DISCUSSION THREAD -- January 2022 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #44

Both tie-breaker stories are very good, but I'll now follow my earlier results: a shortlisting (of one) for Astro Pen, and a vote for Phyrebrat. Still plenty of time to vote, good luck both!

You're welcome, @farntfar! I liked your story a lot.
And thanks so much, @The Judge, for the shortlisting, and the kind words on my entry. :)

Looking forward to April's 300 worder, so I can try to write something more successful (although I did like my story:)), CC

The poll has now closed and we have a winner:

Congratulations, Phyrebrat!

For me, it depends on how I'm feeling at the time. Something that makes me smile often gets on my shortlist, angst less so, same with strict sci-fi - I don't understand the big words.

I often put in bad puns, that's my sense of humour. They don't garner votes but I write them to make me smile first. If it makes at least one other grin... or groan, then that's a win for me.

I don't think any of my wins were for humour, just checking, first 75 a modern take The Devil Went Down to Georgia, second one about a writer's relationship with his characters, 300 win about someone going mad from a damp patch on the wall or maybe not and a 100 win, that was humorous :)
I'll include this in my other thread analysis. Emotional Tone /Impact
The poll has now closed and we have a winner:

Congratulations, Phyrebrat!
Fix!
Fab!

:D
o_O:love:

Last edited:
Congratulations Phyrebat, and a well done to Astro Pen for making it a close run thing.

Warm thanks again to those who voted, shortlisted and left supportive comments about my entry.

Congratulations, Phyrebrat! Commiserations, Astro Pen -- but you will look lovely in the bridesmaid's dress -- currently a confection of primrose yellow taffeta!

I've remarked before how I usually drop clues and hints into my writing, and I always wonder if anyone gets them. This time there was only the one -- the protagonist's name, Merle, was meant to foretell her true nature since it's an old name (from the C15th, from Latin via old French) for the blackbird. As a matter of interest, did anyone pick that up?

As a matter of interest, did anyone pick that up?

I confess, I did not. I did think perhaps some feminine allusion to Merlin and such transmogrifications, but alas! I did not remember my Poe, and forgot to suspect the raven.

Did anyone get that mine was about a South African fisherman who wanted to fish some delicious hot nudibranchs for his nasty new chip shop?

I've remarked before how I usually drop clues and hints into my writing, and I always wonder if anyone gets them. This time there was only the one -- the protagonist's name, Merle, was meant to foretell her true nature since it's an old name (from the C15th, from Latin via old French) for the blackbird. As a matter of interest, did anyone pick that up?
Puts hands up, I did.

Well done @Phyrebrat -proud to have spotted the winner this time out, great story, also well done @Astro Pen ...ya didn't make it easy for the winner;)
did anyone pick that up?
No, went right over my head;)
Did anyone get that mine was about a South African fisherman who wanted to fish some delicious hot nudibranchs for his nasty new chip shop?
Dammit, missed that.

Congratulations @Phyrebrat well done. (y) It was a great story to lose to in a tight race.
and I was delighted to get a podium place.
(The upside is that I don't have to practice putting on a female voice for the chroncast recording :p )

Thanks to all those who voted for my story in the main thread and the tie breaker. :cool: much appreciated.
And special thanks to @Victoria Silverwolf for her kind and supportive post above.

Congratulations Phyrebrat, for winning the tie-breaker, and congrats to Phyrebrat and Astro Pen for reaching the tie-breaker! Well done, both of you, and well done all - a fun Challenge, CC

@Phyrebrat congratulations!

Sorry for missing the tie-break vote, the days got away from me.

Congratulations Phyrebrat
@Phyrebrat

And a gargantuan WELL DONE to @Astro Pen

My Story: I stared at Mouse's wonderful photo and thought, "Princess and Beast". Nah, most may think that. "Dark Lord?" Vader?. Another Star Wars parody? Why not? I wanted drama in it as well. However, I had trouble thinking of how to write it, end it and think of the hero's name that would save the Princess. With two days to spare, I reluctantly used my avatar name.

Last edited:

Back