4.16: 2010

yeah it does seem weird that they would want to wipe out humans. There dosen't seem to be a lack of habitable planets so it is not exactly for "breathing room" i can only assume they thought humans were a potential threat. (their long term view?)

anyway it is strange that they bothered doing it nicely. Perhaps although they are technologically advanced a war is likely to cost them lives and perhaps some of their race died against the goa'uld. The other more sinister (and human possibility) is that the general public of their race have no idea what they are doing and once all the humans died they would just claim some disease of some type finished the humans off.. grasping at straws here. :)

Favourite Team !

I couldn't help laughing when the lady guide of the SGC said that SG-1 wasn't her favourite team <lol> They didn't take that too well - perhaps word of them saving the planet on a number of occasions wasn't in the glossy tour guide book !

that whole guide was so funny... "embarkation room" hehe.. you would think she would recognise sg-1 though in their not very disguised disguise :)

"Don't touch the fake gate cos you'll get fingerprints on it" :eek: :D

Maybe the Ashen just *really* like the planet Earth, and therefore needed a way to get the humans out of the way without toasting the place by killing us all in an outright attack!!

yeah.. perhaps it had something to do with that whole jupiter thing... why would they do that otherwise...?

I thought the show was obviously trying to make the guide out to be annoying intentionally. As for SG-1 not being her fave...maybe she has the hots for someone on one of the other teams :).

As for the gate defenses, I though they were rather simplistical,too. But if I could explain them away..rather poorly...maybe because of the extensive use of the gate they couldn't be overbearing in the defenses (like airline travel...we could have better defenses against terrorists but I dont think people would go for strip searches at the security checkpoints :) ). And the threat of terrorist attack might be less in 2010 so they might have not felt that a strong defense was necessary. Historically,most defenses are a response to a previous attack against a target and they may not have had an actual attack against the new Stargate port in DC.

As far as defending against incursions from the gate...The Gou'ald are dead...the snake menance is gone..eat,drink,be merry for the universe is ours...
Basically, the politicians have probably felt that there was only one real threat and now thats gone and any other possible threat (and the pols probably dont believe that there is one..at least their re-election promised safety and prosperity forever because of their leadership over the last few years) can be taken care off by earth military and Ashen tech after any alien beachhead is established. They thought it in 1914 and in 1938 so why not in 2010.

As for Sam's choice in husbands...my imagination doesn't reach that far.

As for Janet...the big plus for me is she appears to be still single and has plenty of free time for dating in the future. :)

The timeline issue....maybe the future of 1969 depended on the events of 2010...The timeline may not be a straight line but goes in zigzags...like going to leave the first room and going into a second room to get the keys to the door of the third room leading back in the first room...

The series has showed that alt.universes exist but the technology used to get their appears to be different from the gate tech (at least the device used is not part of the gate but a separate artifact). It can be argued that the gate operates solely within one universe but the mirror uses different physics to breach the walls between other universes. Therefore, the use of the gate to travel time is actually affecting their own timeline and not creating a new one. However, there maybe a timeline where they never used the gate,where Janet never offered to give Sam a checkup or even one where Sam was killed before she could get the paper through the gate. But the show is about SG-1 and their(our)timeline not another SG-1 in another timeline (where they die in Cheyenne Mt. fight Jaffa troops lead by First Prime,Teal'c or retire and open a Mcdonald's franchise on the Una's homeworld serving Goa'uld On A Stick in a special sauce).

that makes a lot of sense but the idea of a MacDonald's fanchise selling goa'uld on a stick.. now that is an intersting idea :)

Birth Rate Problem

What I thought was really interesting that the Goa'uld were no longer a threat and the Tok'Ra were a remnent and the
Jaffa had "few"(Teal'c's word)larva to implant. And the fact that there was a 90%+ drop in the World's childbirth rate. Women talk and Talk! The lack of a forum or fora (internet, TV, or dr. waiting rooms don't stop us! We still have word of mouth, letters and telephone!) Women want kids (usually) and wait impatiently for grandchildren ...
(My cousin's eldest and only daughter is having her first baby and it is a BIG event as it is My Aunt's first great grandchild) I can not immagine that stopping or the talk about it stopping! Obviously males wrote the script.
They did not solve this problem to my satisfaction! Men also want babies and they would notice the lack of them. My son's father was one who noticed babies, as does both of my brother's. I Think the writers really messed up on that one!
What happened to Gereral Carter/Selmak? We know what happened to Hammond!
LOVED THE FACT JANET was in there!

Jack and the Wire act, a reminder of MacGyver? What use was the Jack on a wire act? Just fun photography? Hey, I still thought the episode was interesting.... just to many obvious holes, though!

I liked this ep. But then again I like them all. I agree with whoever said that about Kinsey, WHYYY?

Can't see why Sam would chose to marry someone who doesn't what to see her in harms way. She was a soldier For cryin' out loud!

Teal'c's emblem seems to have been removed without even leaving a scar. Amazing!

And Jack had turned into a bitter old man either because nobody listened to him (which has happened before) or because Sam married such a loser.
Ach well.

very good point jsc about people not realising a 90% drop in birth rate... perhaps the Ashen were populating the forums or whatever with fake people saying "Oh we just had our 3rd kid, don't worry!"
Long shot, but hey why not... ;)

well aliens will always be banned from these forums just in case :)

jsc i do agree, i thought that as well - a little unlikely that no one noticed but would anyone with enough influence have "clicked" onto it i wonder. I would guess so as birth and death rates are a known statistic.

And perhaps sam got tired of being a soldior and once the need for war appeared to have ended wanted to "settle down", she is more of a scientist soldior than a soldior scientist anyway istn't she.

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT OUR BABIES WHO FOLOW US AROUND?

Or the Aschen whose names sounds like a sneeze? And What about Teal'c and Geronimo? Just what kind of Aliens did you have in mind?

Interesting comments from one and all about 2010.

I really would like to have seen it end with Fraiser coming back in and saying "Colonel O'Neill, it's your blood on the note." Don't ask me why? ;)

Anyone catch Jack's little comment about 'a nice pond with no fish in it'?

The idea that population growth could drop 90% and no one really notice it, is a little disturbing. I suppose that everyone was just so wrapped up in being glad that they had avoided a major battle with the Goa'uld, now had advanced technology, etc. that they weren't really thinking about having kids. However if you think about it, this has been happening over time, not all at once. So the numbers for each year were slowly dropping which in all probability everyone was glad to hear. It wasn't until Sam and Janet found out the statistics for the entire planet and how they add up in totallity that the insidiousness of the plan was revealed.

Anyway, that's just my rationale. More comments after I've watched it again. ;)

Cheers,

but birth rates and death rates are published yearly, i had to get them for economics projects i did at school and they are very readily avaliable. Someone would have noticed.. i think the "its only a tv show" bit comes in here.

jsc, aliens by select invitation only.. all of those you listed have invitations :)

finaly got to watch it. ya know there are times when i'm considering hopping across the pond for the next 6 weeks or so just so i can see it.

anyway, not bad. i was more than a little trepidicious about it cause i'd read part of the script and was afraid we were in for a ship fest.
it was good to see them all back together.
couple of nits though. the aschen can cure cancer and retard ageing...and they can't fix daniel's eyesight or the jaffa dependence on goauld?
anyone else just 'know' joe had to be involved somehow?

where was that discussion about bare feet? cause we can add sam's to the list.

and did anyone else notice the sound was a bit off? at first i thought it was just me but folks on a list have said the same thing.

all in all it was good and i'm really looking forward to danny whacking jack around next week...just don't spoil me please.

MythingLink,

I though that quote was appropro to the situation the earth's population was in.

Pond - beautiful to look at No fish- no on going life. Really loved that the resident ecology person (RDA) said it.

Also loved the way he correced the bad grammar "To whom" not to who and it was Joe he corrected. Yes I felt that JOE was involved even before reading the spoilers... just because of the Sam/Jack situaton!

anybody remember the movie backdraft?

in the opening scene and the hero discovers his old girlfriend is working for the alderman...right then and there i just KNEW the alderman was bad somehow and the hero was going to use his realtionship with the girlfriend to get some kind of info.

it is a bit of a cliche...in some shows if a hubby, boyfriend, wife, girlfriend just pops out of nowhere and has connections, the hero/heroine just has to USE those connections somehow.

still didn't make it a good one.

though, if joe knew about the declining birth rate he didn't put 2 and 2 together and wonder if his and sam's continued failure was part of it?
if he didn't he's mightly naive for a politician/ambassador

Just for grabbing at strings that He probably knew weren't there~ he might have thought his "Sam" was exempt or that they promised him something they had no intention of delivering. HE WAS REALLY THEIR PET HUMAN! And the more I learned the less I liked him. He kept playing Sam about the babies and he knew all along! The Freak! or should I say Quissling! Does anyone except MythingLink and me remember what Quisslings are?

Back