What was the last movie you saw?

Shrek 4. Was all right, not that funny though. I thought Shrek 3 was better. And it was too loud. That, or I'm getting old.

The Thing. Mainly because it happened to just be on TV. But it's a great film :)

Cowboys vs Aliens

We went in with very low expectations and walked very happy. It's a fluff film, and if watched in the same way is quite entertaining.

American Grindhouse

A documentary detailing the growth of Exploitation cinema, from the birth of film, to modern times. Very entertaining and quite interesting little film, which had some great contributors including William Lustig, H.G Lewis, John Landis and Fred Olen Ray among others. I would have hoped for some Euro Trash in there as well, but it was "American" Grindhouse. Not World Grindhouse.

Rango. Wacky, but enjoyable. The first time I've ever heard "The Ride of the Valkyries" played on a banjo. The various voices were fun. Johnny Depp especially gets high marks.

An Officer & A Gentleman. My boss bought it for me as a leaving present, she was appalled I'd never seen it. :eek:

Summary? Good but predictable and fabulously 80s :D

xx

Rango. Wacky, but enjoyable. The first time I've ever heard "The Ride of the Valkyries" played on a banjo. The various voices were fun. Johnny Depp especially gets high marks.

I just got that as Blu Ray DVD from Lovefilm. Johnny Depp has always had a funny voice, he was made for a role like this. I havent had time to see it, people i live with are ignorant when it comes to animated films.

Cowboys & Aliens. Fun film. Lots of action. Good use of the main characters. However (spoilers): The credibility quotient took a major nosedive and the cornball factor skyrocketed when the Apaches showed up. But then the whole space western thing is a major reach anyway. So it made perfect sense that the aliens would lasso their victims, that they were really just interstellar claim jumpers and that their mother ship looked like it was straight out of the industrial revolution.

Overall, very enjoyable. Just don't overthink it.

Cowboys & Aliens. Fun film. Lots of action. Good use of the main characters. Overall, very enjoyable. Just don't overthink it.

Really Cool Sci-fi flick, one of the best this summer!

Scarface (1932)

Howard Hawks diirected this intense, violent and heavy drama about the rise and fall of a gangster.

Juts got back from "Final Destination 5". Have to say, surprisingly good. There's a load to laugh about, albeit quite gruesomely. The effects are good and the deaths tolerably inventive. And nice twist.

Paranormal Activity 2
Nowhere near as good as 1 (its a prequel) and I was beginning to find it pretty lame. Then it got going and I jumped out my skin. I love films that do that!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Firstly, this movie just made my top 10 or so greatest SF movies. I'm very picky and, generally, avoid commercial TV and Hollywood. I'm super picky about science fiction because I care about the genre enough not to tolerate 'colour by numbers' production. Nine out of ten times I am disappointed, and that's fine. I expect it. I think too many writers, directors, producers, etc. take the lazy route with genre fiction, i.e. they understand their target audience (or part of it) and then throw money at their expensive paint set just to 'colour by numbers'.

Okay, off my espousing plank!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is not perfect, but it is quite marvellous. It suffers from some typical Hollywood cliches: the pretty woman with little function and the lab boss who thinks only of money.

Besides that, this is masterful storytelling. Of course, the star of the show is a CGI ape called Caesar. As the hero of the story, his character arc is beautifully realised.

This movie manages to expore a number of themes without distraction. In fact, the sub-themes only add to the bigger story. For instance, a minor theme that I found very exciting was the nature of pet ownership and its possible consequences. I don't think twice when I see a lead attached to a dog's collar, but I might think thrice if I see a toddler being dragged around a supermarket on one.

I think what they've managed to do is tell a great science fiction story but keep it firmly rooted to humanity. I think this is always vital. No compromise. Ever.

Now, I just can't wait for my partner to get home from QLD so I can take her to see it. It may turn out that my views change. They sometimes do.

Last edited:
The Wrestler

When he turns and says, it's only out there that I get hurt, sums it up well. Great portrait of a strong, flawed character. Been a fan of Aronofsky's work since I saw Pi.

The Wrestler was a great movie. Rourke and Tomei were surperb, especially Rourke. The screenplay was great, clever enough to avoid cliches and that all-too-annoying habit of Hollywood to end with a smile on everyone's face. I think the whole production of this movie was top notch!

Other indie American movies I would list fairly high would have to include, Slingblade and Into The Wild. I really have a soft spot for that movie in particular.

Rango

It was weird, more original animation and more fun than i expected. Depp voice was so perfect for the lizard and i also thought the music or Hans Zimmer choices made the film strong. Alot of great music used in the film.

You dont have to copy Pixar films to a quality animation of this type.

Other indie American movies I would list fairly high would have to include, ... Into The Wild.
They're selling that movie for five bucks here. I considered picking it up because I vaguely remember hearing it was good.

Lately I've just been rewatching old greats. Watched Pulp Fiction one and a half times in the last two days -- the half just because it was like five in the morning and my eyelids were thousand pound weights.

But, what a great one.

Go and buy Into The Wild for five bucks. I don't think you'll be disappointed.