Discussion Thread -- JULY 2020 -- 300-Worder Writing Challenge (#38)

CarBear: In this historical fantasy, written with the wit and elegance of a true denizen of a more refined century, we witness the transformation of a character from an inappropriate role to a more proper one. With a wink, the author reminds us to find the place where we belong.

I appreciate your review, thanks! I'm glad the story was clear enough as I had whittled away so much of it..

@dannymcg

Entries must be posted no later than July the 31st 2020, at 11:59 pm GMT

Get your rear end in gear.

To be honest, I thought today was the last day. That's why I destroyed my last brain cell getting something out. Still, if I'd have left it I might have ended up with nothing.

Are we a bit down on numbers considering it’s the last day? Or do I always say that?

I just realised the date and thought I ought to have a quick crack, especially as I did not enter the 75. To be honest I am not very happy with my entry but unfortunately I am too busy and far too hot to have a second attempt. It's reached 36c and the air is heavy.

Must not add post with awful vegetable pun.

It's gnawing at my innards like a rabbit at a prize carrot. The urge is a slow tide, a slug like determination to get to that wholesome cabbage.

Must resist, I can radish.

Bolloroccolis!

Last edited:
[
Umm. And those of us who are fakes - which probably includes me, as I'm rarely very visible about my manipulations - are we purely imaginary, alter egos of the genuine moderators, or perfectly real members who just happen not to possess super powers? In the last case, what difference does it make? We have merely to inform one of the genuine superpowers, and the job is done exactly as if we'd been real. In the first situation, who is writing my challenge entries, my Zecret Zantas, and occasionally succeeding in identifying books in 'book search'? And in the second, who am I the avatar of? It would be nice to know.

Before joining here I was on a Pratchett website that had no mods, and no means of moderation. It went down in petty bickering between trolls, and massive disorganisation. I much prefer this site, even if I am imaginary.

QUOTE="dannymcg, post: 2419476, member: 39673"]
There you are peeps, Chris is self identifying as a fake!
The first of them
[/QUOTE]

I make no concessions as to my existence: hence the insistence on things I have created, whether I am imaginary , mundane, or a second personality of one of your more likely candidates. I agree that I'm fairly improbable, but am obviously possible, demonstrated by the existence of things -

If I had to guess, @chrispenycate is just a bad trip I'm experiencing--a hallucination, a fig-newton of my imagination--from hanging out with that herb smoking, purple-ringer mushroom sitting caterpillar too much. Why else would he fade in and out, showing up here only to vanish a moment later floating around all trippy like...and who grins like that? :oops:o_O

Cheshire cats. That's who grin like that. And judging by the hookah-smoking caterpillar gives us Alice. Is that why Alice is Mad? Because I'm illusional? Merly because I lack reality? There are plenty of others here I believe in despite their improbability: why not? Where else would they materialise rather than here?

My running theory is you are an avatar of a highly advanced artificial intelligence which manifests itself in the form of a cat, and is capable of producing works of literary excellence on a regular basis. Of course, this theory is only tentative...
So, what of all that prevents me from being a moderator? We're not speciest here, nor is mental health obligatory. And cats would make excellent moderators, if they read science fiction and fantasy (they are shameless, hedonistic romance readers, despite starring in more SF books than I could shake a broomstick at. The only questionable statement involves the regularity of my creating anything, except possibly my monthly seventy-five word offee in on the basis of my musical rings. I am not actually a writer - Brian conned me in on the strength of my musical experience, then didn't go anywhere with it, and I only started writing to give those I critiqued an opportunity for revenge.