Book Hauls!

I took the plunge on Neal Asher's Owner Trilogy.

View attachment 81435

I adore his Polity books and thought i'd give these a go.

I also bought Artifact Space by Miles Cameron based on Vince's recent read.

View attachment 81436

It didn't hurt that it looks like a Light Hugger on the cover.
I only discovered Neal Asher's books a couple of years ago. I've read all except for Jack Four, Hilldiggers and the Owner Trilogy. First read of the Technician, loving it. I find myself wishing more and more to live in Asher's Polity (of course I'd bring my family!). Imagine living in a time with such choices...

Inhibitor Phase by Alistair Reynolds.

I bought the Kindle, but the Revelation Space series is one of my favourites, so I also bought the hardback.

1630591985669.png

My son spotted a copy of Sisman's The Friendship: Wordsworth and Coleridge that had been thrown away and rescued it for me. Who would've thought someone would toss that book? It's in new condition.

Interesting. I've wondered what those two had in common besides a love of poetry.

My son spotted a copy of Sisman's The Friendship: Wordsworth and Coleridge that had been thrown away and rescued it for me. Who would've thought someone would toss that book? It's in new condition.
I thought Wordsworth was a closer friend of Southey than Coleridge, or have I remembered that wrong?

I think STC and Southey, who married Fricker girls and planned to found a pantisocratic commune in Pennyslvania, were closer than WW was to Southey. Eventually Southey more or less took in Mrs. Coleridge and the children because STC felt that he couldn't bear to live with his wife.

I might have gone a little bit over board but to be fair these were bought in at least 3 different instances.
What can I say?! I'm such a sucker for the original WoT covers.

20210902_182201.jpg

I might have gone a little bit over board but to be fair these were bought in at least 3 different instances.
What can I say?! I'm such a sucker for the original WoT covers.

View attachment 81642
I should just like to note for the record, that WoT is short for World of Tiers ( the PJF series) and that Jordan fans can go and find another abbreviation. PJF came first by a number of decades.

@Keturah welcome to Chrons. Nothing personal. We have been having a fun discussion about Jordan for the last 15 years or so.

I should just like to note for the record, that WoT is short for World of Tiers ( the PJF series) and that Jordan fans can go and find another abbreviation. PJF came first by a number of decades.

@Keturah welcome to Chrons. Nothing personal. We have been having a fun discussion about Jordan for the last 15 years or so.
I'm so new to the Wheel of Time club that I haven't actually come across this issue before. To be fair, thinking about it for longer than a second I kind of hate abbreviations too. Especially with the amount of content being produced lately.
People presume you know what the hell they're talking about when they drop random acronyms and I'm constantly confused.

No offence taken! Apologies I jumped in using it right off the bat, haha. My bad.
Thank you for the welcome!

I'm so new to the Wheel of Time club that I haven't actually come across this issue before. To be fair, thinking about it for longer than a second I kind of hate abbreviations too. Especially with the amount of content being produced lately.
People presume you know what the hell they're talking about when they drop random acronyms and I'm constantly confused.

No offence taken! Apologies I jumped in using it right off the bat, haha. My bad.
Thank you for the welcome!
Hey, those Anne Leckie novels demonstrate good taste.

Hey, those Anne Leckie novels demonstrate good taste.
I'm guessing you're not a fan of Wheel of Time then?

I hope I enjoy the Ancillary Trilogy! I've heard great things about them and was lucky to find the whole trilogy in a charity shop. The first isn't in the picture as I bought it a week or so earlier.

Not books but I just bought myself a pile of (20) Pilote Mensuel on eBay with some birthday money from my mum. I'm sixty-two and my mum still gives me money to buy comics! I hope I'm able to do the same for my son - if only because he's only 12 and that means I'll be 113!

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    411 KB · Views: 73
I have a thing for grown-up French comics. I nearly managed to fool my family into a Summer holiday in Angouleme one year.

Grown up Franco/Belgian comics are the best. Franco/Belgian comics for kids are pretty good too - my subscription copy of Spirou is a highlight of the week. Angouleme is on the bucket list. (I think my spoken French and my hopeless inability to deal with crowds would have to both be vastly improved before I considered it as an actual feasible project.)

Would love to have the complete set of "Valerian and Laureline" comics in English.
Plus complete sets of 2000AD and the English version of Heavy Metal!

Grown up Franco/Belgian comics are the best. Franco/Belgian comics for kids are pretty good too - my subscription copy of Spirou is a highlight of the week. Angouleme is on the bucket list. (I think my spoken French and my hopeless inability to deal with crowds would have to both be vastly improved before I considered it as an actual feasible project.)
Yeah the Belgian thing. Brussels has a number of good comic shops plus a decent museum. Plus Tintin of course.

Not me, but a mate of a mate managed to bag these today! Much Jealousy.

"Went for a beer at the village fete, saw a box of Conan's. I asked the guy how much for them, he said, well, what do I reckon? I told him I'm happy to pay a quid or so for the Sphere's, but half of them are 60's Lancers/Aces, 1st Prints with Frazetta and Krenkel covers, so they could be a fair bit more. As God is my witness I told him that. "£20 then?" "For all 30?, Oh SURE!" I only went for a beer."

241758151_10159040208246348_2151055072115926543_n.jpg