A fantasy book from old story compilation about happiness illusion

manul_9855

The only thing I can describe from this book is a single episode.

A man finds his girlfriend in some dirty place. She was stinky, in torn clothes, but happy. She got there because of corporation, which used to make people happy by playing around with their brains, perception whatever, i.e. embedded a happiness illusion in people's minds. The guy got his girlfriend/wife/whatever out of here, but later on she blamed him, asking to return her that wonderful life in a palace with lovely princes.

I know from my friend it was from and old fantasy story compilation. Maybe, one of those: Robert Shackley, Niven Larry, Jule Verne, James White etc.

Possibly The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem, but it's been like 35-40 years since I last read it so I might be suffering a memory failure.

Possibly The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem, but it's been like 35-40 years since I last read it so I might be suffering a memory failure.
Made a quick search by words in the book -- didn't find any clue. However, it's a good reminder for me to read Lem.

Have read this -- actually, the topic is very close to what I wanted. Still, I confirmed there is no such episode =/