4.16: 2010

vidkun quisling was a norwegian official who collaborated with the nazis in ww2 so like benedict arnold his name has become a synonym for "traitor"

Ahhh! Some one Knows!

Thank you gategeek!(Granny applauds!!!)

Will try to rememberthe spelling! For years I spelt Asgard as asgaard! without the umlats!

Going back to the point about why no-one noticed the drop in birth rate. They did say that the drop in birth rate was linked to use of the anti-aging vaccine. Maybe the anti-aging vaccine just hasn't been distributed that far yet. After all, I think that the newspaper being read by Joe in the first scence indicated that distribution was to be extended.

hehe i knew what a quisling was... don't think i would use the word in every day language though :)

Originally posted by padders
but birth rates and death rates are published yearly, i had to get them for economics projects i did at school and they are very readily avaliable. Someone would have noticed.. i think the "its only a tv show" bit comes in here.

Agreed, but the 90% was a total number over several years. Not a yearly statistic.

The difference is "Over the past ten years the birth rate has dropped 90%." vs. "Last year the birth rate dropped 9%."

If someone's curiosity wasn't peaked, like Sam and Janet's, to check up on the total per centage then possibly no one would really have noticed or even cared.

The Aschen had taken over quite a bit. Possibly they were also controlling the general statistics that were being published. It seemed to me that they had a pretty large thumb planted over everyone. ;)

Cheers,

i thought sam said the birth rate had dropped over 90% in the last 2 years. if i heard right then the only people that would really notice would be medical professionals, i mean ob-gyn's would surely notice an almost total lack of new patients and a sudden influx of couples seeking fertiltiy counseling, and since the aschen seem to have taken over all aspects of medicine, like how janet says she's become obsolete, the people having the information are the people least likely to spread the info.
which means they could be publishing erronous numbers and no one noticed.
i mean if all hospitals are aschen run...and they're in the conspiracy then if they say 100 babies were born last month who would know differently to contradict them?
and if it had only been 2 years, no one would really notice anything until that generation were ready to go to kindergarten and all of a sudden they realized there were no kids of that age, then people would start asking around and realize what had happened but by then surely the aschen would have sterilized the entire human race and all they had to do was step back and wait for us to die in a century or two.
especially if they took the stargate with them

[Edited by skydiver on 01-14-2001 at 11:49 AM]

things is what i can't understand is it wouldn't work long term. There is going to be a war whatever happens. When we realise, as you say we would do when kindergarden never happens, then earth are going to be a little annoyed. What does it achieve, i think this would probably make us fight even harder after feeling so "abused". Perhaps it gives them time to prepare, plant a few bombs etc round the planet perhaps i don't know but what will it really prevent in the end? How long did they think it could go on before they were discovered? what would they do when they were discovered? (p.s. did they have spaceships.. i can't remember) if no they can't take the stargate but i assume they do so could.. interesting..

i don't remember them saying anything about them having space ships but...well we don't and it isn't very likely we could achieve interstellar space flight in 2 centuries, considering we've sorta let ourselves stagnate, at least that's what they imply on the show. we just sat back and let the aschen run things.
so if they take or destroy the gate, we're stuck here. and sam said they were very patient. they'll just go home and wait for us all to die.
even if we were mad as heck...can't do much about it if we're all trapped on the planet. and there are no tok'ra to ask for help, the jaffa are dying off and the tollan wouldn't give a darn...our only hope would be if the asgard wanted to do something, and there was no mention of them.

there was an outer limits eps like this. something had happened and sterilized 90% or so of the human race, they were to the point of urging kids to get ***ually active as soon as they could and that kind of stuff...the plot's too long to go into here but...well it's similar.

and by the way, i'm no astrophysist but, why the heck would they want to turn earth into a binary system anyway? that's what the jupiter ignition project was all about, turning jupiter into a sun...aren't binary systems rather unstable?

It was kinda implied that with the gate being the last "heavily defended" place on earth, then there would be no military power left on earth. And the guard who told Teal'c he couldn't have a staff weapon on Earth wasn't really much of a deterrent was he?? ;)
The Ashen must have ships, or else how would they have defeated the Go'auld??? And it wasn't clear whether the Go'auld were wiped out of just stopped from coming near Earth? I'm guessing wiped out by the free gate traffic around the universe.

One more point on the gate security. Why didn't someone pull the plug on the wormhole when the alarms went off? Would be a logical failsafe in the event of an attack from Earthside...

daniel did say something like 'even if what's left of all the military on the planet mobilized...'
and teal'c said, 'it would not defeat them' or something along that vein.
i think the varied peoples of earth sorta rallied together, unified by a common enemy, just like independence day...odd huh?
anyway, once the war with the goa'uld was over they realized they had no reason to fight amongst themselves and started to demobilize.
i mean the people i saw on the various street scenes looked more like something out of star trek, the happy-go-lucky-utopia.

as to the aschen lack of security, well they'd been on the planet for nearly 10 years and no one had given so much as a whimper, maybe they were lulled into a bit of a false sense of security(or just like the tollan, couldn't conceive of someone fighting them)

as to shutting down the gate...well if they'd done that it woulda been a bummer ending huh? :D

Perhaps in the vaccine for long life that caused infertility in the women who took it (we really don't know about the men)had a calming or sedative effect that inhibited aggressive action. Why weren't people up set about turning Jupiter into a sun. That would have warmed up the earth's atmosphere slightly! Increased radiation levels, increased green house effect?

What would another sun do to this system? Would it be a white giant or red dwarf.... When our sun becomes a dwarf in six billion years it will expand before the final contraction and vaporize all life on earth.

yes the whole jupiter thing was odd, i think it was probably put in to show how powerful the aschen are as opposed to any real reason why to do it.

I wonder what happened to the good old asgard and why they didn't know about this race already... you would have thought they would.

that bugs me too. the tollan ignoring us, that i can see, along with the nox. they don't give a fig what happens to other races, as long as they're not effected.
they said the tok'ra were pretty much gone but...hey i thought thor liked us, did we give him a parking ticket or something?
then again, thor really didn't seem too concerned when we were a hairs breath from losing our gate in fair game...

There are times that Thor reminds me of the (for some peoples) African High god who is there but does nothing until really pushed. Yest, Ithink the Asgard shuld know about these people but then again they are still bugged by their nemises.

'bugged by thier nemesis' ha, ha

could be, maybe the reps wiped them out?
or maybe they too asked the aschen for help and they weren't dumb enough?

I like your reply better, skydiver. And we know that if the Achen used some type of chemical or weapon specifically designed to kill goa'uld it would kill tok'Ra, also as they are just another variety of Goa'uld.

hey jsc long time no see!! workworkstudies...

u know one of my best scene in 2010 was the verbal fight ( scene de menage)between sam and joe , u know the whole "please that was different, it's the same, NO, it's exactly the same" thing.
and if i'd have to get myself a husband,i think i'd rather marry maybourne or even anise than this mister ambassador good for nothing ass in his head joe..
i mean have you seen his face!!!?? yuk yuk!! when i think she has slept in the same bed with him..brrr only the thought makes me shiver..
anyway i'm surprised that she chose him over our good colonel, not that i wanna see them together mind you, not before the very last episode of the very last season.
and as for jack, i really don't think he would leave like this and retire far from any civilisation, living in a cabin like a sad and lonely old man who must use his right hand more than often..
he wouldn't leave those he loved and who loved him back just like this, nono not possible.
well that's not the future i would have imagined anyway, i thought his team would mean more to him than that.
one last thing : what's the use of turning a planet into a star??
because a star is like a sun so if we had another sun instead of jupiter we would be toasts by now wouldn't we??
well i dunno my fields are only history and languages, not astrophisics, in fact am more of a daniel jackson than a sam carter..
whatever... joe die, martouf president!!!

"what does your dearly beloved ambassador think about all this?"
why does jack doesn't like joe? u right, u should have kicked his sorry ass.

mort aux boches et aux collabo!!!!!!!!!!
vive la resistance et de gaulle!!!!!!!!!

Hi stillzen, welcome back! Hope you were successful!

You also brought up the point that bothered me... Jupiter into another sun. Skydiver doesn't understand this also. I know it would raise the temp. of the earth alot and probably do a greenhouse effect. Not only would we not survive but what is the reason? We don't know what the Achen would gain from that. But gain they would.

I didn't like Joe but yes on Martouf!

this is it, sam went with joe because she couln't have martouf....snif snif...
MAKE HIM COME BACK PLLLLLLLEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
are the light and absolute power good aps?? i have them in asf but it's 2 am and am tired.... my mind is filled with ww2 and germans and collabos......

don't u think that the fourth season is kind of a revenge for sam??? over the self centric ******* that happens to be her CO?

just a stupid question that has nothing to do with stargate: what do american think about french? coz i heard some didn't like us... and i also heard that RDA said that france was an under developped country....
mister ex cock and bottle

Back