The Neil Gaiman Reader: Selected Fiction

Judderman

The Iceman cometh
The Neil Gaiman Reader was released in 2020. Anyone read it? A great tome for your shelves.
This selection of Neil's short stories and little excerpts from his novels is superb. Personally I have read his novels but not many of his short stories before. There are 52 pieces of work here. I believe most of them were voted in somehow. There is also some similarity of themes in some of the adjacent stories. A lot of the stories in the first half are really fun or odd, but I feel he was reaching a more consistent high level in the stories after 2000. Putting in a bit more complexity to the tales. What a storyteller.
A lot of the stories leave an open end, but I like how they keep you thinking.

My favourites included Troll Bridge, The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains and The Case of Death & Honey. There are many other great ones like The Return of The Thin, White Duke & How to Talk to Girls at Parties. I enjoyed the novel excerpts despite having read the novels. These are a small part of the whole book. There are a couple of other stories featuring his character Shadow too.

If you have read his three short story collections you will have read most of this before, but it may still be of interest as a tribute to his career so far. If not it is a superb read for any Gaiman fan! In fact any fan of fiction about demons, gods, and all sorts of bizarre happenings.

Last edited:
I've not read it, but if it's kind of a "best of" collection, I hope "The Thing About Cassandra" is in there. It's my personal favorite.

Yes, that one takes it place. A sort of twilight zone type story.