Best spaceship?

the city ship in rama, is a beauty. of course the original enterprise was grand. i would hate to be caught by a war bird or bird of prey, but for me i love the elegance of the Nautilice. ok, not a space ship, but a magnificent craft all the same.

Robotech/Macross Super Dimentional Fortress-1 and almost anything human use in this manga.

Ones that are really cool to fly are the Erynies in the PC game Freespace 2 or the Excalibure in Wing Commander 3.

The Borgs have spherical ships, can't realy think of any others eccept the ones in Captain Pickard but, they were more like bioshpers or contained habitats then actual ships with the biosphere on the inside of the shperical ships walls, similary to the original Rama. Spherical may not be as impressive as those streamlined designs but I would think more eficient. Instead of turning like a conventional ship they can just change directions on a dime, like some UFO sightings reported by so many. With the abilety to slip stream interdimentionaly at an instant, thus the winking out.

Personally, I loved Picard's clone's ship in Star Trek: Nemesis (Was it just called 'nemesis' or something else? I can't recall)

Big, sharp, smooth, silvery, with loads of weapon-systems and 'perfect' cloaking. Functional and stylish.

Being the egotistical writer I am, I do, honestly, prefer some of my own works, but I don't have images ready for any of them, so I can't really get into that, now can I, hehehe.

what about the far star from isaac asimovs book, "foundation and earth"come on a ship that runs on nothing but gravity itself?? and the way they controlled it with the computer was simply amazing, of course I imagine not very many people here have read that book, well if not I suggest you do so, the whole series! while your at it read my book, "how I worship Isaac asimov, and wish I were he, if he were alive and young again" I know its a long title and you might not find the book at you local store but you can always order it from me at, I'm just playin with ya dot com. hehehehe

my favourite ship hands down is..
Lexx... from lexx... first off, its shaped like a bug, which i think just makes it looks so cool, and then its weapon forms the bugs eyes, and when they fire they look so cool.... not to mention it can destroy planets ^_^

Im playing homeworld 2 right now and it has some awesome ship designs

Iain M Banks Culture ships GSVs and GCUs are cool because they are just vast, and the AI minds that control them are cool too, especially the eccentric ones and their names too.

I love the bizzarre names of Iain M Bank's ships too.

Douglas Adams' Heart of Gold for me is the coolest ship in science fiction (never did like all that mucking about in hyperspace which you get with other ships).

But the funnest ship of all is the alien craft which makes a wierd and brief appearance in Monty Python's Life of Brian (where Brian falls off the tower and into the spacecraft for no adequately explained reason). Completely out of the blue, irrelevant to the story, obviously low budget, full of tubes and dials, smoke, (cool aliens!) noisy and fast and hard to control, beat up and yellow like an old taxi. Wierd but fun. Shame it crashes.

Om

I always liked Serenity from Joss Whedons tv series Firefly

Though having been watching the new Stargate Atlantis I do like the Wraith ships they have a name but I cannot remember it the only name I can remember is what Shepherd has called the Atlantis ships which is Puddlejumpers which is apt as the fly thro the stargate.

I always like the (old) Galactica too it was a bit of a mess and not space wprthy and it had its probs but hey the old ones are always the goodones. the new Cylon ships are smart,

If it's movies we are talking about, then Millenium Falcon. If it's TV, I would have to say the Liberator from Blake's 7. Liberator had a very unique look to it, and seemed like what I would think a space ship would look like. The Falcon had character to it and again broke the mold as far as space ships is concerned.

I have to go with:

Event Horizon, Lexx and for nostalgia's sake, the Milennium Falcon.
And the Necromonger's ships in the Chronicles of Riddick. They were the scariest, most imposing things I've ever seen.

I'm going with the Liberator. (but yeah, i'm biased too with it being my fave Sci-fi show!)
although i have to agree the Necromongers ship was pretty cool too.

Well i have to choose Red Dwarf (including Starbug and Blue Midget) being as though i live there ;) and it has the best computer of them all.

Close behind it are:
A-Wing (a nippy little buggah)
Death Star (or is it a moon?)
and Lexx (because like me-always hungry)

Though i think tie fighters SOUND the best.

I know I'm pulling this thread back from the depths of time, but does anybody remember the ship from DS9 that Sisko and Jake "sailed"? That was just too cool. It used huge reflective sails to capture solar "wind" (actually subatomic particles thrown off during fusion). Sailing through space ... how can you beat that? Granted, would only be good for voyages within the solar system, but talk about STYLE points.

That would indeed be pretty damn cool.

You gotta love The Sleeper Service and all the other GSVs etc in Iain M. Banks' books:D

I thought the sunfish ship form Larry Nivens Ringworld Throne was a cool idea - even though it can only be used in one solar system. A ship that uses magnetics not just to move but to turn away missles and lasers would look very cinimatic.

Oh

and the SDF 1

Leto said:
The Porter ? Not sure it's a real ship, more of a space station able to stand around different versions of Earth.
To stay in comics world, I'll vote for Lina Cheney as best space transporter. Who need a space ship when this girl can take you to the next galaxy in the blink of an eye ?
And for a ship to cruise around, the Heart of Gold - but with a classic kettle and a good supply of Darjeeling, as it's seems nearly impossible to have tea on his deck.

Finally found the name. It's known simply as "the carrier". 50 miles diameter in size, so big enough for parties.

It can go to any alternate Earth, but nowhere else. The fact that it is sentient.....wonder how to persuade it to go on voyages of exploration..lol.

The Puddlejumpers would be great replacements for the shuttles from Star Trek and certainly more formidable than the Wraith Darts.