Fantasy trilogy. I read in 1990s, but probably from 1980s.

Boaz

Happy Easter!
What I remember about this trilogy is that it’s centered on four young short men leaving there pastoral home and going off on an adventure. At one point, they meet an elf Lord named Gildor. There was an epic war and an heroic quest. At another point, in order to escape the attention of the enemy, a dwarf lead them through an old dwarf in kingdom under a mountain. A monstrous tentacled beast sealed the entrance behind them. Before they could exit, they faced a giant demon. If I remember correctly, one of the short guys stabbed the demon in the back of his knee, so the party could escape. I also remember the author’s middle initial included in his name.

I do not recall a ring. Is that important?

@Vince W Yes! Now I remember. The author only had one initial for a middle name.

Sorry folks. I guess I should’ve said that I knew it wasn’t the Lord of the Rings. But if you ever want to read blatant plagiarism, then the Iron Tower Trilogy is for you.

"Well, I'll bite."
I decided to get a bit more serious and, well, bit.
I went to only one search result that was titled with the same question as my search.
And you know, even though you found your answer, others might be looking. There's sure a fair whack of answers by people who have read things I never heard of.

(Well, I've heard of Sword of Shannara but you'll get lively discussions over there by people interested in reading it.)

You might like the books in this Reddit question asking "Books similar to Lord of the Rings?"

Friends, I am not serious. I do appreciate the sincere responses. isn’t it almost impossible to imagine that a person could be searching for the Lord of the Rings?

What I remember about this trilogy is that it’s centered on four young short men leaving there pastoral home and going off on an adventure. At one point, they meet an elf Lord named Gildor. There was an epic war and an heroic quest. At another point, in order to escape the attention of the enemy, a dwarf lead them through an old dwarf in kingdom under a mountain. A monstrous tentacled beast sealed the entrance behind them. Before they could exit, they faced a giant demon. If I remember correctly, one of the short guys stabbed the demon in the back of his knee, so the party could escape. I also remember the author’s middle initial included in his name.

Here I was thinking surely no one is going to bite on this. And then Vince does and I think 'no, it cannot be' Vince is far too smart to fall for this and then lo and behold Boaz was genuine. I will have to look up this series.

Back