*Spoiler Alert*
Police Constable Gwen Cooper comes across the mysterious
organization known as Torchwood. Enigmatic Captain Jack Harkness is the
ever-watchful leader of the Torchwood team. Gwen is initially an outsider,
whose first, chance meeting with Torchwood at the scene of a brutal murder
sparks within her a burning curiosity to get to the truth. She is intrigued
by Torchwood and her life changes when she is catapulted into an unfamiliar
and exciting world. While investigating their world, Gwen finds technology
and methods she never imagined. Gwen is played by Eve Myles, who previously appeared as Gwyneth in the Doctor Who episode The Unquiet Dead. It remains to be seen if Myles's two similarly named characters are linked in any way.
*end spoiler*

Still letting it sink in.

They went for it in terms of justifying the adult time slot though, with the language and the violence (and by "Day One" the sexual content), but round the edges some of it felt like "lets do something to justify the rating".

As for the episode, always difficult for a first episode, capturing all the exposition as well as a bit of plot. Was it not too basic? Didn't stop me watching mind! And will continue moving my life to make myself available for each episode...

My expectations weren't too high but I really liked it.

Captain Jack is brilliant. Ooh, and is it the nanobot things from the Gas Mask ep that keep him from dying?

I thought they did well, could smell Mr T. Davies a mile off with that script though which is a good thing in my book!

I continued to watch it and enjoyed it a lot, can't wait for next week's!

xx

Do they explain how he got to modern day Earth from the the station in Parting of the Ways? And why does he join up with Torchwood anyway? I don't mind spoilers.

Captain Jack is brilliant. Ooh, and is it the nanobot things from the Gas Mask ep that keep him from dying?

It has something to do with him being resurrected. The power that Rose used in Bad Wolf seems to have infected him.

He infused with Tardis energy.

or something.

As for the episode.

Too much posing on top of buildings and slow flyby's of Cardiff.

Can't say I was all that impressed. Characters are ok and Gwen is a hottie, but the plot seemed like the Dr Who pilot all over again mixed with "Men in Black" (sees Aliens- gets Amnesia-joins agency).

Yes I agree that there were a lot of gratuitous shots of Cardiff!!!! Still, I'm a lover of the city so it didn't bother me too much!

xx

For a pilot episode I was very impressed. It had a maturity to it that made it very enjoyable. The plot was basic, but there were some great ideas - I'm expecting good things for future episodes.

capt jack does seem to have a certain immunity to death from residual time vortex energy. not sure about it yet, although cool use of the doctors hand in the jar, can't wait to see the doctor reunited with his hand:D
i'll keep watching a bit. see if it picks up.

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It had the same mix of action, suspense and humour as Doctor Who, and there was some lovely cinematography. I still love Captain Jack, even though he seems more cynical and detached now.

But there were bits I didn't like. It seemed as though all the swearing and sex and violence were there just for the sake of it, and felt very out-of-place at times. The whole 'Jack can't die' thing seems like a cheap excuse to shoot the lead character, rather than an actual plotline.

None of the characters except Jack endeared themselves to me in any way. Especially Owen - you've got to wonder what the writers were thinking of, introducing one of the main characters by showing him effectively using a date-rape drug? I mean, I know what message they were going for - Torchwood have distanced themselves from humanity, they're using the technology for their own petty wants instead of the greater need, etc - but still. I suppose the other characters will grow on me with time.

Oh, and did anyone else completely crack up when the guy got his throat ripped out, or was that just me?

I also wondered about the endless views from the air of Cardiff. :yawn:

I loved the X-Files and this really isn't a replacement. Such an ensemble cast of characters will never have that Mulder-Scully chemistry, and Owen is particularly unlikeable. Also, they are presumably stuck in Cardiff (as the rift seems to be the reason for all the aliens arriving there.)

It was a good idea to use Gwen as an outsider to bring us into, and explore Torchwood. He used Rose in the first episode of Doctor Who - Rose in the same way.

As for Captain Jack Harkness being indistructable, I couldn't put Captain Scarlett out of my mind. He said that it was the result of an accident long ago. I don't think it could be the residual time vortex energy. It is more likely to be nanobots from a Tula medical ship, or something completely different. It's good that although we think we know him, we actually know very little about him.

the reason i thought it was from the time vortex energy is simply that when he kissed carys in ep two, she glowed with 'golden' light, as did rose when she was filled with the vortex.

Saw parts 1 and 3 (missed 2 - was away). Thought it a bit clumpy but will continue to watch - sometimes these things settle better with age (like Dr Who - which was very clumpy when it started all those years ago).

Too much posing on top of buildings and slow flyby's of Cardiff.

Yeah what was with the posing on the building? Was he thinking of testing his invulnerability? Was he going to jump? I wonder what would happen if he did? :eek:

I like the overhead shots of Cardiff. It reminds me that in such a big city all kinds of things can be going on that we don't even know about.:cool:

Just realised something, and give me a virtual kick in arse if this was obvious to everyone else, but (not sure if this is a 'real' spoiler)*why did the weevil have 'Torchwood' on his jumpsuit when Gwen and the audience first see him?*
Was it all a set up from the very beginning? Were Torchwood actively pursuing Gwen?

I think it must have been a test to see if Gwen was Torchwood material.

I mean Jack practically told her to go up to the top level of the carpark to get a good view of what the Torchwood team were doing. Well... with his eyes. He looked up, then she looked up and then realised she could view them from up there.

If you watch it again it looks pretty much like she was led from the start!:eek:

I'm surprised she didn't notice the name on the jumpsuit actually. Coppers are supposed to notice details like that no?

Well, Torchwood certainly don't credit the Cardiff police too much respect.

They make them out to look a bit slow and stupid. Always saying things like 'they should do their job for once'. What are they doing if they're not doing their jobs I wonder.