The silliest science fiction and fantasy movies of all time

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
And though I didn't include it in the title, let's add horror movies to the list as well. :) What makes these films so silly and preposterous and yet they still have entertainment value regardless.:)

Last edited:
Surely this has to begin with Dark Star.
The idea of sending out a bunch of bored hippies to blow up "unstable planets" using state of the art AI installed in bombs is totally silly.
Add to it the alien and a commander who can still talk (like a soup dragon) despite being dead.

I'm trying to describe the silliness without giving too much away, because it was a truly enjoyable film at the time, if it's now very dated.
Watch it if you haven't seen it, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by its special effects or its pace or depth.

Surely this has to begin with Dark Star.
The idea of sending out a bunch of bored hippies to blow up "unstable planets" using state of the art AI installed in bombs is totally silly.
Add to it the alien and a commander who can still talk (like a soup dragon) despite being dead.

I'm trying to describe the silliness without giving too much away, because it was a truly enjoyable film at the time, if it's now very dated.
Watch it if you haven't seen it, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by its special effects or its pace or depth.

I like to think of that film as a precursor to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf :)

As I briefly alluded to elsewhere, I really enjoyed Eight Legged Freaks. It was stupid, preposterous, and to say the acting was phoned in implies a level of professionalism that would prevent anyone with it from ever agreeing to that script. All that aside, though, I got exactly what I hoped to get out of the movie: a few laughs and enough entertainment to kill a couple hours. I wouldn't buy it on DVD, but I probably wouldn't change the channel if it came on while I was browsing.

Besides, I always had a thing for Kari Wurher since Remote Control, even if she did help kill Sliders.

The Terranauts 1967 . A robot that looks like a mobile lamp stand kidnaps a group of Earthling to stop Marauding alien spaceships from devastating Earth and other planets in the Galaxy. This film is hoot. :)

My favourite of recent years is Mega Python Vs Gatoroid.
It features Mickey Dolenz as himself, plus it teams up those two icons of 80s teenage pop music: Debbie Gibson & Tiffany.
Plus of course there are lots of ridiculous giant alligators and snakes - all rendered in cheapo tacky effects.
If you liked Sharknado, you'll like this.

It features Mickey Dolenz as himself, plus it teams up those two icons of 80s teenage pop music: Debbie Gibson & Tiffany.
Plus of course there are lots of ridiculous giant alligators and snakes - all rendered in cheapo tacky effects.
I read that quickly and thought it said Monty Python Vs Gatoroid, not sure if that would have been any sillier.

I love Micky Dolenz! I didn't know he was in that.

Including 'horror' means the list is massive, surely? What with all the Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, Big Ass Spider, Zombeavers etc. etc. out there. (My fave is 2-Headed Shark Attack).

Silliest Fantasy? The Dark Crystal is kinda daft, isn't it.

Invasion of the Saucer Men 1957 essentially is a scfi comedy. Hilariously funny these aliens who have ridiculously large craniums also have have claws which are loaded with alcohol, if you get stabbed buy them It causes drunkenness. It's pretty silly stuff. :)

Well, there's always Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. The list wouldn't be complete without that.

And, while I love it to death, Forbidden Planet wasn't exactly lacking in silliness, either.

Spaced Invaders 1990 A group of bumbling aliens picking up Orson Wells famous War of the Words broadcast land on earth during Halloween , to help the invading Martians. They think it's for real. It's silly and hilarious. :D

Iron Skies. Started out as a spoof film about invading Nazis from the Moon, then 2/3 of the way through the film the director seems to get thrown through a window and wakes up with a personality change, as the film turns very quickly into a political, serious film about humanity's hunger for resources and destruction.

Back