July, you said you read that already!

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Yes, a bit late. But June sort of ran over into July and I never truely realized it was a new month! Here's our latest thread of what books we are currently enjoying (or not).

I'm reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe for the Book Club. Can't say that it is something I'd normally enjoy but it is engaging if not terribly entertaining.

Right now, I'm reading To Sail Beyond The Sunset, another of Heinlein's later works. There's an interesting plot about a woman who finds herself imprisoned in an alternative timeline, but Heinlein keeps concentrating on the heroine's flashbacks to he past life instead, which mainly seems to involve matters of household economy and the endless quest to bed everyone she met. I consider myself a liberal sort of person, but the incest, hinted at and actually depicted, in the book has me rather sickened. I suppose it's a vestige of the whole taboo against in-breeding, but the whole notion still seems wrong. So I still do have a few prejudices left. I think I'll keep them!

Also reading Weaveworld by Clive Barker, which is an engaging mix of modern-day horror and fantasy. Enjoying it pretty well, so far.

Oh, I finally went and bought that paving-slab of a book. Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell as it was on sale at about a third of the listed price. Nearly dislocated a wrist lugging it home though.

I am reading The Fifth head of Cerberus (entertaining as far as I have reached), The History of the Caliph Vathek, by William Beckford (a highly-engaging bit of fantasy recommended me by Supernatural Horror in Literature) and I'll finish The Great God Pan when I remember to.

Finished on the last of June actually:
Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert Kickassu sequel to Dune where Herbert rectifies all the flaws of the imaginative but stilted original and comes out with a strong character-focussed drama. The people in this book are much more well-rounded and believable. Paul's dilemma at his place in the universe and the effect of his actions on the universe at large, Alia growing into uneasy adolescence - the conflict between her powers and her feelings, Hayt/Duncan the ghola who turns out to be a more faithful copy of Duncan Idaho than his makers bargained for. The pace is tighter and the dialog is MUCH better written than in the stodgy first.

Currently reading The Night Man by K W Jeter and still trying to guess where it'll lead.
Previoulsy read Roadmarks by Roger Zelazny, a strange decadent and great story which take places on a Road through Time and involve sentient poem books. (As Les Fleurs du Mal or Leaves of Grass).
And Harry Harrison Deathworld. was quite disappointed by this one as it wasn't half as fun as the Stainless Steel rat adventures.

I'm reading Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, which is very entertaining, though perhaps not quite as good I'd heard it was. A good sci-fi/thriller novel with some original, interesting concepts, and I think he portrays the main character very well. A good first-person novel, which is rare.

Just started Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. Sounds like it's going to be complicated :confused:

I'm taking a break from reading Carol Berg's "Revelation" (which is good but kind of depressing at the point I've gotten to) to read "The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. One of the blurbs describes it as "A 'DaVinci Code' for people with brains", so I couldn't pass it up when I found it standing in line at the grocery store. Almost two-thirds of the way through, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's not profound or anything, but fun.

Started Neil Gaiman's short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors (100 word long story? Its possible with this guy;))

Also bought The Fifth Head of Cerberus when I went up to London earlier today, so gonna read that at some point. Looks nice and short, which is something of a relief;)

Just finished a very interesting, very little known YA fantasy by Beth Hilgartner called A Necklace of Fallen Stars. The plot is pretty unimpressive (teenage princess runs away when tyrannical father threatens to marry her off to someone odious), but the princess is also a storyteller, and the stories she tells to various people along the way are really fascinating, both as great stories and as refractions of her own situation and thoughts. The stories are marvelously varied; some of them reminded me very much of Lloyd Alexander's writing.

Anyway, well worth reading if you can find it-- it's a bit obscure these days.

Still plugging through my classic of the week (Ferrier's Marriage). I have Rachel Caine's Ill Wind to read next, or whenever I need a break from the occasionally sententious prose of the Ferrier.

I just finished Dan SImmon's Olympos, I'm not quite sure what some of the negative critique is about.

Finished The Fifth Head of Cerberus (thank goodness) and Kathy Reich's latest forensic anthropology mystery, Cross Bones and am on to Glen Cook's The Black Company.

I also glanced at the first chapter of Bored of the Rings as I felt it might be enjoyable. Unfortunately I found it to be too silly and overthought to be funny. So that one goes back to the library unread. I then picked up the first in Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series and remembered that I had attempted to read it a while back and couldn't get through. Despite an attempt, no luck this time either. I don't think the writing was bad, I just think the storyline isn't something I'm interested in. Not sure why since it does have similar elements to other stories I've enjoyed. It isn't going back to the library just yet though, I'm going to give it another go in a week or so since so many people recommend it - maybe I just haven't gotten far enough in yet. We'll see.

Leto: I've only read Deathworld 2, but recently picked up the whole trilogy in an omnibus edition. Certainly not as much fun as the Stainless Stell Rat tales, but the 2nd book at least is great fun, and Jason DinAlt is a rogue as canny and selfish as you'd find anywhere in sf, even if the stories are a bit lightweight at times.

I finished Heinlein's 'To Sail Beyond the Sunset'. It was surprisingly painless, even fun at times. Even though RAH spends far too much time describing his heroine's bed-hopping activities, he also manages to play out an intriguing parallel history of the 20th century in the process, hint at some thrilling space-andtime-travel adventures (these are described in a rather curtailed manner, as the bulk of the book is given over to Maureen Smith's reminiscences of her past life). I didn't find the way he tried to tie in every story he'd ever written, all the way from his first oublsihed sf tale, Lifeline, as annoying as some have claimed - actually, it was so clear that he was doing this simply out of joy in story-weaving and a great love for all his fictional worlds, and this feeling is actually quite contagious.

A rather meandering novel, and peppered with too many genalogical minutiae, and free-sex excursions, but entertaining for all that, although you have to slog through the occasional bout of tedium.

I'm about halfway through Barker's Weaveowlrd. I'll probably pick up the Wolfe novel this weekend, and also start in on a re-read of The Etched CIty.

Well, I'll check if my favorite second hand book seller have the two others. Got a good deal with him - 15 of my used books against 6 of him, no money exchanged.

To sail beyond the sunset is the companion piece of Time enough for love (featuring proeminently Woodrow Wilson Smith) where you can find the other side of time-travelling (very interesting part where the grown-up grandson play chess with Ira).

Leto said:
Previoulsy read Roadmarks by Roger Zelazny, a strange decadent and great story which take places on a Road through Time and involve sentient poem books. (As Les Fleurs du Mal or Leaves of Grass).

Hang on, run that by me again! I've seen the book in the stores here - does it acutally feature a sentient copy of Le Fleurs Du Mal? Now that's intriguing.

Currently reading Startide Rising, the second book in David Brin's sequence of Uplift novels. This one evinces a distinct leap in ability from the previous book, Sundiver. It was a Nebula winner back in 1983, and seems pretty excellent so far. Highlights include a young human exobiologist pondering how to handle the advances of an 'amorous porpoise', and a lot of dolphin haiku.

Also still reading the Barker book.

Wondered when you see this one. Yes, and go for it. Typicaly the kind of book you'll enjoy.

Strangely, I've read Startite Rising but I always thought it was a stand-alone.

Heh, I'm a bit of a tubelight sometimes! I'll go pick it up later today then. I intend to buy myself thoughtful little birthday gifts all month long!

Startide Rising is effectively a stand-alone - Brin's Uplift Books are linked in theme and chronology, but each book is a completely independant story.

Ok, then I'll read the others. When I have time. currently reading lots of tech stuff, mostly boring.

Sounds as terrible as radio frequency attribution rules. ;)
I may indulge a tour at the bookstore after my next appointment...

Back