House of the Dragon: 1.01 - The Heirs of the Dragon

ctg

weaver of the unseen
zJipBcx.jpg

Viserys hosts a tournament to celebrate the birth of his second child. Rhaenyra welcomes her uncle Daemon back to the Red Keep.

IMDB score 9.0/10 Runtime: ~66 minutes

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is heading. Decent first ep.

Reactions: ctg
It felt like a homecoming.
I had to keep telling myself Matt Smith is not the Doctor; he's not the Doctor; not the Doctor.
King Viserys should find a comfy seat pad for the Iron Throne. I suspect those sharp edges are coated with something toxic.
More dragon scenes, please.

Last edited:
Firstly, I still haven't read the books. I've listened to some of them via audiobooks, when Viv was still alive. So I haven't biased myself, but when the GoT was going I wondered about the past, how it was that they let the Kingdom of Dragon's to fall off the cliff that humans had room to breath. Not that GRRMs world is a nice place to live. Quite the opposite. It is a place, where we go to wonder how they've survived the ages of calamities.

The series starts from the death of the Old King, Jaehaerys, while the House of Targaryen are commanding no less than ten adult dragons. The Old King had no heirs. No living ones. So Prince Viserys were given the throne, while his cousin were left standing. No wonder why the Game of Thrones were set loose, 172 years before the death of the Mad King.

1S9xSzr.jpg

Syrax is such a small dragon compared to the massive skull under the Red Keep in GoT. It's also interesting that she has a golden hue. While her rider, Princess Rhaenyra looks a bit like Dani in her latter days. It's just we saw her going above the clouds, getting no frost or even cold. In her shoes, I'd have worn a hat and a mask.

It is also intriguing that they like to live in caves. I don't know why, but it has always been in the mythology that the dragons are cave beasts. Solitary ones, but in the GoT we have seen them living as a family and being fine with lots of people around them.

SOlVZPv.jpg

It intrigued me that Lord Corlys Velarion presented a map from the Northern Parts Bravos and Westeros, with plenty of blank space, and the proceeded to talk about the Free Cities doing the same old stuff that they were doing in the future. Also it seems that the pirates in the GRRM's world has always been a menace, and there is no real end to them, unlike in our Golden Age of piratism, which was a very brief spell.

Visery's weren't really interested on either of them. I don't know why, but it is as if he's already been corrupted by the power of the only super state in their world, without ever realizing on how shaky foundation their House were laid upon. Maybe ignorance is part of their family madness. Not being wise about things.

I know that one cannot live their whole life in fear of something happening, but getting overconfident that nothing will ever happen is just pure foolishness, verging to idiocy.

4yzMhYT.jpg

Prince Daemon giving a Valeryan Steel necklace to Rhae. Is this going to be the same thing as the famous Needle? He also used words: "I bought you something..." and we know that in the future, the price of that particular mythical steel is next to the unobtanium. If it is the same thing in the past, I suspect House Targaryen is in a deep hole because of the prince's spending habits.

Maybe the thing is that the whole family got so corrupted by having the dragons and the whole Westeros under their rule. So much power under a family with a known history for the mental illnesses. I have never proven tyrants, and when Prince Daemon showed that they are bathing in by unleashing the Golden Cloaks, under a guise of City Watch to King's Landing populace I watched it in horror.

They called it a clean-up job, while it was literally Authorities committing to pure terrorism. Even in the Small Council, when they talked about it, Lord Corlys went to utter: "The criminal element should fear the City Watch," without ever voicing or even thinking are they going to raise rebellious elements amongst their people.

All the old king could do was to slap naughty boy's wrist and the bicker about the state of things after the prince had left the room. Idiots.

B4o6oi1.jpg

This is the first time we see King's Landing Arene that the House of Dragons were using for their tournament. It is a very intriguing design, and it's only a wonder why it wasn't shown in the future King's Landings. Another interesting detail was Prince's "dragon" helmet, with a very open face.

In the practical sense and especially in the tournament, where they'd already shown lances splintering in massive showers of shrapnel, he went in a like a pompous idiot, while the other ones were all dressed in proper helmets. Not that he really had to worry about it, as he committed to cheating and the king said nuffing.

Chivalry, the funny old thing, who needs it?

I, for one, wished that he'd have lost an eye or got stuck in the belly with a giant wooden stick, while the King sacrificed his Queen for the heir. No such luck. At least, he lost the tournament to Dornish prince, while the King got his son ... for a few moments.

I also loved Dracarys doing some precision flaming in the funeral. In the aftermath, it was finally voiced that the Westeros would be going through a very shaky time, with Prince Daemon taking the throne. The old king had none of it. "My brother will have his time..." while the councillors almost unanimously opposed his time on the throne.

The princess was brought into the light, but denied because: "No woman has ever sat on the throne." If the prince poo-for-brains had held his tongue, he would have not lost his claim to the throne and be sent to his home at the Runestone (?).

Under the Red Keep , the old king told Rhae, "The idea that we control the dragons is an illusion. They're a power man should never have trifled with." I agree. "One brought Valyria to its doom. If we don't mind our own histories, it will do the same to us. Targeryan must understand that to be a king ... or a queen." Then apologized for wanting a son instead of cherishing what he'd been blessed with. At least he parted the rulership with the shared wisdom of, "The dragon's saddle is one thing, but the Iron Throne is the most dangerous seat in the realm."

l5leR0T.jpg

Beautiful Queen. The Winter is Coming and she should unite the realm against the White Walkers. Is she up for the job and can she control her uncle? Somehow, I feel that the prince will unite his forces with the White Walkers.

The princess was brought into the light, but denied because: "No woman has ever sat on the throne."
The princess showed wisdom beyond her years and promising rulership potential in her realization that Targaryens are not more divine than the smallfolk and that, without the dragons, they would be just like everyone else.

The opening episode of House of the Dragon (Sky Atlantic) is simply spectacular. For an hour, it rattles through everything that made its predecessor, Game of Thrones, such a titan of the small screen, especially when it was in its prime. It is a greatest hits playlist of Westeros at its meatiest. Family members make promises they cannot keep as they connive and betray each other, in secret and in plain sight. There is jousting, romping and fighting. There are dragons, of course. There is a drunken orgy, an axe to the face, a caesarean without anaesthetic, seeping wounds, severed limbs and severed organs, too. George RR Martin’s world struts its way back on to our screens with utter confidence and brio.
House of the Dragon is gorgeous, opulent television, cinematic and big, pushing at the edges of what TV can do. It is just that little bit less fun than its predecessor.

I had to keep telling myself Matt Smith is not the Doctor; he's not the Doctor; not the Doctor.
I found it surprisingly easy to transition him from Prince Philip to Prince Daemon (or however it's spelt). Must be something of the throne about him. Yeah ... that's it.

While Matt Smith says he was on set for much of the jousting shoot, he wasn’t actually taking his own falls. Instead, it was his stunt double, Eduardo Gago Muñoz. “It’s not my natural habitat to be on a horse,” Smith says, adding that he and Frankel would pop into the scenes after the doubles took their falls.

That doesn’t mean the duo didn’t learn to ride, though: Frankel says the Dragon gang took lessons at The Devil’s Horsemen, “a really old British institution that’s been teaching actors to ride for years.” Since Frankel had never ridden before, he started slow, on a very basic horse, and worked his way up the proverbial ranks. By the end, he says, “you’re hopefully able to canter and hold some kind of sword in your hand.”
While most of the joust competitors have fairly basic or traditional armor, Daemon enters the competition wearing a helmet covered with ornate designs and protruding dragon wings. Smith says the piece of costuming was “quite heavy,” weighing an estimated 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds). “All of the armor is quite heavy,” he says, “but it looks fabulous.” He credits HOTD costume designer Jany Temime with making the helmet “feel sort of dragon-like, but also elegant and stylish at the same time.”
That helmet...
TDVKrVH.jpg

You can see a traditional versus Daemon's helmet backside in this shot
Irp5RQv.jpg

I'd accept this as a dragonrider helmet rather than one that was made for the jousting matches. It is just so ridiculous. What are you actually protecting with it? They could have added more details to cover the face, and the audience would have bought it instead of it being so freaking open.

Went into it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. As first episodes go it was pretty decent.

Ok so I didn't enjoy the exposition dump monologue right at the start, it just didn't feel well done - not like for example the monologue at the start of LOTR (Fellowship).

A few of the characters just seemed to jar with me, they didnt feel right for the setting - the King in particular. However once he allowed some emotion into his performance he was a lot better.

Matt Smith was (as I expected) one of the standouts.

The Dragons felt like a step backwards on the CGI of the previous dragons, they just seem too clean, too bright. I find it hard to articulate what seems wrong with them but its the same feeling I get looking at the Dinos in the new Jurassic park films - they just don't seem as realistic as what came before (I think this is a wider issue with CGI and visual reference frames though).

But overall, I thought it was a good opening episodes. I feel like this series will always have an uphill struggle because it will always draw comparisons with GoT which is arguably one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

Solid 7.5/10 from me.

The Dragons felt like a step backwards on the CGI of the previous dragons, they just seem too clean, too bright.
They are living beings, and they mostly do their movement by flying, so having them muddy wouldn't fit the picture. To me, having a smaller, golden one was just perfect. But still they are not tiny by any standards.

They are living beings, and they mostly do their movement by flying, so having them muddy wouldn't fit the picture. To me, having a smaller, golden one was just perfect. But still they are not tiny by any standards.

I don't necessarily mean clean wholly in the sense of mud/dirt. I mean the CGI shots are too clean, the scales too perfect, little variation. If for example I look at a large lizard or other scaled creatures, they have imperfections, they have marks, they are not perfectly symmetrical.

The CGI wasn't bad, I just don't think it held up to the CGI we saw in GoT. Another criticism of the CGI was the uplift on the wing flaps, when the dragons flapped to produce upward thrust, the center section of their body (the abdomen) should be pushed upwards disproportionately to the wings.

However I really liked that the Dragons look thematically different and see to have characteristics reflective of their riders.

I really liked that the Dragons look thematically different and see to have characteristics reflective of their riders.
Like in the DragonLance or Avatar - reflective of their riders, meaning one choosing another. I'm not sure if that is general fantasy lore, or more of conclusions of several writers coming up to the same idea.

I'd like to have seen their seats, because in GoT they didn't have them.

Like in the DragonLance or Avatar - reflective of their riders, meaning one choosing another. I'm not sure if that is general fantasy lore, or more of conclusions of several writers coming up to the same idea.

I'd like to have seen their seats, because in GoT they didn't have them.

We did see the seats in one of the shots. It looked pretty cool to be honest. Although we haven't seen the seats in great detail and I don't recall seeing anyone in the seat (the shot I am referring to was just of a dragon without a rider).

Episode 1 did not entice me. Yes, it was all well done, looking great with fine acting. But none of the characters managed to made me root for them. I don't really care much for the family Targaryen or who of them will sit on the Iron Throne. We have had enough of that kind of infighting in GoT. The plot is missing something meaningful, an extra dimension.
At least GoT had more that just that. It had the Fire and Ice clash, the Good vs Evil, the struggle to get all noses in the right direction, which was not the hopeless fight for the right to sit on an thrones with cutting edges but to confront the Night King.
The producers never understood that and have now returned with a another medieval version the Crown.
Hopefully it will have more to offer in the next episode.

About flying dragons. The way they fly with using their entire body while they climb and gather speed must make it really uncomfortable, if not outright dangerous (read impossible) for the rider. Fasten seat-belts, please.

1. Haven't read the books.
2. Never intend to.
3. Wasn't a big follower of the GOT series.

I'm sorry but whoever (oops) cast Matt Smith as Prince nare-do-well has IMHO made a massive mistake.

Every time I saw him (including the orgy scene) I was waiting for him to whip out his massive sonic Screwdriver: oh... (oops again).

Plus old King "soon to be dead" had me thinking on Mr Witcher and added further crossover to The Witcher series. No doubt these two characters will be bumped of soon - In much the same way "Sharpy" was taken out of GOT early on.

Now... and this might be a critique of the books but.

You have a powerful weapon come creature in the form of a Dragon. Would you really keep it miles from your base of operation - namely the K Landing place.

"Hey! look at that massive army coming to do us no good!"

"Oh yes they look nasty and they look like they mean to do us harm. Better mount up quick and go and get the Dragons from that easily blocked off cave a few miles away. Hopefully those invaders haven't put up a sizable road block to stop us getting to our only hope of stopping them."

I'm hoping it gets better.

Last edited:
none of the characters managed to made me root for them.
I expect that this was probably the actual point, but I really couldn't find any of the characters very likeable; obviously not the Prince, but not the King either, nor any of his Council, not even the Princess or her Lady in Waiting. I do need to care about what is going to happen to these characters if I am going to want to follow what happens to them. Or, maybe they all die... horribly? And altogether? (I've also not read the books.)

More dragon scenes, please.

One of the first computer games that I ever purchased, way back in the 1980's, was one on which you could fly on the backs of Dragons. When you've done that a few times, it doesn't ever get any more interesting than it was the first time that you played it.

I got through it. Its scope is impressive, but I was just wondering 'why?' (as in why make this -- apart from the cheese, I mean). Just a bit ... redundant, perhaps? Acting was superb, the MC seemed much more likeable than Daenerys.

<50 mins: "no, you're a girl-no, you're a girl-no, you're a girl-no, you're a girl-no, you're a girl-no, you're a girl-you can't be heir"
>10 mins: "okay, I heir you."

Talk about changing like the weather... misogyny and chauvinism don't suddenly soften overnight.

Episode 2 hasn't changed my opinion much. It's like... like... like dragons! Impressive, but highly unlovable creatures, best kept at a distance.
And speaking of dragons. Are they just a prop or the 'attraction' of the show? If the latter, then will they at some point surpass their role of fire-spitting steeds? At the moment they do not add much to a not very consequential fight over a throne. I mean, what is at stake here that I should care about?

In a like spirit to many of the above comments, I've been referring to this as "Doctor Who on a dragon."
My history gene kicked in first of all with the tournament and then the death of the queen.
Obviously one is supposed to get a sense of barbarian adventure. But some aspects here made my history gene kick in.
Although there were melees, tournaments in our Middle Ages did actually exercise some caution for participants. Particularly after, I remembered, a king of France died in one (Henry II of France, I looked it up.) Here the purpose seemed to be to thin out the aristocracy.
2. Caesarians existed way back in our history. Julius was actually born in one, hence the name. They were known in our Middle Ages. Here the supposedly knowledgeable Maester just sliced the queen open to die.
Hence the picture drawn here, even beyond the obvious lack of concern for death and depravity except to a small level by the king, goes beyond even our own history. Of course everyone from William the ******* (Conqueror) ordered massacres, but here nobody seems to care.
Martin et al seem to revel in blood more than pageantry or even conflict. A choice. But enjoy or or let it wash by. it's what the authors are about.
The original was to a great extent about character. Here, even the animated intro makes it clear that it's about gore.