Reading is sexy...according to poll

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
This is an article on the Guardian blogs website: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/08/01/i_bet_you_look.html

a snippet:
Not only can you judge a book by its cover, it seems you can judge the person reading it, too. According to a survey of over 2,000 adults carried out by internet pollsters YouGov for Borders bookstore, books play a crucial role in influencing our opinions of strangers. Half of those asked admitted that they would look again or smile at someone on the basis of what they were reading.

I agree. Anyone reading a book gets an extra notch upwards in the 'attractive' scale.

Read the comments after the article - they are a treat.

Some books which would make me sit up and take notice: anything by Murakami; any Ishiguro after (and including) The Unconsoled; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer; early Updike; any of Rankin's Rebus books; any of Mankell's Wallander books; in fact, any Scandinavian mystery; any Paul Auster or Siri Hustvedt book; any Paul Theroux book (especially one of his travel books); anything by Christopher Hitchens; Lucky Jim.
Posted by joana on August 1, 2006 05:32 PM.
Offensive? Unsuitable? Report this comment.

Joana: you've pretty much summarised my literary tastes. what are you doing this weekend??? ;)
Posted by bananawater on August 1, 2006 05:38 PM.
Offensive? Unsuitable? Report this comment.

I thought this was fun!

Now if I saw a man reading Kate Elliott, I would talk with him even ask him out for lunch to continue our discussion. But alas, a man reading in these parts is rare and even rarer still to be reading Elliott's work.

I read the title of this thread as Reading in Berkshire - you know - the town. I worked there for years and although it's not bad it certainly isn't sexy.

Hmmm....I do all my reading in private...perhaps that's why I'm single:D

well, when my wife watches TV and i want to talk to her she says wait for the adverts... so i say the same when i'm reading and she wants my attention :D

"But there aren't any adverts!"
"And that's the way i like it!"

AH.....so that explains all those looks I keep getting from young ladies when out and about on public transport...:p

They said that women like you if you can make them laugh... I should be right in there then, women laugh at me all the time!

haha..oh no im inadvertantly doing it right now :D

lol actualyl i do like guys who read..but only because it means we share a(n) (un)common interest

What I found funny were the people slating the fact that others read Dan Brown in public but clearly they'd read him themselves to know how awful it was. Surely you can't judge someone for reading a book you're also read.

Heh, last month I was having a conversation with a girl on the train because she noticed I was reading Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

But here i'm usually always alone when wandering the fantasy sections :(