Who is Greater, Arthur C. Clarke or Jack Williamson ?

Of the two , Clark is the one most remembered by readers.

Darker Than You Think was great.

He wrote one of my favorite end of the world science fiction short stories Born of the Sun. It was adapted for comic book in 1976 , it would make a great feature film .:cool:

If you find it m There anthology The Williamson Effect edited by Roger Zelazny the are Storie set in the universe Jack Willians crated . Amon the stories is Bad Machines by Fred Saberhagen In this story The Humanoids meet the Berserkers . :cool:

I'm sure I've probably heard of Williamson, but I can't recall that. He sure doesn't seem to come up that much.

I'm sure I've probably heard of Williamson, but I can't recall that. He sure doesn't seem to come up that much.

A Very prolific write and his career spanned 78 years from 1928 to 2006.

Do writers pay more attention to "the writing" than most readers do? Is Arthur C Clarke's writing unimpressive from a literary stand point such that Williamson could have more influence on other writers?

AS far as I know, no one has adapted anything Willson has ever written to the bit or small screen.

Id love to see a his legion of Space get an adaptation to either the big or small screen.

Giants, both men, their lives and careers spanned the Golden Age and much of the modern era of science fiction as well.

Read everything that I could find by each author. Mostly in my youth. I had the advantage 50+ years ago of having an older brother who compulsively collected everything then (or earlier) that was published.
I greatly respect Baylor, however choosing "The Greater" between two authors in the same field, even with quite different styles, seems beside the point. Of course both were skilled at the level of writing in different styles. And much of the best remembered Williamson dates back to the pulps -which shows. But neither can be easily pigeonholed. Clarke wrote for something like 60 years. Williamson 75.
Anything that brings them up, with the detail about their work expressed above, does serve the purpose of reminding (or introducing) them to people here.

Read everything that I could find by each author. Mostly in my youth. I had the advantage 50+ years ago of having an older brother who compulsively collected everything then (or earlier) that was published.
I greatly respect Baylor, however choosing "The Greater" between two authors in the same field, even with quite different styles, seems beside the point. Of course both were skilled at the level of writing in different styles. And much of the best remembered Williamson dates back to the pulps -which shows. But neither can be easily pigeonholed. Clarke wrote for something like 60 years. Williamson 75.
Anything that brings them up, with the detail about their work expressed above, does serve the purpose of reminding (or introducing) them to people here.

I recently read Williamson novel Darker then You Think This book belong in the horror and Dark fantasy genre and it's a great book ! The center idea here Lycanthrope and Williams soon on this is quite faascating and well done ! :cool: