Discussion Thread - SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE March 2013

Good entries everyone, and still with a lot of time left to post.

Is the smiley :) our new way of referencing Bowler in a post? :p;)

AlcubierreWarp - looks like Tom is having a rough time of it after nearly stealing the chocolate bar lol

One is wondering what he will get upto next. Maybe that should be the title of a challenge at some point - what did Tom from March 2013 do next.

What a start to the month, we're off and running at a tremendous pace with some superb entries, so I figure I better get my finger out and start a-writing. (Comments, not stories)

Bowler1 - Flash! Saviour of the Universe! If ever there was a hero who was a singular hero, then it's Flash, a hero re-invented so many times that he is the quintessential modern character; with his eternal nemesis, Ming the perfect villain. Here though there is not Flash per se, instead we have a twist as Ming invades a magic based world. Seems that the old truth about certain bad guys setting themselves up to get defeated is true once more. An epic, fun start to this month's challenge.

Aber - One of those stories that is nebulous in nature, the act of heroism in fact committed in the name of forwarding evil. It might only be 75 words but the concept here is HUGE; that a man could be good and might die as a good person, but within thirty dies might become bad, which makes him worth saving by the wrong forces is mind bendingly brilliant.

Luiglin - Playing on the old western duel, we get the mundane made huge, a showdown of epic proportions; the young challenger, the laid back old 'master', who is also the bad guy, but just being bad does not mean that you are destined to lose. With age comes experience, knowledge and power. I'm pretty sure Tiddles time will come, but not yet...

Karn - There is the feeling here that it is a matter of perspective, there are no heroes and villains, that it just depends on which side you are standing. The protagonist seems to have a grudge against humanity, and is seeing their approach as a spider sees a fly. But this time humanity has come hunting, and she becomes the hunted. Just who the hero and villains are here does not really matter, both sides are, and that is what makes the story so spectacular.

kromanjon - Another excellent story that presents itself with tension. Two foes face each other across a busy roadway. Once more it does not matter who the good or bad is, instead it is the struggle that matters; winning and losing making the decision about who is the villain and hero. Very well told, with the tension of the fight adding to the overall tale.

Thank you for that lovely review, Perp. :)

AlcubierreWarp - looks like Tom is having a rough time of it after nearly stealing the chocolate bar lol

One is wondering what he will get upto next. Maybe that should be the title of a challenge at some point - what did Tom from March 2013 do next.

Well, if I win this competition, then I promise to make the next theme:
"What happened to Tom?"

And with that, I think I've effectively eliminated my already slim 1% chance of winning!

Actually, I saw in these discussion comments your convo about Tom and decided to name my character Tom for that reason (and also because it's my own name).

Also: Thanks for the review Victoria!

Sorry for the double post! I've decided to attempt to review every story this month. This is my first time trying anything of the sort, so please don't get insulted or take anything personally if I didn't understand your story!

Bowler1
Wizards vs. Aliens – a unique perspective and outcome. Aliens are portrayed as winning, but we all know the wizards would ultimately win with Magic! Fantasy indeed!

Abernovo
A story about a pious man’s soul and its future demise. Although I had to look up the definition of succubus to understand the story, I loved the twist at the end.

Luiglin
A “fight” between a heroic cat and a lazy fox, seems to end before it’s started. I liked the appropriate name Felix, and the method that Tiddles defeated Felix.

Karn Maeshalanadae
An epic hero vs. villain story, with the prey/hunter reversal. The hero truly represents the stereotypical hero, performing the task to make the world a safer place.

Kromanjon
Two strangers fight a secret battle which no one else sees. A battle of will, the protagonist is revealed as the villain.

Glitch
Hero and villain, as one and the same. I enjoyed the fact that the two characters are revealed to be two facets of the same character. It also explores deeper ideas – was the hero about to slay the villain, or kill himself to keep the evil from acting out?

Victoria Silverwolf
A heroine that brings both good and evil into the world, keeping the balance. She seems to empathize with humanity even though she is forced to harm them.

Juliana
Tom is both a hero and a villain, understanding the fine line between truth and history. He sees an opportunity to protect himself and his friends, and grabs it to cover his misdeeds. It brings to mind the truism that the only difference between a hero and a villain is how history records their deeds.

Hex
A little girl who yearns to be a hero, and has researched the path to fighting the darkness finds out that she’s not the hero she was led to believe. Can she fight her destiny and follow a path towards the light? This is definitely a story that I wish was 100 000 words longer.

Lenny
Snap, Crackle and Pop, beloved childhood cereal characters are actually evil masterminds set to take over the world. I thought this was extremely creative, although it’s ruined my breakfast plans for the next while.

AMB
An epic fight to the death between a human hero and the Faerie Kind is revealed as a fight to the virtual death. Lovely twist (although I guessed as soon as I read “healing potions”). I can’t help but feel as if the Faerie King cheated though.

BigJ
The villain wins! A powerful protagonist stops time to end the villain’s plans of feeding on the humans, only to be defeated by the strength of his powers. Powerful religious imagery with the angelic white robes of the hero and the fiery hellish powers of the villain.

Springs
Another hero that is also a villain, his fury fuels his power, and helps him destroy an infuriating gift shop.

Talysia
A hero that does her job in secret, using her small gifts to make a difference in the world. It reminds us that not every hero has to have superhuman strength and powers to affect change – sometimes small abilities can make the difference.

AnyaKimlin
Why is it that Tom seems to get into so much trouble this month? A young potential shoplifter is caught red handed while debating whether or not to steal a chocolate bar. His internal monologue between his literal angelic and demonic sides cause him to hesitate and get caught. In the end, he’s not cool with either mom or the gang.

Ratsy
A desperate husband seeks to exorcize a demon that is possessing his wife, in order to save her soul and their marriage. Invoking a magic incantation (or a religious one), he manages to succeed, and good triumphs over evil.

Glisterspeck
An assassination attempt on a church cardinal, using religious relics in modern ammunition. The protagonist is neither a hero nor a villain; again another reminder that we are remembered by what is written about us. In this case, twitter, a modern take on the history books.

Well, if I win this competition, then I promise to make the next theme:
"What happened to Tom?"

And with that, I think I've effectively eliminated my already slim 1% chance of winning!

Actually, I saw in these discussion comments your convo about Tom and decided to name my character Tom for that reason (and also because it's my own name).

Also: Thanks for the review Victoria!

LOL That solves the discussion I was having with hubby. I just plucked it out of the ether as a normal easy name - one that fits in a contemporary world ;)

Thanks Victoria Silverwolf and AlcubierreWarp for the reviews.

We have a lot of people reviewing now. Good stuff.

Thank you PM and AlcubierreWarp for the reviews - both fair as far as I'm concerned.

Glitch
Hero and villain, as one and the same. I enjoyed the fact that the two characters are revealed to be two facets of the same character. It also explores deeper ideas – was the hero about to slay the villain, or kill himself to keep the evil from acting out?

Thanks for the review AlcubierreWarp.

Heroes and villains? This seems just made for DEO! Hmmm contemporary fantasy less fun for me though! This will need some working on :)

I needed to work on it, especially to banish the little gremlins of Ooops-too-many-words. But it's done.

Oh, I like this one. No ideas at all but this will be fun :)

(fingers crossed the dark and stormy knight comes back!)

Oh, Hex. You should see what inspired the villain in this one. May have to post it after the challenge is over. Not exactly what you had fingers crossed for...

Back