Similar Stuff

Kaylo Mizuri

The Forgotten Soul
Does antbody know of any other authors who write a similar style of fantasy to Gemmell. I can't find anybody everyone else seems to write about Elves and Unicorns and stuff and that's not my thing really.

George RR Martin is mainly men and swords, though not as much heroic fantasy as Gemmell. Or you could try the conan books.

Theres GRRM as mentioned above, Steven Erikson, Paul Kearney, Ian Graham also got a quote from him but he's still working on his second book. Other than that depends what sort of thing youre after, for example if you're more the Spirit of Man type of person Bernard Cornwell has done some good stuff, ie Warlord Chronicles, Grail Quest and also his current Uhtred series.

Yeah I dunno. It's more the style of Gemmels books. They have sort of a reallistic feel to them. You don't get a guy who's like look at me I'm evil and you're good so I'll have to kill you. Everyone is like a real person. And I don't want unicorns and stuff.

Kaylo Mizuri said:
Yeah I dunno. It's more the style of Gemmels books. They have sort of a reallistic feel to them. You don't get a guy who's like look at me I'm evil and you're good so I'll have to kill you. Everyone is like a real person. And I don't want unicorns and stuff.

In that case you definitely want to give GRRM's first book "A Game of Thrones" a try. Stick past the opening chapter or two and it really hooks you in :)

You could try my stuff. Gemmell was one of the major influences in my work. If I were to recommend something, then I'd say try Imperial Spy - my heroes are not quite the 'larger than life' types that Gemmell used, but it is heroic fantasy without all the elves and unicorns nonetheless.

James Barclay, is the man... a close friend of Gemmell and I think, a brilliant author of heroic fantasy... his Raven series is a great read.

Not read any of Barclay's stuff, but I've noted the name as another to look out for in future. Thanks for that tip. I've always liked Gemmell's work and haven't really found anyone elst that comes close to his brand of heroic fantasy yet.

Yea, I think there are better writers out there, and some manage to uncover more depth from their characters, but I think Gemmell has few equals when it comes to pure, entertaining, heroic fiction.

Not heroic fantasy per se, but if you want gritty, entertainment from your fantasy, check out Scott Lynch's debut Lies of Locke Lamora and also Matthew Stover's brilliant Heroes Die and its sequel, The Blade of Tyshalle... featuring one of the best characters in my humble opinion, Caine.

I'd echo those who mentioned Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire for great writing full of heroes and villains.

I also really enjoyed Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders... and whilst I haven't read the Fitz novels, many say the Assassin's Apprentice series is even better than Liveship!

I'm actually reading James Barclay's Cry of the Newborn, the first book in his new series, and it is excellent! Very ambitious and similar in style to Gemmell... some great battle scenes.

Stan Nicholls is agood author. While his books have Centaurs, Trolls, Goblins and such, none of them are doing busines as usual, with a very gritty writing style and, as the late, great Gemmell put it, "wall to wall action". I recommend him hugely.

DrosDelnoch - you get everywhere! Next time I think you should win the award for most prolific poster of all time! :p

Mark Chadbourn is great - no elves although of other wierd beasties from different myths.

Eric S Nylund

Trudi Canavan

Stephen Lawhead

James Clemens is good as well. I adore his Godslayer Chronicles.

GRRM's first book "A Game of Thrones many people have recomended to me.

Are there anyone else that is as epic as DG and has a good mix of magic and manly men with swords? To me it doesnt matter if its elvs and stuff or mostly manly men with swords as long as its very good.

For example i read R.A. Salvatore's first book in Demon Wars saga and it was decent but the writing and characters was not that good.

Gemmell's Rigante series is actually my first fantasy series that i have read from start to finish. Now that i know there is
a master in heroic fantasy, i am looking for other masters. They dont have to be alot similer to DG just great at what they do and not too wordy i hate that.

To be honest theres no one like DG out there. Conn Iggulden is perhaps the closest although he's a historical fiction author. Fantasy wise you'd have to go with either Stan Nicholls or perhaps James Barclay but personally theres no one really on the same level as DG for me.

I dont really want someone similer anymore cause i know there arent anyone like DG. He is the best at what he does and he is enough for me.

Also why waste time with someone similer that isnt as good when you read him ;)

I don't think the question was around similar authors per se or copies... every author has their own voice and I too would not be interested in a poor man's David Gemmell.

The original question asked for similar styles... which is gritty, heroic fantasy for adults and there are plenty of authors out there who fit into that.

I wasnt talking about the original question but when i read DG first i for some reason thought there were similer authors which i havent seen.

I have read other heroic fantasy, while they arent as good there are several good writers. For example i have seen Feist is good.