The silliest science fiction and fantasy movies of all time

I have seen many of these films talked about here many times. All good silly fun. (Sometimes that is the point of the film; just plain silly!)
For me, Dark Star and for sure Evil Dead 2...I think?

As it was said many, many years ago on this thread, if you haven't seen Dark Star, watch it. Forget the silly and enjoy the story! Beach Ball pet. Bomb 29.

Evil Dead 2 is so very campy, yet a fun comedy horror fantasy that makes Indeana Jones look bland. Come on! A lever ending lever action Winchester, a chain saw for a hand that, like Ashes car, never ever runs out of gas... in a fantasy Mid Evil England...Stick puppet skeletons in the for-ground with zombie actors in the background...good stop action too. :ROFLMAO:

Then there is always 'Hardware Wars' and the flashlight lightsaber. Talk about a bun hair doo!
And 'Closet Casses of the Nerd Kind'... Mash potatoes and Darth Vader on a chopper saying, "Don't block the road.' And monkey shine at the end...

Too many to choose from, all good and silly fun. I just 'Tremor 1-2-3' over all of them!

I have seen many of these films talked about here many times. All good silly fun. (Sometimes that is the point of the film; just plain silly!)
For me, Dark Star and for sure Evil Dead 2...I think?

As it was said many, many years ago on this thread, if you haven't seen Dark Star, watch it. Forget the silly and enjoy the story! Beach Ball pet. Bomb 29.

Evil Dead 2 is so very campy, yet a fun comedy horror fantasy that makes Indeana Jones look bland. Come on! A lever ending lever action Winchester, a chain saw for a hand that, like Ashes car, never ever runs out of gas... in a fantasy Mid Evil England...Stick puppet skeletons in the for-ground with zombie actors in the background...good stop action too. :ROFLMAO:

Then there is always 'Hardware Wars' and the flashlight lightsaber. Talk about a bun hair doo!
And 'Closet Casses of the Nerd Kind'... Mash potatoes and Darth Vader on a chopper saying, "Don't block the road.' And monkey shine at the end...

Too many to choose from, all good and silly fun. I just 'Tremor 1-2-3' over all of them!

Ive seen Darkstar several times . It's hilarious and fun to watch . Alan Dean Foster did a good novelization of this film.

Has anyone seen Terrorvision? That thing had me unplugging the failing CRT I had in my room.

I just watched a few criticisms of Iron Giant and it is a long string of contrivances but I don't care. Also, since one of the reviewers was a baby when it came out, he made me feel old by not knowing what a Poindexter was and going on about how Annie didn't seem at all concerned about Hogarth hanging out with Dean.

I don't really watch anything more horrible than Megamind or Monsters vs Aliens, though Rumble is a new fave that's up there.

The Fifth Element (1997) is pure guilty pleasure.

Piranha 3D (the 2010 remake) and Horns (2013, based on a Stephen King's son novel) are two great horror comedies directed by Alexandre Aja, one of my favorite directors.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars - When this film came out in 1964, I read a very positive review of it in Time magazine. I've never been able to figure that out. And now, 50 years later, the movie seems to be achieving some sort of Icon status. But I always thought it was silly and I haven't changed my mind.

Ive always liked this film. :cool:

Does anyone like the DragonHeart sequels? I'd only seen New Beginning which felt like the pilot to a TV series and Vengeance which is a pretty solid story though not amazing. While looking it up, I saw that the sequels other than Vengeance are considered bad.

The Fifth Element (1997) is pure guilty pleasure.
Let go of the guilt. As Dr. Ruth used to say, "Just enjoy it." Of course the performances are over the top. They are supposed to be overdone.... they could've easily made this movie with Lucy Liu, Kurt Russell, R. Lee Ermey, Jim Carrey, Tim Curry, Tina Fey, Martifn Short, and/or Robin Williams. I love seening Holm and Oldman, who have turned in may subtle performances, go for the big expressions and obvious tropes. I love how Willis blunders his way through and Jovovich blithely blabbers on (mull-tee-passss) while Tucker's vocal antics are top notch.

Let go of the guilt. As Dr. Ruth used to say, "Just enjoy it." Of course the performances are over the top. They are supposed to be overdone.... they could've easily made this movie with Lucy Liu, Kurt Russell, R. Lee Ermey, Jim Carrey, Tim Curry, Tina Fey, Martifn Short, and/or Robin Williams. I love seening Holm and Oldman, who have turned in may subtle performances, go for the big expressions and obvious tropes. I love how Willis blunders his way through and Jovovich blithely blabbers on (mull-tee-passss) while Tucker's vocal antics are top notch.
The Fifth Element is a pure joy to watch . Im glad it exists because if it didn't, we wouldn't have Terry Pratchett's novel The Fifth Elephant.:D

Yeah I kinda changed my opinion on it after reading an article discussing how it predicted modern times. Someone posted the article on this forum.

There's a film on next week (UK) on the Talking Pictures channel - Invasion of the Bee Girls

"A powerful cosmic force is turning Earth women into queen bees who kill men by wearing them out sexually."

Yep. It's a 1970s sexploitation film trying to pass itself off as sci-fi

There's a film on next week (UK) on the Talking Pictures channel - Invasion of the Bee Girls

"A powerful cosmic force is turning Earth women into queen bees who kill men by wearing them out sexually."

Yep. It's a 1970s sexploitation film trying to pass itself off as sci-fi
Invasion of the Bee Girls. Well, to each his own. I'd have prefered Invasion of the C girls.

I think movies like Dark Star and Killer Klowns are cheating since they are intentionally silly. (Anyway I found Killer Klowns to be pretty dull after the first viewing- I had some friends who adored the movie and insisted on watching it every Halloween).

Maybe the filmography of Uwe Boll would be more fitting for the thread. Here's a guy who is absolutely convinced he's a genius and, for a while, got inexplicable budgets to make one gloriously crappy movie after another.

I think movies like Dark Star and Killer Klowns are cheating since they are intentionally silly. (Anyway I found Killer Klowns to be pretty dull after the first viewing- I had some friends who adored the movie and insisted on watching it every Halloween).

Maybe the filmography of Uwe Boll would be more fitting for the thread. Here's a guy who is absolutely convinced he's a genius and, for a while, got inexplicable budgets to make one gloriously crappy movie after another.
If Uwe Boll had stuck with being a producer and let everyone else do the directing and writing on his movies, he'd be a major player Hollywood right now.

Reptilicus 1961 It got the mystery Science 3000 treatment. This film is silly at so many levels ` :D

Last edited:

Back