Discussion Thread - SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE March 2013

Glitch – There is a level of subtext here that is rather clever. On a cursory inspection it could well be a person staring at themselves in the mirror playing a simple game; but it could be deeper. What if it is indeed a fairy battling itself, a simple reflection the darker part of its soul desperate to escape. Just as well for tea then!

Victoria – A beautiful/terrible balance between good and evil. Where pain and hurt is eased on one day it seems that it is only right that it should be given another. The idea of balance between good and evil is an excellent one, well presented and told.

Juliana – Sometimes in the moments of pressure the best decisions can be made, of course the opposite is true as well, so when the way to save yourselves is to become a superhero group a great future may await. Of course the fact that they killed a goblin might have weighed in their favour anyway and trouble avoided.

Hex – There is the old saying: Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it. The same holds through about jumping to conclusions. Here the protagonist seems to have been set up, after all we do not know who sent her the dreams; preparing her for a life she could only have dreamed about. Unfortunately it seems that she will be forced to walk the other one, one that may well be oblivion.

Lenny – If ever there was a story that was designed to bend your mind and raise a smile it is this one. I could only do a giant sized David Tennant WHAT? As I began to read. Snap, Crackle and Pop evil elves determined to conquer Kelloggs and the world. Mad, bad and utterly brilliant. Will keep me entertained for days.

Luiglin - Playing on the old western duel, we get the mundane made huge, a showdown of epic proportions; the young challenger, the laid back old 'master', who is also the bad guy, but just being bad does not mean that you are destined to lose. With age comes experience, knowledge and power. I'm pretty sure Tiddles time will come, but not yet..

Luiglin
A “fight” between a heroic cat and a lazy fox, seems to end before it’s started. I liked the appropriate name Felix, and the method that Tiddles defeated Felix.

Thanks both :)

Well , I'm posted. Inspiration struck at 2am (work in 6 hours - arrghh!).

I enjoyed this month's challenge, and can now look forward to enjoying reading everyone else's entries.

Thanks for the reviews, you guys :)

My pleasure, as always.

Speaking of reviews and comments:

AMB – As I started to read this one I wondered just how it was going to fit into the modern fantasy setting, and thought there might have been a mistake, but the misdirection was part of the cleverness of the piece. It transpires that it seems to be a computer game... or is it, perhaps what we actually have are multiple fates being decided by playing games. Fairies in the modern day eh? Great idea, great story!

BigJ – A soilid tale that plays with the concept that not everything is as it seems, or perhaps the old saying that it is always the quiet ones. Who would suspect that some quiet bookish type is in fact a big power than a showy power filled attacker? One who is so easily put into her place. Better yet there is the feel that this could well be a story that could work well in longer format.

Springs – A welcome revisiting of a classic myth, but more than just that asks the interesting question of just what these characters of legend would think of modern perceptions of them. Even more potent, how would they react at seeing their works being reduced to the thing of tourist attractions and stories tat perhaps belittle their deeds. Not to well. Apparently.

Talysia – It's hard to define just how I want to describe this story. It is simple, but beautiful because of it, almost magical. That injustice can be fought through the eyes of something as innocuous as a bird is truly wonder, a different perspective, and in many ways more powerful than all the battles for justice ever fought.

Anya – This could be considered just a normal case of a young boy fighting against his good and bad sides, as he comes of age and the temptations between right and wrong that come with it, but the end turns that around, a shopkeeper brandishing a wand is an excellent issues, and suddenly makes the reader re-evaluate the story. Perhaps those pervasive voices are actually there, and perhaps Tom can see them, but can the shopkeeper?

As always a pleasure to do Talysia, I really liked the idea of fighting crime/injustice in such a non aggressive manner!

AW, thankyou for your generous comments, and of course, Perp, who was spot on. :) I love it when we have lots of comments (tail between my legs at lack of time to do so myself.) :)

Woohoo! I got it right! I've always loved the story of the Giant's Causeway, and I've never seen it. That's one thing I'll have to rectify soon!

Back