Discussion Thread - SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE March 2013

paranoid marvin -- a very funny poem (I heard it in my head as a really fast song) with a hilarious last line

Dead Seed -- (first post -- welcome) -- good characterization in this psychological study

johnnyjet -- Unique and very creative, as well as evocative of what is to come

chrispenycate -- presents the rarely-seen point of view of an average person in extraordinary circumstances

AMB and Anya, the pleasure was all mine. (You know it is easy to say that, but when reading these stories and the quality and imagination that comes with them it is doubly true)

Thankyou Victoria. My favourite poet is William Blake who intended his work to be sung, so your comments make me very happy. I always find the last lines/stanza to be the toughest, especially when attemping a humorous ending.

Well, thank you Victoria! :)

Lightning Response Silverwolf - that's what we ought to name you!;)

Having just read your story, I find that rather alarming.

She was tall, with a great built, wearing tight clothes, friendly and standing in front of a seasonal display (Easter of course). I happened to be thinking of a story idea for the 75 at the time, and my mind switched on an idea. I'm not kidding.

Thanks, Victoria, for the nice comments on my entry.

Any of that winter storm come your way? I'm working from home today looking out my window at a winter wonderland.

Ratsy – A really great entry that leads you happily up the garden path and back again. I was convinced this was going to be some hard story about demon battling, but it turned out to be a wonderful little tale with a hard shell and a soft gooey centre. I really did not see the end coming, and it was touching, and emotional. No mean feat for 75 words.

Glisterspeck – If there was ever going to be an entry that merges fantasy with the modern world for me, this one managed it. Just the description of the altered bullets was brilliant, almost overshadowing the target. There is enough nebulous nature here for the reader to make up his own mind. Are the forces of evil removing a threat from the good, or is there something more about the cardinal, something that makes the killing the work of heroes.

Alcubierre – First up – Shadow Proclamation, how could I not love a story with them in it! And what a good story. I am sure there is nothing mundane about firefighting, but it is part of the modern world, here given a supernatural twist. Not only is fire dangerous, it is also alive and needs to be combated in so many different ways. A look through a window onto a twisted world, great idea, well executed.

Mangara – One of the shortest entries I've seen, but it is complete in it's succinctness, showing things at a slightly different angle. In a time and place where modern techniques are not enough to save a life, perhaps a sideways slant to more 'incredible' means is the way to go, it may well give you much more than can be wished for.

DEO – I am uncertain what to write about this one ;) I mean what can be said for a truly insane entry that takes Heisenberg, one of the masters of theoretical physics and turns him to a 'smash you in the face' superhero? Off centre, totally imaginative and a great rollicking tale, turned classic by the way the last line changes the game.

Ratsy – A really great entry that leads you happily up the garden path and back again. I was convinced this was going to be some hard story about demon battling, but it turned out to be a wonderful little tale with a hard shell and a soft gooey centre. I really did not see the end coming, and it was touching, and emotional. No mean feat for 75 words

Thank you so much Perp, that means a lot coming from you.

Thanks to the other reviewers as well. It is nice to see so many peoples comments on all the stories.

A pleasure ratsy.

The additional comments recently have been a lot of fun, it's really nice to be on the receiving end!

Howdy,
After a week of trying (and spending $150 with computer guy) I finally was able to log in. Thanks to Brian Turner.
Thanks for mentions to last months story, Paw's happy.
Thanks Dusty Zebra for passing on last months vote, didn't want to miss the chance to vote for a great entry.
Guess I'd better start thinking of a story for March.
Bob

Ok, I've posted, before I read and reviewed, as I like to do traditionally. Now it's time to review.

Bowler1 - Ming from Mongo sending war robots, and using rockets to blast deadly RAYS on magical folk, very good idea. But in Fairy Wood, the conqueror, has become the conquered.

Abernovo - The devil protecting and savoring his next victim, awaiting to collect the mortal soul of a priest!. Yikes! A diabolically delightful tale.

Luiglin - Felix vs Tiddles in a nonchalant face-off, very entertaining and funny. I really liked the words you used to describe the characters and their actions.

Karn Maeshalanadae - I looked up "Baobhan Sith", and I think you are reffering to the politician named Fey. If this is so, then you made a very humorous and wild story.

Kromanjon - Chad vs a stranger, with stronger powers, and perhaps a purer heart. A tale which reminds me of the movie Scanners (1981), I like that.

Glitch - Whoa, you caught me off guard, with your tale about a man who sees the best and worst of himself as he looks into a mirror. Toying with the idea of both sides of himself doing combat against each other. Good stuff.

Victoria Silverwolf - This is quite a character you've created. Francesca, with the fantastic power to help or harm humans, choosing when to do good, and when to commit evil. Wickedly cool.

Juliana - Wow, this is what I think about some superheros. Do they at times, go too far? Do they cross the line where justice, becomes a crime. Awesome story!

Hex - I like this tale, a girl dreaming she is a champion with great powers, only discovers that she is really evil. Spooky, and very good story.

Lenny - Excellent! You made me chuckle and smile with your very amusing and enchanting tale. Very cool man.

Karn Maeshalanadae - I looked up "Baobhan Sith", and I think you are reffering to the politician named Fey. If this is so, then you made a very humorous and wild story.

Alas, no. The term "fey" has often been used interchangeably with "faerie" and that's kind of what I did here. I was trying to better base it off of Celtic and Norse mythology.

A Baobhan Sith is supposed to be one of the faerie races of Celtic mythology and is pretty well equated with a female vampire.

Back