Box Office Blockbuster Films You've Grown to Dislike and Despise

I remember when the History Channel on Sky was a really interesting and information station. In fact it was one of the major reasons for me getting satellite tv in the first place. A quick look at the lineup at the moment is Pawn Stars, Mountain Men, American Pickers, interspersed with the odd history-related programme.

How can this be allowed to happen? There must be tons of history related programmes out there that are just as cheap and easy to put on as all of these non-history related shows. Imagine if Sky Sports suddenly started having reality tv programmes or Sky Movies had quiz shows. It's really not on.

We vote with our remote. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that are watching this type of show as they remain very popular.

Bill Hicks had a skit in one of his shows on how these people ("fevered egos" he called them), were now the heroes of this generation. Where are inventors, the astronauts and musicians to inspire people?

I think it all started when the iron curtain fell. I think we made everything about money.

We vote with our remote. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that are watching this type of show as they remain very popular.

Bill Hicks had a skit in one of his shows on how these people ("fevered egos" he called them), were now the heroes of this generation. Where are inventors, the astronauts and musicians to inspire people?

I think it all started when the iron curtain fell. I think we made everything about money.

Yeah, I've no issue with people liking or watching all sorts of programmes. I've watched Pawn Stars a few times and it can be quite funny. I just think that there are more appropriate places than the History Channel.

Its fantasy without magic but re-imagined historical characters and event's .:D

Yeah, Braveheart is probably the most historically inaccurate Hollywood movie that there has ever been. It's a fantasy version of history, like Robin Hood; and as long as you don't treat it seriously then it's a fun movie to watch.

Another Scottish hero movie that was released around the same time - Rob Roy - is equally based in a fantasised, idealised version of a heroic Scotsman battling the evil English. Another tremendously villainous Englishman in Tim Roth, and a very enjoyable film to watch. Rob Roy feels far more historically authentic than Braveheart, but the central character is likely closer to the character Walter Scott created than to the real man himself.

Yeah, Braveheart is probably the most historically inaccurate Hollywood movie that there has ever been. It's a fantasy version of history, like Robin Hood; and as long as you don't treat it seriously then it's a fun movie to watch.

Another Scottish hero movie that was released around the same time - Rob Roy - is equally based in a fantasised, idealised version of a heroic Scotsman battling the evil English. Another tremendously villainous Englishman in Tim Roth, and a very enjoyable film to watch. Rob Roy feels far more historically authentic than Braveheart, but the central character is likely closer to the character Walter Scott created than to the real man himself.

And it won 10 oscars including Best Picture and Mel Gibson as Best Director .:confused:

I'd vote for Rob Roy over Braveheart any time. Apart from the fact that I don't know anyone who appeared in Rob Roy so I don't get distracted by spotting extras who live near me*. Neeson's Rob Roy character is so much more human than Wallace. His first reaction to realising he's pissed off the English is to run away and hide till it's over. Not get all misty-eyed and heroic.

*One kid in my village made so much money from his stint as one of the dead kids hanged in an early sequence he bought a motorbike and used to short cut through my garden on it because he was too young to legally drive it on the road. Rob Roy from memory - it's a long time since I saw either - had fewer shots of Forestry Commission plantations in it too. Both films have moments where I thought "If the camera was three feet further to the left you would see historically anachronistic buildings / bridges / roads / my house."

I'd vote for Rob Roy over Braveheart any time. Apart from the fact that I don't know anyone who appeared in Rob Roy so I don't get distracted by spotting extras who live near me*. Neeson's Rob Roy character is so much more human than Wallace. His first reaction to realising he's pissed off the English is to run away and hide till it's over. Not get all misty-eyed and heroic.

*One kid in my village made so much money from his stint as one of the dead kids hanged in an early sequence he bought a motorbike and used to short cut through my garden on it because he was too young to legally drive it on the road. Rob Roy from memory - it's a long time since I saw either - had fewer shots of Forestry Commission plantations in it too. Both films have moments where I thought "If the camera was three feet further to the left you would see historically anachronistic buildings / bridges / roads / my house."

The interesting thing about that film that seeing Rob Roy made me want read Sir Walter Scotts novel .

The interesting thing about that film that seeing Rob Roy made me want read Sir Walter Scotts novel .

I remember watching a very good documentary (I think it was Rise of the Clans) with Neil Oliver who (from memory) said basically that he was made into a folk hero by Walter Scot, who fictionalised adventures for him in a way that made him a kind of Scottish Robin Hood, when the reality was likely quite different. People would travel to his home to see a real life living legend.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't know how many times I watched it but it was played obsessively by me when it came to video.

I cannot watch it now without some cringing. The Ark scene still impresses me but the lack of characterization and fast pacing bothers me much more.
I was a huge fan of Indiana Jones through the 80s but I skipped the 4th movie and will do the same with the latest (unless I hear the CGI is amazing but if so, I will catch selected scenes).

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't know how many times I watched it but it was played obsessively by me when it came to video.

I cannot watch it now without some cringing. The Ark scene still impresses me but the lack of characterization and fast pacing bothers me much more.
I was a huge fan of Indiana Jones through the 80s but I skipped the 4th movie and will do the same with the latest (unless I hear the CGI is amazing but if so, I will catch selected scenes).

I can still watch and enjoy Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom , Last Crusade . I like even Kingdom of the Crystal Skull too and the character Mutt . :cool:

I do plan on seeing number 5. :cool:

And it won 10 oscars including Best Picture and Mel Gibson as Best Director .:confused:

Yes, I think that's the part that annoys me. I mean Braveheart is really just another below average historical romp. Like a middling version of Robin Hood (but without Alan Rickman to relieve the monotony). And yet the Oscars that year, inexplicably, treated it like high art. I watched The English Patient the other day and was impressed by the care that went into its making. Each scene so thoroughly thought out. Fantastic performances by so many great actors. Obviously a great (Canadian!) novel behind it all. A worthy Oscar winner that makes Braveheart look like amateur dramatics night.

How did you get on? I don't think I've ever got more than five pages into one. Not that I've tried that often I have to admit.

I thought it a very good book and, I also liked Ivanhoe. :cool:

I hated Top Gun from the start!
I saw it once on video--and thought--man this sucks.

I bet the Abbott and Costello film Buck Privates also sparked an upswing in recruitment. That was a year before WW 2--they said the recruitment was strictly for home defense (yeah I believe it)--and it presented boot camp as a great place where they have swinging parties with the Andrews sisters.

I hated Top Gun from the start!
I saw it once on video--and thought--man this sucks.

I bet the Abbott and Costello film Buck Privates also sparked an upswing in recruitment. That was a year before WW 2--they said the recruitment was strictly for home defense (yeah I believe it)--and it presented boot camp as a great place where they have swinging parties with the Andrews sisters.

The Sequel to Top gun seems to be dong big box office,