Poppy war Trilogy

Koopa

Old KiwiBird
Just curious what you all think about the books. I honestly really dislike the main character. To me, she is as evil as her enemies. But i am curious how the tale ends. As the tale is a somewhat interesting perspective on western invasion of asia, and japan versus rest of asia. as well as certain ideologies that prosper in regions farther away from my own. Read the first 2 books so far. 1 more to go. It's a bit grim and dark. But i guess no grimmer than real life can be in times of war. It is also full of angst, hartred, desire for power and vengeance.

I'm guessing no replies koopa, as perhaps no one has read it.
I had to look it up, as I hadn't actually heard of it, so can't discuss I'm afraid. It looks quite interesting, but the genre isn't so much my thing.

I was waiting for the trilogy to be finished, but I like the look of it.

I read this pretty recently and had no idea what I was getting into. Apparently, I'm not alone in expecting this to be YA-ish mainly based on the whole adolescent-goes-to-elite-training-school thing. It's not, not even Leigh Burdago grim YA-ish. As the author says, it's a book about war, and in places it is horrifying. One particular scene (based, to some extent on a real life event) will haunt me for a very long time.

I didn't much care for the intro/training part of the book, but once the protagonist hits the battlefield, it WAS pretty gripping. Good as the action was, I'm not really sure how I feel about the protagonist, whose loyalty and patriotism never really made sense to me. That said, parts of her arc were strong and I'm intrigued enough to want to read the second eventually... once my stomach settles.

Just watched a documentary about the great revolution. It makes me curious what the author thinks of Mao Zedong. I do not think well of him at all. I would probably have some other meaner words for Mao, but will refrain from writing them. But the main protagonist in the book is portrayed as a flawed hero. And to me she (main protagonist) is mao and his wife made into 1. I don't agree with this image of a flawed hero for Mao myself.