Is Varys a Targ?

I'm just wondering which of Robert's Bastards showed perverse pride in him being their father.

The Bull i think knows, but acts like he doesn't care, The Mule has only referenced to her father about remembering being thrown up in the air by him. The Storm feelings are that of any son towards his father. And not unusual given that he was a Great ******* (natural son of Baratheon and Estermont), raised in Storm's End (his ancestral house) by people who adored the boy and loved Robert, and where quick to note the resemblance. The others are barely mentioned. It was the Young Whore, the Babe's mother who loved Robert.

Can't remember Robert's bastards being overly proud.

No doubt there are lineages who have targ blood in them, but i do believe there isn't anyone left besides those two whose last name is targaryen.

Personally, I think Varys is a eunuch, with no blood relations to the Targs.

But it is possible that he does have blood relations whether he carries their name or not. Robert did not carry the Targaryen name, but he was a blood relative. My point here is that his claim to the throne was better than Eddard's, and better than that of everyone else who fought on the winning side of the rebellion. There is much to be said about an untrustworthy and bald foreign eunuch with a very dangerous tendency to aid the former kings of Westeros.

Until GRRM says one way or another, the possibilities for Varys could lead all the way to the iron throne. It's highly unlikely he even has that ambition, but it is possible nonetheless.

It was Edric I was thinking of. This is just speculation and I'm not pretending otherwise. We all have our crackpot theories, this is one of mine. :p

I like this theory. Surely Varys has no last name because he is lowborn in Essos? He is definitely at least from Essos, and probably low born as he makes friends with Illyrio over there before coming to Westeros.

The bit I most like is that he knows the ins and outs of the keep which may make him a descendant of some Targeryn, probably Blackfyre who fled across the narrow sea, and has somehow retained this knowledge. However, Varys is very good at getting info so...

The -ys name thing is also intriguing. Are there counter examples? We know he plays with names like this from the Alleras Sarella thing.

It's a shame he had to [ADWD spoilers] kill Kevan, but then Kevan IS a Lannister through and through, and he was right.....had Kevan had his way he would've restored peace to the realm and given a war-weary kingdom good cause to oppose any new challengers to the throne (why upset the apple cart).[/spoilers]

I for one believe him when he says he serves the realm. He's no Ned Stark, but his motives are infinitely more pure (by my estimation) than Littlefinger or Cersei and dozens more.

Very much agreed. Varys seemed to deeply regret having to kill Kevan going as far as to say that Kevan is a good man, but in service to the wrong cause and that there are many such men. He seemed very honest there perhaps because he had no reason to lie.

Going of the tangent a bit regarding honesty, I think that is the one scene where Varys is completely honest about everything and that is the only scene that make me think that Aegon isn't a fake. Varys is talking to Kevan there. He already made sure there are no witnesses so his game would work and that Kevan would die. Out of all the scenes with Varys, that one and the one with Ned in the dungeons are the only ones where I felt he was being honest because he respected both men and for the one with Kevan, because he knew Kevan was about to take his words to the grave.