Book Hauls!

I have not read these, but a little research reveals that the Von Bek series has at least three novels and a collection of stories, as well as connections with Moorcock's immense "Eternal Champion" multiverse.

Gloriana would seem to be less related to the multiverse than most, and does not appear to have any direct sequels, but the character is said to be "mentioned" in some of the author's other works. I think you'd be pretty safe to consider this one a standalone novel, for all practical purposes.

I have not read these, but a little research reveals that the Von Bek series has at least three novels and a collection of stories, as well as connections with Moorcock's immense "Eternal Champion" multiverse.

Gloriana would seem to be less related to the multiverse than most, and does not appear to have any direct sequels, but the character is said to be "mentioned" in some of the author's other works. I think you'd be pretty safe to consider this one a standalone novel, for all practical purposes.

Thank you. I could’ve just researched myself, it seems obvious now. I need to remember the google is my friend thing

Will begin reading Gloriana this weekend.

Picked up a free copy of Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer. First edition paperback in good shape, but lackluster cover not worth scanning though it's a lot better than the TV tie-in of several years back.

Today I found

Gloriana
and
The Von Bek Trilogy

Both by Michael Moorcock

Can anyone tell me if these are standalone. I don’t know a lot about Moorcock except that he wrote loads of interconnected books.

Can I just start reading these two or not?
Gloriana is standalone and quite adult. Von Bek is more standard Eternal Champion Moorcock, but can be read as standalone. Both are good.

Couldn't resist it when I saw it in the library's showcase. $10 but I think it'll be worth it:
Image (178).jpg

Interesting note, when I went to crop the image the book, published in 1889, proved to be nearly perfectly square as opposed to most new books I've scanned which tend to be a little lopsided.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I'll be photocopying these interlibrary loan books -- not owning the copies themselves.

Today's interlibrary loan haul included the last Phyllis Paul novel I need, The Children Triumphant (1934), and James McBryde's Story of a Troll-Hunt, with introduction by M. R. James (1904) -- a presentation copy signed by MRJ himself.

Re: Recent Buys

I bought Martin's "Clash of Kings" and the first book in Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. The latter really just for writer research on Point of View use. Martin is good for writing research also, but not so much, and I really wanted to know what happens to the characters. :)

I just recently purchased the first book in the Wheel of Times to research as well, what are the odds?

Re: Recent Buys

I got

David Gemmell - The swords of night and day
David Gemmell - The king beyond the gate

David Gemmell is one of my all time favorites. Books aren't crazy long but they are packed with real, believable characters, a great change of pace, and fantastic, heroic scenes. Pretty much everything you could ask for in a fantasy writer.

Image (180).jpg
Image (181).jpg
Image (179).jpg
Image (182).jpg

The Galaxy and the two issues of "Madge" I found in a little bookstore in Pike Place Market (across the hall from the Three Girls Bakery) for $1 apiece. Moderate to minor water damage was the reason for the reasonable rate. The Twain I found in Value Village for $2.49. Don't think I got mauled with this book haul.

My Philadelphia book donor has sent two boxes of books for me and for the campus freebie table. The keepers included for novels in C. P. Snow's Strangers and Brothers sequence, Helen MacDonald's H Is for Hawk, a selection of Middleton's plays, James's Roderick Hudson, a biography of H. M. Thackeray, and more. The freebie-table items included a complete set of the Ballantine LotR paperbacks and a LotR one-volume edition, Austen's Sense and Sensibility, a biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine, a one-volume edition of several Rider Haggard novels, a book about papermaking, and C. S. Lewis's The Four Loves, etc. Interesting thing: the second box was delivered this morning, i.e. Sunday -- I don't remember ever having had Sunday mail delivery before.

H is for Hawk got a lot of good reviews last year. I believe that it is, in part, about TH White.

And just in time too!
Yes, tho I discovered I already have a Christmas Carol in a luxury edition (Great Writers collection in green) but this paperback includes other stories not contained within that noble tome. As for its chronological fortuitousness I must finish Dracula first.

Yes, tho I discovered I already have a Christmas Carol in a luxury edition (Great Writers collection in green) but this paperback includes other stories not contained within that noble tome. As for its chronological fortuitousness I must finish Dracula first.
Boy, you have backed yourself into a corner, but fortunately, if you can't finish one classic in time to start another, there is hope. While the book is usually always better than the movie (except for Joe Millard's horrid novelization of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly) the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol, possibly the best cast movie ever made, is so good it can be used as a viable substitute without arousing too much bad juju.

Boy, you have backed yourself into a corner, but fortunately, if you can't finish one classic in time to start another, there is hope. While the book is usually always better than the movie (except for Joe Millard's horrid novelization of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly) the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol, possibly the best cast movie ever made, is so good it can be used as a viable substitute without arousing too much bad juju.
Oh I'll get there in time

Good hunting at Goodwill today:
Image (184).jpg
Image (185).jpg

I dare anyone to do better with the $5 they should have spent on food and comfort for their spouse.