Best spaceship?

the OP's request asked for tv and film ships, though.

There are tons of others in print. Some of my favorites are the shell-ships of Anne McCaffrey and the sentient ships of Janet Morris's Cruiser series.

Oh well, let's try something different then...
I'll have to go underdog on this one: Once Upon a Time Was the Space
Old French animated show. There were three of them: History, Human Body (most famous) and Space. I thought Space was amazing, and I'm eagerly awaiting any news of an English/Scandinavian DVD.

There's a picture I found... does this show up?
1189.jpg

Aww.... I wanna render something... a biiiig spaceship... :eek:

Now imagine being 8-9 years old, having barely heard of Star Wars, and then having that show sweep across the TV screen saturday mornings.

I can't recall any particular ships, but they looked all great. I'd nominate the whole bunch :D

So many to choose from... but I'd say:

Film: 'Millenium Falcon'

TV: 'Thunderbird 2' (not sure if it's technically a "space"ship but I seem to remember an episode when it did go into space to rescue Thunderbird 3?!.)
and 'X-Bomber' from 'Star Fleet'! (anyone remember that series?) ;)

Oh wow... I remember Star Fleet! I used to watch that show when I was young. Terrahawks, too! I even remember (although just barely) watching Once upon a time: Space! Ah, memories!

Still, I'd have to vote for Red Dwarf as best spaceship. Any ship that has a nearly senile computer steering it has to be good. Either that or Starbug.

All of the below are great. I've always had a softspot for the Millenium Falcon. And I love the Wombles. I wish they ruled the world.
That makes me wierd, doesn't it?
And I LOVE Serenity. The B5 shadowcraft is pretty awesome in terms of originality but you have to give props to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's Heart of Gold- :
Heartofgold.jpg

You have to admit you've never seen anything like it in space have you? Maybe in your bowling bag, but not in space!
Red Dwarf's Starbug is pretty cute. It really looks like a bug!
starbug.gif

Last edited:
A better picture of the Omega Confederation's ship:

6.jpg

Freakin' irresistible! This series introduced Science Fiction to me as more than just cartoonish rockets with fins and round portholes. This is what spaceships should really look like: Huge metal bulks, with rows of tiny windows (illustrating the massive size of the thing), with... numbers and letters and stuff printed in large on their sides; casual, functional, believeable.

Well, since this thread has appeared (you know this thread is 3 years old!) I think it would be rude if it I didn't make a post :)

Best spaceship eh? Well, there are a few....in no particular order....

Liberator
Whitestar
Excalibur
The M' Falcon
Shadow Ships
The Defiant
The big Klingon BOPSs
Vorlon Heavy Cruiser
And the Starfurys are pretty neat.

All wonderful designs :)

My vote would be for the Cobra from Elite.

Not only could you upgrade the weapons but it could ignore the laws of physics when turning. Also the hyperdrive even if the range was limited you could refuel by flying into a star!

Next it would have to be Voyager (a manageable size) or any federation vessel with a holodeck.....

Thought of a couple more -

Skylark of Valeron

Dauntless from the Lensman series

Last edited:
Hehe! Elite

<reminiscing>
Ay, that was a game - the number of hours I played that game at School on the BBC B, and then at home on the Sepctrum, The Amstrad CPC464 and the the Amiga 500 and 1200. - you wouldn't believe :)
</reminiscing>

In that case I'd have to add the Fer De Lance as the coolest ship in Elite.

how about the one i saw last week or the one from button moon, but failing that the shadow ships.
across between and spider and your worst nightmare