polgara and Beldin. Ooh! and all the times that Polgara drops a perfectly timed one-liner to put Ce'Nedra in her place.

12. HappyHippo

Ooh, very good choice! The soft side of Silk's beautifully done.

I like most of the end of The ELenium - Khalad's death to the end of that battle. Azash squishing Otha and Annias, and Martel getting his proper deathbed.

13. daisybee

HappyHippo, I haven't read that, but maybe I will now, I always struggled with Sparhawk, must try harder!!

14. HappyHippo

It's good. I'll always prefer the Belgariad, but it's good.

If you get the three-in-one edition, it's good as a bookstop, if nothing else!

15. daisybee

Yeah, the Belgariad is great. *Sigh*

I'll look out for the books in the library although I'm not reading a lot of fantasy at the mo.(Thrillers are my current fad):D

16. HappyHippo

you're in Leicester? (checked profile)

I'll mail mine to you, if you want, I'm only in Nuneaton.

unless there's a leicester in USA!

17. daisybee

Nuneaton? The place we all switch trains on our way up north? (Or maybe just me:D ) I've only ever seen the train station.:eek:

Yeah I'm in Leicester of the UK variety. (Don't hold it against me):D

That's a cool offer, I'll PM you my address if that's okay??

Hmm, thinking of what I can offer in the swap.:confused:

18. HappyHippo

Yes, Nuneaton the travelled-through! We're going all metropolitan, with a Starbucks opening soon. Leicester's cool, so I've heard.

Don't worry about the swap - it'll be good book karma!

Was thinkg, BTW, I also really like the part in Queen of Sorcery where Lelldorin comes along in his minstrel disguise, and Garion goes all testosterone and attacks him. What a perfect peice of teenage boy-ness :p

19. daisybee

Funny, I was just thinking about the part where garion gets all vengeful, and kills those guys on his own, his first foray into independance and violence, which he enjoys, briefly. I like that we get a peek into his dark side.:D

Leicester ain't cool.:) Although Hinckley is pretty, and they have a good Am Dram Theatre, if you are so inclined. Worth a look seen as you aren't that far away.:)

20. MastaMystic

MastaMystic The Narrator of DOOM

lol ok ummm back to the topic... another good part is when garion burns whats hisface...Chaldan? ugh major brain fart..