Varys again (ADWD and beyond)

I don't think Warging is a Stark thing exactly, but it does seem to be a Northern thing. Didn't the Wildlings know about wargs (or am I just mis-remembering?) I thought they were pretty much common knowledge beyond the wall.

So, if Varys is in fact an agent of The Others, then he would originally be from the North and could very well be a warg! (I don't really believe this unfortunately :p)

No, what I was saying is that warging is a Stark thing for the purposes of this series (ASOIAF). I.e. we're not going to see any other characters running around with that ability. We know there are other wargs out there but they are just not a part of this story.

Very good points. I think it's probable that something is up with that cat. The idea of familiars has not been introduced in this series, so while it's possible, I don't think it's likely that GRRM will pull that one out of thin air.

I don't really know what's up with the cat, Balerion. Maybe GRRM is using him as symbolism to signal the return of the Targs to power or to signal Varys' motivations or even the return of dragons to the world. That cat has survived for years in much the same way that Dany has survived. Could be that he's been "holding" the castle awaiting her return. Something like that.

I think the cat represents the poor baby girl he could not save and he sees the child he was in that girl.

I think a more likely theory to explain Varys instead of him being a warg is that he is a closet R'hollor priest that can see into the fire like Melissandre. His motives are the same as Melissandre's.

One of my favorite subjects and favorite characters. I started a thread a while back where I speculated that Varys might be a Faceless Man, or at the very least, connected with them is some way.

find it here

As you pointed out, the name Varys sounds both Targ-like, and also sound like "varies", implying something about change IMO. The idea of his "little birds" giving him all of his information also seems to be unbelievable. He just knows to much, has access to too much information and too many places. I think there's more to him than meets the eye. His remarkable ability to change his appearance. the fact that we have only his word for the "fact" that he is a eunuch. His connection to illyrio, and Illyrio's silver-blond haired wife.

I also found the Kevan chapter revealing. Who are "the children" that Varys speaks of when he says that's his reason for doing what he is doing? Certainly not the children of the small folk. Or the children of even the nobles. Does he mean the children/child slain by Gregor? Does he mean The Children of the forest?

Your point about Tommen seeing "the bad cat" is very interesting. Varys being a Warg would explain a lot. I look forward to seeing responses. As I said, I love this topic :)

Could Varys be an Targryen relative of some kind, and wanting to restore the Great dynasty sort of speak you know "the children" and all.

Tl;dr: Varys is basically just a master manipulator with no special powers other than being really smart.

I'll leave his motivations for wanting the Targs back in power for someone else to explain.

Hmmm... I dunno... In the Game of Thrones when Varys visited Ned's prison under Red Keep, he did in fact had a look different, and the way I read it was *another person entirely*. After some books later I always suspected he was a shapeshifter (of sorts), the only ones we know in the book are the Faceless Man (no warging required lol)

Another point: In Kevan's chapter, "the children with daggers" seemed very interesting intoduction for me and more sway toward Varys being a FM. First of all, the small girl that was training Arya in the Temple of Black and White, was small and looked like a child, but in fact was a 30 year old woman. And there was some excuse how poison made her that way. Second, in order for Varys to have a reliable network of "little birds" they need to be trained and couched. Well we saw exactly that in the faceless man training "learning new things are good". Since children are easily distracted and they HAVE to be able to tell the TRUTH from the lie, otherwise all of the info Varys learns will be no more that rumors.
And there we have it a band of "little birds", trained and proven at the Temple of Black and White with Varys in charge.

The question remains, why such dedication to Targryens? He could have had peace with Lannisters in charge... Well maybe he was afraid that when Dany comes back she'll wreck even more chaos with Tywin in power

Last edited: