Book Hauls!

Some good ones there. I thought Wall Around the World was a rerrific story when I read it, aged 10.

Here you go, Dask:

Ace & cats.JPG

Tess and Sachiko.

I down loaded the rest of John Scalzi's Old Man's War series (The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe's Tale, the Human Division and The End of All things.)

I also downloaded F. Paul Wilson's The Haunted Air, Conspiracies and All the Rage. (All Repairman Jack novels.)

A couple pf Terry Pratchett books are going for £1.99 on Amazon Kindle.

I downloaded Thud!, Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown.

Aubrey was a seventeenth-century antiquarian. (If I'm not mistaken, he should get credit for Stonehenge not being more damaged than it was by people "quarrying" it.) Among his other projects was a kind of biographical-oral historical one, of accumulating information about his contemporaries and people who had died but whose lives were the subjects of living memory. He can be considered a/the father of English biography. I'm approaching the end of the Penguin English Library selection of the Lives, and enjoyed Aubrey's writing so much that I decided I wanted the recent, and praised, complete edition that you see in the photo. (The Penguin edition I refer to is from the 1970s or so. I'm not sure about whatever Penguin offers now, but it's probably basically the same edition, a selection by Oliver Lawson Dick. The OLD edition intrudes the editor's wiseguy opinions a little.)

Aubrey's been a "discovery" for me as I've undertaken, since early last year, a grand 17th-century reading project that I'm really enjoying.

----John Aubrey maintains an extraordinary position among English writers of the seventeenth century: the interest which he holds for the academy is proverbially matched by the affection in which he is held by the general reader. His range and his immediacy give him a particular claim on the attention of an unusually wide community of topographers, historians and (in the best sense) amateurs. There is a haunting quality to this immediacy, the seductive illusion of almost hearing the voice of a person long dead, and, through him, the voices of a circle of mid-seventeenth-century clerics, virtuosi, artisans and scholars. His range, his friendships, his improvisations, and his attachments to particular English places give him a complex status as forerunner of many kinds of writing which are now practised and admired.---- English Historical Review

On the Coop's secondhand bookshelf today, I was the lucky snapper-upper of these fine twenty-eight greats, including some absolute classics. I put £4 in the charity bucket, as it was all the cash I had.
Terrific haul Harpo, including all 6 of Stableford's Hooded Swan novels in what look like good condition. I have 17 of those books on my shelf, and given I occasionally clear out less good stuff I'll never re-read, that's makes it a good haul to my way of thinking.

To keep me occupied whilst recuperating I've purchased
Clifford Beal: The Guns of Ivrea,
Mark Lawerence: Holy Sister,
Marlon James: Black Leopard Red Wolf
Been given
Michael J Sullivan: Heir of Novron,
Wilbur Smith: Warlock and The Seventh Scroll.

Today arrived Murray's Copsford, which I read in a library copy a few months ago and wanted to own --

-- and a book on the "earthy spirituality" of C. S. Lewis:

I spent some time browsing in the splendid Oxford Bookstore in Calcutta this afternoon, and picked up The Diary of a Space Traveller and other stories by Satyajit Ray, and The Mammaries of the Welfare State by Upamanyu Chatterjee.
The first appears to be humorous light children's SF by the famed Bengali auteur. I had never heard of it before. It sounds as though these stories were popular in Bengali in the 1960s. The second book is a sequel to a very funny satire, English August, about a junior civil servant in the elite Indian Administrative Service who is posted to a rural district.

41W1YqUdJBL._SX360_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My copy of Neal Asher’s Warship arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a signed copy at Forbidden Planet.

I thought that I would catch up to the events in the Polity before I read Warship, so I have downloaded the rest of the Agent Cormac series. (The Line of Polity, Brass Man, Polity Agent and Line War.)

Not really a "Book Haul" item, in the sense of a note about a recent acquisition -- but this booklet about rail travel between London and Edinburgh, 1939 (and evidently printed before war was declared) is something I stumbled across just now. How it came my way, I'm not sure. I like the design, which suggests interwar travel posters to me.
london.JPG