Use of the word 'Eugenic'...

-K2-

I believe I'm using the word incorrectly...in fact, I believe there is a specific late 19th Century term I'm looking for but I can't find it.

What I'm currently using--which I believe is incorrect--is 'eugenic supremacy.'
(my current line is: (referred to as) People instead of crops (proles) due to their justified eugenic supremacy.)
(perhaps supremacy is the problem and it should be superiority ; or perhaps instead of eugenic it should be genetic or social Darwinian)

What I'm trying to describe is the belief by a few that the wealthy and those who wield vast power, that it is their right; perhaps favored by God; destined; deserved; genetically superior and predisposed...to succeed. In other words, that they are better from birth, they have their wealth and power due to the fact of who they are...nothing more, etc..

Social Darwinism comes to mind, also eugenics...it's not really a divine right, but it's sometimes suggested that they're blessed/favored and therefor destined for success due to 'God's plan.'

Anywho, I'm at a total loss...I know there is a term used during the industrial revolution used by and against the mega-wealthy.

Thanks for any input.

K2

Anywho, I'm at a total loss...I know there is a term used during the industrial revolution used by and against the mega-wealthy.
So want to make a joke on that but with the current climate, it probably wouldn't be appropriate :(

I think genetic superiority works better. Eugenics suggests they've been bred for specific traits, and supremacy makes it sound like their genes are ruling the weaker ones which while maybe true is different from just being better than.

Edit: Or you could use innate superiority (that implies it's blessed or favoured from birth).

Thanks @.matthew. ; good points all and mimics what was concerning me.

@pyan ; yes and no. In the context of the paragraph, the population is being relocated and renamed according to their value to the state, with only the top .01 net-worth percentile considered 'people.' In the system, everyone else is classified/considered a crop or livestock--sub-human. The justification by the designer of the system for that is 'the top .01 are better than the balance' in all regards.

Thanks fellas. I know there is a specific term, I just can't find my book that explains the concept.

K2

Hmm, can't think of a term. But any combination of "eugenic <superlative>" might sound a little redundant due to the etymology of eugenic being "good genes."

The gentry?

They owned land and had great wealth but weren't members of the aristocracy. They did, however, have family names and it was beneath them to really do anything as they felt entitled to be rich and powerful.

If you're getting into eugenics beware the wrath of Khan
wrathofkhan.jpg

Hi. I think that in general the narrator of a story, the omniscient specifically, is obliged to express himself correctly. This also serves the author (you, of course) as a defense against criticism from a potential reader, and we know that in the case of fandom this is quite relevant. We have a reputation for nerds for some reason, right? I mean, in science fiction it is where most occurs the case of very assertive people predisposed to find even the smallest detail to object.
However, in the case of a first-person narrator I think you can give yourself some liberties. This type of narrator may even be politically incorrect or speak or take for granted many things that he actually ignores. Or, in the case of your question, may be he "don't" use the terms in their most correct form.
This is also true for characters. So I think it depends on what kind of narrator you are using, who says what. Because it is not a technical book or an essay. Then there they already shoot you if you make a mistake.

In any case, other synonyms that come to my mind are: predominance, preeminence, selectivity.

Last edited:
Apparently those pecs really were his own...

Yeah, I'd buy that. Like Eastwood for Heartbreak Ridge and many other actors (and actresses), a little hard work will do wonders. They stayed sexy till their 70/80s and bulked up as needed. It's just hard most folks to believe because they won't do the work.

K2

Yeah, I'd buy that. Like Eastwood for Heartbreak Ridge and many other actors (and actresses), a little hard work will do wonders. They stayed sexy till their 70/80s and bulked up as needed. It's just hard most folks to believe because they won't do the work.

K2
That and most folk don't have the time to do the work, or personal trainers hired by the studios, or millions of dollars to earn by getting into shape...

That and most folk don't have the time to do the work, or personal trainers hired by the studios, or millions of dollars to earn by getting into shape...

Somewhat, agree, agree...but, most people could do MUCH-much more. You need to make fitness your recreation time. That's one thing I notice many younger folks are doing that my generation didn't. Our recreation was going to bars, sitting on the couch and eating the wrong food.

And though you won't earn millions from that better bod... You'll find you'd pay billions (if you had it) once you're older wishing you had spent the time. Unfortunately by then, no amount of money will get back the chance to make the right decision.

*coughs, crushes out cigarette, and clears throat downing my drink* Yeah, I'm wishin' too... :cautious:

K2