What was the last movie you saw?

Spartacus (film) - Wikipedia

Always a favourite of mine over the years, especially around Christmas time for some odd reason.

A remarkable story with a remarkable cast. Laurence Olivier & Peter Ustinov both stole the show for me; more so Olivier because he played the part of Crassus to a tee (probably had the looks of a Roman general and statesman. Although I did find Kirk Douglas' performance as Spartacus a little wooden & stiff in all honesty.

Sumptuous camerawork, good editing and a tremendous score by Alex North, especially the opening credits - always sends a shiver down my spine!

4.5/5
I haven't seen this movie for a long time now, but your excellent comments brought memories back -- but I want to ask this: if you ever figure out why this flick is a fav around Christmas time, I hope you'll let us know... Please!

And it was Ustinov that I liked most in the movie (I agree that Douglas was pretty stiff in this one...but then, that was his style...).

Really. a Goblin score? Better check that one out again. I just lissened at Roller, not bad for its time either.

RPG (2013) - Very cheapo Hunger Games-a-like with a variety of not very good actors - most of them being not very convincing in a second language. Many years ago I made myself a promise and thus was born the 'I'm Going To Watch Every Movie Rutger Hauer Ever Made Project'. I never promised I'd watch them twice. Boy has he been in some sh*t, and, for all that his name and face feature prominently on the cover, I guess Mr Hauer must have been on set for the best part of a whole day on this one.

Blood Punch. Decent acting and directing and a terrific script with tension and wry humor. Starts out like a normal crime flick then takes a left turn into the macabre. A lot of fun. Recommended.

I haven't seen this movie for a long time now, but your excellent comments brought memories back -- but I want to ask this: if you ever figure out why this flick is a fav around Christmas time, I hope you'll let us know... Please!

And it was Ustinov that I liked most in the movie (I agree that Douglas was pretty stiff in this one...but then, that was his style...).

Back in the 70s and 80s, when we only had about 3 or 4 terrestrial TV channels to choose from here in the UK, it was usually traditional for one of the broadcasters to show a perennial favourite on Christmas Day. Sometimes it would be a James Bond premier, or something a little more family-orientated like "Mary Poppins". But quite often "Spartacus" and/or "The Great Escape" would be on one of the channels because both films were classics and had wide appeal back then.

And Ustinov was terrific as the slimy, dirtbag, Batiatus. I can still recall one or two standout quotes of his:-

"No, Lady Helena. I tingle!"

"Wait! Crassus? Here? Bring my red toga with the acorns. And some chairs. Second best wine. No, wait. The best, but small goblets. "

"Good luck. And may fortune smile upon some of you! "

"And Now For Something Completely Different!" (1971)

Classic Monty Python, rehashing some of their best TV show sketches for the big screen.

If you're not a fan of the show, it will be unlikely you'll enjoy this jewel in the zany comedy crown.

Very surreal comedy for its time, but in most part its extremely well done: more hits than misses in fact.

And the <in>famous "Dead Parrot" sketch is also revised and slightly embellished for the better here too.

Not my favourite Python film ("The Holy Grail" for me), but is still great fun.

3/5

"He's not pining! He's passed on!
This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! '
He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!
He's a stiff! Bereft of life. He rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! '
Its metabolic processes are now 'history!
He's off the twig!
He's kicked the bucket!
He's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!"

Gee, Incredible Melting Man - s'arful, I'm going to edit it into watchable comedy someday. And, Day of the Triffids remake, 2009? is kinda forgettable. I like the JRiffoil company idea, but .. so then I watched Monster House, as I continue to plow thru every aminated flick out there.

Independence Day Resurgence, was pretty good. The love story wasn't really needed in the movie in my opinion, but all in all a very good movie!

Horrors of the Black Museum (1959) - what a gloriously dreadful film! Overwrought 1950s British serial killer stuff with some seriously weird acting. I really have no idea what half the cast thought they were doing but all of them appear to be in different movies. I suspect many of them were just trying not to corpse - the script is very odd. I have to admire the way they managed such long, dreadful dialogue heavy takes without getting the giggles. It's pulp paperback page-filling stuff not film dialogue. I'll be watching this one again.

"And Now For Something Completely Different!" (1971)

Classic Monty Python, rehashing some of their best TV show sketches for the big screen.

If you're not a fan of the show, it will be unlikely you'll enjoy this jewel in the zany comedy crown.

Very surreal comedy for its time, but in most part its extremely well done: more hits than misses in fact.

And the <in>famous "Dead Parrot" sketch is also revised and slightly embellished for the better here too.

Not my favourite Python film ("The Holy Grail" for me), but is still great fun.

3/5

"He's not pining! He's passed on!
This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! '
He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!
He's a stiff! Bereft of life. He rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! '
Its metabolic processes are now 'history!
He's off the twig!
He's kicked the bucket!
He's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!"
I was literally helpless with laughter, the first time I saw that episode...

Fantastic beasts and where to find them, or as my other half ordered the tickets "Beasts and where they come from" this comes from a girl that scores around 138 on an IQ test I've said it before and will again she is letting herself down when it comes to communication....

Well in its entirety it was average, i was surprised at how sinister and effective collin farrell was. I also found that fella from that poor hawking film rather well suited to this role but there was no clear narrative. You can tell this wasn't written first. Harry potter is The story of harry throughout this is a jumble of stories. The reveal at the end was awful. It replaces a surprisingly well developed and sinister character with what (not to give it away) is an actor who bas time and again proved he is only capable of playing the jokey bad come good type and will no dpnt kill the franchise. I have nothing against the actor but honestly for a momemt I thought CF was a scary and convincing beast of a wizzard then I expect from the other actor some tom foolery. This from the wizzard that able was meant to be an equal to dumbledore. If they wanted to go down that route there are so many better choices. Jude law would be able but not obvious, daniel craig had the eyes to go against dumbledor or better yet maybe John hamm if we need an American element.

My main issue with the film though is that there was no one individual giving the narrative.

I've slated the actor in the past but I have to say Newt came closest and it was an outstanding performance of a brittish eccentric.

Fantastic beasts and where to find them, or as my other half ordered the tickets "Beasts and where they come from" this comes from a girl that scores around 138 on an IQ test I've said it before and will again she is letting herself down when it comes to communication....

Well in its entirety it was average, i was surprised at how sinister and effective collin farrell was. I also found that fella from that poor hawking film rather well suited to this role but there was no clear narrative. You can tell this wasn't written first. Harry potter is The story of harry throughout this is a jumble of stories. The reveal at the end was awful. It replaces a surprisingly well developed and sinister character with what (not to give it away) is an actor who bas time and again proved he is only capable of playing the jokey bad come good type and will no dpnt kill the franchise. I have nothing against the actor but honestly for a momemt I thought CF was a scary and convincing beast of a wizzard then I expect from the other actor some tom foolery. This from the wizzard that able was meant to be an equal to dumbledore. If they wanted to go down that route there are so many better choices. Jude law would be able but not obvious, daniel craig had the eyes to go against dumbledor or better yet maybe John hamm if we need an American element.

My main issue with the film though is that there was no one individual giving the narrative.

I've slated the actor in the past but I have to say Newt came closest and it was an outstanding performance of a brittish eccentric.
Redmayne was brilliant in Theory of Everything ! My partner went to see Fantastic Beasts...with our daughter. They enjoyed it.

I watched Grimsby last night and I'm rather embarrassed to say that I found it hilarious.

Definitely not one for a romantic night in.

When We Were Kings - Wikipedia

Fascinating documentary covering the <in>famous world heavyweight boxing championship between Mohammed Ali and George Foreman in Zaire, 1974 (or the "Rumble-in-the-Jungle" as the promoters pushed it)

Plenty of interviews of Ali at his charismatic best leading up to the fight; while less time is given to Foreman, who lacks the charm & honesty of his opponent. Ali find empathy with the people of Zaire, more so given they're ruled by a brutal dictator - Mobutu Seko. The same man funding the fight purely out of his own vanity, and sanctioned by the WBO, who appear not too concerned with the ethics of this known murderer and tyrant to his own people.

But typically, ethics takes a back seat to the prize money. And despite Ali's empathy and recognition that these people have suffered under Seto, he never criticizes Seko, but focuses purely on the change of becoming champion again, and the sizable purse.

Morality aside, this is a wonderful documentary, heavily slanted toward the charming Ali, while Foreman always appears to be the Big Bad Wolf in all of this.

4/5

Errr, War of the Insects. Funny dubbing on George, the crazy black guy, by a Japanese guy, in English but mostly just, arrr Arrrgh! Insects! screams George... and the bugs cruise at 30,000 ft. looking for revenge on the humans. Not bad. )
The Woman Eater 1957 - turns out to be a weird giant plant-thing kept in the profs. basement..
Dang, can't get Horrors o' Black Museum (in Hypno-Vision!) ..so am going to have a go at Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

"Name of the Rose" (1986)

Loved this film! One of Sean Connery's finest and most understated roles.

Okay, so it didn't make a lot of money at the box office at time of release (1986), especially Stateside. But has since picked up a respectable $100m globally. Not bad for a $17m budget.

It's grim, slow, gruesome at times. But the ending is great and the story quite engrossing, if somewhat overlong.

The Name of the Rose (film) - Wikipedia

3/5

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Enjoyed it! Loved the 1920s setting. Thought Jacob Kowalski was a great character in particular.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Enjoyed it! Loved the 1920s setting. Thought Jacob Kowalski was a great character in particular.

I just hope the series is about Jacob. Exceptional fantastic performance from Dan Fogler but I still thought it lacked focus on a central character.

The Wages of Fear (1953)

Without question one of the finest action/dramas I have seen in all my years of watching films. And certainly endorses the genius that is director, Henri Geoges Clouzot.

The 1977 remake (The Sorcerer), is good, but doesn't come close to character development, and loses steam near the end.

5/5