Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics

Asimov himself came up with several ways to subvert these 3 laws.
He later included another revised set of laws.
I'll have to see if I can dig them out...

That would be interesting. Apart from the Zeroth Law I can't remember ever seeing these other 'revised set of laws', so would like to see these for real.

I feel strongly that a robot should be able to challenge an order to destroy itself. After all, what use would it be to have a robot that'd be so easily destroyed and thus rendered completely useless - it is, after all, supposed to be protecting the human.

I have enjoyed the robot series at least as much as the Foundation series. I don't think the robotic "laws" are flawed at all - its us who are flawed for not living up to such an ideal standard. If people (not just robots) lived by the 3 Laws, our world would be much closer to a true utopia. Wars would cease.

Asimov goes into detail expounding on the 3 Laws in his many robot stories. Obviously there are ways around the Laws and differences in their interpretation. It makes for creative storytelling and fun reading. But there are also some very good philosophical ideas presented through this concept.

An appropriate comic from xkcd:

xkcd: The Three Laws of Robotics

the_three_laws_of_robotics.png

The Alt Text on XKCD in case you can't mouse hover
XKCD said:
In ordering #5, self-driving cars will happily drive you around, but if you tell them to drive to a car dealership, they just lock the doors and politely ask how long humans take to starve to death. ="The Three Laws of Robotics"

He later did include a 4th law. Off the top of my head it was something like 'don't by action or inaction allow any harm to come to humanity.'

I will take your word for it. I haven't read that story in a very long time. I was more of a fan of his short stories and the 'Robot' collections especially.