Box Office Blockbuster Films You've Grown to Dislike and Despise

Life is Beautiful [1997]
People tell me that it a beautifully touching tale of how far a father will go to shelter his child from the horrors of their reality.
I saw it as trite, unbelievable [and not in a fantasy way] and funny [but not deliberately].
I felt it treated the whole situation as something light, and utterly unimportant.
At points, I was wishing the Bad Guys would kill the lead... I think it's the only film where I'm rooting for the Nazis some of the time.
It was like watching a long-running show where the lead is put in danger every week but you know there is no chance of anything bad happening [unless there is a redshirt involved].
It is right up there with Terrence Mallick's The Thin Red Line [1998].

I still haven't seen Life is Beautiful, but i really want to. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is on my list, too.

Life is Beautiful [1997]
People tell me that it a beautifully touching tale of how far a father will go to shelter his child from the horrors of their reality.
I saw it as trite, unbelievable [and not in a fantasy way] and funny [but not deliberately].
I felt it treated the whole situation as something light, and utterly unimportant.
At points, I was wishing the Bad Guys would kill the lead... I think it's the only film where I'm rooting for the Nazis some of the time.
It was like watching a long-running show where the lead is put in danger every week but you know there is no chance of anything bad happening [unless there is a redshirt involved].
It is right up there with Terrence Mallick's The Thin Red Line [1998].

I went to see LIB not knowing anything about it. The beginning was charming comedy which then became absolutely heartbreaking. Pretty effective, I thought, but not the sort of film I want to see for a second time.

I've never been able to get through Avatar without falling asleep. How can a movie that looks like a Roger Dean painting be so boring?

Armageddon is a movie I remember enjoying at the time, but on re-watches is just awful.

It think that if J J Abrams had Directed Armageddon Instead of Michal Bay, it would been a better movie than it was.

I wasn't a fan of Abrams trek either, tbh.

I can't bear watch any of the Marvel films any more.

I'm not a superhero guy, generally, but I enjoyed the last Spiderman film. I couldn't watch it more than once though, and all the canon movies where you need to have watched all the other movies to understand what's going on really don't interest me. I prefer the Richard Donner era Superman movie or Burton's Batman. Dark Knight was ok, but overhyped.

I don't understand the appeal of Snyder DC movies, though, but I enjoyed Shazam.

I'm not a superhero guy, generally, but I enjoyed the last Spiderman film. I couldn't watch it more than once though, and all the canon movies where you need to have watched all the other movies to understand what's going on really don't interest me. I prefer the Richard Donner era Superman movie or Burton's Batman. Dark Knight was ok, but overhyped.
I'm the same. Donner's Superman is one of my favourites. I remember complaining loudly about Michael Keaton being cast as Batman but after seeing the film I was completely won over. I still think he was the best Batman.

I'm the same. Donner's Superman is one of my favourites. I remember complaining loudly about Michael Keaton being cast as Batman but after seeing the film I was completely won over. I still think he was the best Batman.

Yes, Donner's Superman is still the best, unlike the films that followed , his film had a heart. Yes, I liked Keaton in the role of Batman . If Tim Burton had had a better script for Batman Returns, we would have likely been spared from the Joel Schumacher Batman Cinema travesties travesties that came after award and, maybe even empty Nolan Batman films that came after that.

I hated Avatar from the start.
I can't look at most superhero films any more. I'm out.

Avatar , yes, lots to hate in that film . As oive seals before I was rooting for the evil corporation.

I do look forward to the next Dr Strange film.:)

Last edited:
The Sound of Music 1965 I like it when I first saw, and now it grates on me. :eek:

The Sound of Music 1965 I like it when I first saw, and now it grates on me. :eek:
My sister never saw this for years, every time it came on everyone else said not this again and turned it off.

The first Superman's I liked, as new actors stepped in and the story lines got contorted, I lost interest. I liked some of the actors in other films they had done, so it wasn't the actor personally. The same was true for Alien, lost interest in that series. When I finally saw Prometheus, or rather started to watch it, it just got sillier and sillier.

The first Superman's I liked, as new actors stepped in and the story lines got contorted, I lost interest. I liked some of the actors in other films they had done, so it wasn't the actor personally. The same was true for Alien, lost interest in that series. When I finally saw Prometheus, or rather started to watch it, it just got sillier and sillier.

Prometheus and its sequel should not have been made at all.

I've never been able to get through Avatar without falling asleep. How can a movie that looks like a Roger Dean painting be so boring?

Armageddon is a movie I remember enjoying at the time, but on re-watches is just awful.

They haven't gotten better with age.

I still stand somewhat in defence of Braveheart. Yes, the historical accuracies are rampant throughout the movie ; but if you ignore that and treat it as an action adventure then it's really quite enjoyable. The baddies (McGoohan in particular) are delightfully villainous, and the battle sequences are bloody and brutal. The action, the drama, the love interest and the gentle humour that run through the film make it a much better watch than some films that re much more historically accurate but just plain dull to sit through.