Book Hauls!

Got a nice haul today from a used bookstore. They're set to arrive next week.

John Brunner - The sheep look up
John Brunner - The stone that never came down (I assume, the title is in Romanian)
A.E. Van Vogt - Destination Universe
Isaac Asimov - Naked Sun
A.E. Van Vogt - War against the rules (?)

And a couple more in Romanian. Good sale.

Oh my God, the books arrived and they're in near mint condition. Some of these have been published in the late '70s and look to have aged gracefully. One appears to have been a birthday present for someone back in 1976. It just makes the books seem all the more alive for how imbued with personal history it seems.
Now I'm even happier with my haul :D.

One appears to have been a birthday present for someone back in 1976. It just makes the books seem all the more alive for how imbued with personal history it seems.
Now I'm even happier with my haul :D.

Once I bought Bill Bryson's Down Under and found a boarding pass stub - from Brisbane to somewhere - served as a bookmark. I bet the book ensured a pleasant flight for someone. :)

Robert E Howard month next for no reason :)

Waterfront Fists And Others: The Collected Fight Stories Of Robert E. Howard
A Gent from Bear Creek and Other Tales
Kull: Exile of Atlantis
Almuric

Picked up all three books in R Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series.
Book 9 (forget the title) in Malazan.
Feed by Mira Grant

I ran out of Vance books, cant have that!

c5005.jpg

From the freebie shelf at the library.

TheFallOfRome.jpg

Already have several books about ancient Rome but couldn't pass this by.

Which edition of Gloriana did you get? The first has a rather odd ending, one which Moorcock himself foundunsatisfactory; he later wrote a revised version, though some editions contain both versions of that part of the book....
In the introduction to my copy, there is a note by Michael Moorcock stating that the text therein is significantly revised from the original version. I would be interesting in hearing how the original ended for the purposes of comparison.

isbn912711757x_fc_1.jpg

The Illiad
(Hardcover)

I got the best Swedish translator to read finally Homer's great epic from start to finish. I have read several of the songs out of order for lit classes before.

Picked up Agent of the Terran Empire by Poul Anderson and Pool of Fire by John Christopher. Both hardcover 1st's. Pool completes my set of Tripods and Agent leaves me with one more title to complete the Flandry set.

Today I bought a copy of Sailor on the Seas of Fate by Michael Moorcock.

Last week, I bought Glorianna; or The Unfulfilled Queen.

I'm attempting to get as close to a full Moorcock collection as I can.

Today's mail brought David Masson's Life of John Milton vols. 1, 2, 4, and 7. I am looking to buy the biography piecemeal from different sets so as to get it relatively cheaply. There are seven volumes in all. I'm not buying it only for Milton but also as a way to learn about the Jacobean, Civil War, and Restoration eras, etc. As is often the case, this biography is an example of 19th-century scholarship that is more readable (admittedly with the skipping of some genealogy etc.) than the style of modern university-press stuff.
David_Masson.jpg

Portrait of Masson

Been unable to pick up any books for a very long time, and finally had a week which sort of made up for that, in a weird way...

In response to a thread on another forum, I happened to look up the old Arkham House volume Dark of the Moon: Poems of the Fantastic and Macabre, ed. by August Derleth (1946)*, and found a copy on sale for just over $16 US. From the information, I gathered it was one of the reprint copies, ex-library, and in good (though not VG or above) condition. Having wanted to get this for about a quarter-century, with no success, I went for it. Imagine my surprise when what I got was the Arkham copy, indeed in good though not VG, but signed by Derleth, no signs of it having been a library copy, and containing the errata list (which is quite rare). My, did I get lucky....

I also ordered Joshi's H. P. Lovecraft: Nightmare Countries**... and was accidentally sent a copy of the AP Stylebook.... They're sending me a copy of the book I ordered, and that should arrive in the next few days.

And... my neighbors moved out, and left behind quite a few things for anyone who wanted them... so I now have the following:

The Alexandria Quartet, by Lawrence Durrell, in a nice, slip-cased, hardbound edition
Sex Lives of the Roman Emperors, by Nigel Cawthorne (know nothing about it, but the dj blurb sounds interesting)
Latin Literature: An Anthology, chosen by Michael Grant (Penguin)
Parallel Worlds, by Michio Kaku
A History of Croatia, by Stephen Gazi
The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini (again, in a lovely edition, this time from the Heritage Press; Symonds translation)
The National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe, by Roy A. Gallant
Joseph and His Brothers, by Thomas Mann
Cultural Amnesia: Necessary Memories from History and the Arts, by Clive James
School Girls: Young Women, Self-Esteem, and the Confidence Gap, by Peggy Orenstein (in Association with the American Association of University Women)
Reasonable Creatures: Essays on Women and Feminism, by Katha Pollitt
Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer
The Tulip: The Story of a Flower That has Made Men Mad, by Anna Pavord
Diseases: Causes and Diagnosis, Current Therapy, Nursing Management, Patient Education (Nurse's Reference Library)

A rather eclectic (not to mention eccentric) bunch, all told, but also free...

EDIT: Ooops... forgot a couple of items:

The Genealogy of Greek Mythology: An Illustrated Family Tree of Greek Myth from the First Gods to the Founders of Rome, by Vanessa James
Kabbalah: Tradition of Hidden Knowledge, by Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi
The Drug and Other Stories, by Aleister Crowley

*A sizeable anthology of weird and fantasy poetry from the border ballads to the 1940s, and a very fine selection it is....

**A pictorial biography including reproductions from his manuscripts as well as documents such as his marriage and death certificates, etc.

Last edited:
I live in the south of Thailand and English language books are a rare find down here, recently back from a holiday up North and stopped in just about every book shop on the way. Picked up Tolkien's The Unfinished Tales and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro amongst a dozen others, which ended up costing me about forty quid. Doesn't sound a great deal but that's a fair chunk of my salary. I'll be eating a lot of rice for a couple of weeks.

Been unable to pick up any books for a very long time, and finally had a week which sort of made up for that, in a weird way...

In response to a thread on another forum, I happened to look up the old Arkham House volume Dark of the Moon: Poems of the Fantastic and Macabre, ed. by August Derleth (1946)*, and found a copy on sale for just over $16 US. From the information, I gathered it was one of the reprint copies, ex-library, and in good (though not VG or above) condition. Having wanted to get this for about a quarter-century, with no success, I went for it. Imagine my surprise when what I got was the Arkham copy, indeed in good though not VG, but signed by Derleth, no signs of it having been a library copy, and containing the errata list (which is quite rare). My, did I get lucky....

I also ordered Joshi's H. P. Lovecraft: Nightmare Countries**... and was accidentally sent a copy of the AP Stylebook.... They're sending me a copy of the book I ordered, and that should arrive in the next few days.

And... my neighbors moved out, and left behind quite a few things for anyone who wanted them... so I now have the following:

The Alexandria Quartet, by Lawrence Durrell, in a nice, slip-cased, hardbound edition
Sex Lives of the Roman Emperors, by Nigel Cawthorne (know nothing about it, but the dj blurb sounds interesting)
Latin Literature: An Anthology, chosen by Michael Grant (Penguin)
Parallel Worlds, by Michio Kaku
A History of Croatia, by Stephen Gazi
The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini (again, in a lovely edition, this time from the Heritage Press; Symonds translation)
The National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe, by Roy A. Gallant
Joseph and His Brothers, by Thomas Mann
Cultural Amnesia: Necessary Memories from History and the Arts, by Clive James
School Girls: Young Women, Self-Esteem, and the Confidence Gap, by Peggy Orenstein (in Association with the American Association of University Women)
Reasonable Creatures: Essays on Women and Feminism, by Katha Pollitt
Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer
The Tulip: The Story of a Flower That has Made Men Mad, by Anna Pavord
Diseases: Causes and Diagnosis, Current Therapy, Nursing Management, Patient Education (Nurse's Reference Library)

A rather eclectic (not to mention eccentric) bunch, all told, but also free...

EDIT: Ooops... forgot a couple of items:

The Genealogy of Greek Mythology: An Illustrated Family Tree of Greek Myth from the First Gods to the Founders of Rome, by Vanessa James
Kabbalah: Tradition of Hidden Knowledge, by Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi
The Drug and Other Stories, by Aleister Crowley

*A sizeable anthology of weird and fantasy poetry from the border ballads to the 1940s, and a very fine selection it is....

**A pictorial biography including reproductions from his manuscripts as well as documents such as his marriage and death certificates, etc.

Congratulations JD. I could only hope to be so lucky :rolleyes:

I took delivery of a couple of new books for my Star Wars library yesterday. Star Wars Illustrations and The Old Republic encyclopaedia.

JD, a few years ago I had the chance to teach a sophomore-level course in American lit at my college. To frame the course with something about "American possibilities," we read that Krakauer (for the lone wolf-start-your-life-over-in-the-territory side) balancing it with Eric Brende's Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology, about a year or so in a Mennonite-type community (for the living-in-community side). That was a success.

I don't think we read any Lovecraft, but we indulged fairly deeply in Poe...

That's a nifty note Dale. As I said, I know nothing about the Krakauer, but I'm growing more curious....

And I finally did receive that copy of S. T. Joshi's H. P. Lovecraft: Nightmare Countries in the mail, just as I was leaving for my evening shift. As I just got back from that, I've not had a chance to do more than just glance over it, but from what I see, it looks like it was worth the extra wait....

What a coindicence yesterday in my religion, culture course part of Arabic A I learned about Judaism and the mystical side with Kaballah, who wrote The Zohar etc

I'm trying not to buy any books but I've ended up buying "Gridlinked" by Neal Asher (for the goodreads group read) and "The Grin of the Dark" by Ramsey Campbell (which I stumbled upon in a used book store).