Similar to wheel of time/lord of the rings recommendations!

chongjasmine

I like wheel of time, sword of truth, lord of the rings. I am looking for books that are similar to the three mentioned. Can anyone recommend me some books?

Have you looked into Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive? Or his Mistborn trilogy?

Apart from that, all I can think of right now is Terry Brooks' Shannara series. His earlier books (first trilogy) are admittedly a little more shaky in quality, although they're still pretty good books, but the Heritage of Shannara quartet ramp up the bar, and he really hits his stride in the trilogy right after that, the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara.

The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson is book one of a self-published trilogy which was a joint winner of the Self Published Fantasy Blog Off and has a very old-school epic feel. It should fit your requirements pretty well.

The Malazan series by Steven Erickson
The Crown of Star Series by Kate Elliot
The Riftwar series By Raymond Feist
The Birthgrave Trilogy by Tanith Lee
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson
Merlin's Ring by H Warner Munn
The Well at the End of The World by William Morris

Last edited:
The Malazan series by Steven Erickson
The Crown of Star Series by Kate Elliot
The Riftwar series By Raymond Feist
The Birthgrave Trilogy by Tanith Lee
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson
Merlin's Ring by H Warner Munn
The Well at the End of The World by William Morris
The King go Elflands Daughter by Lords Dunsany
Malazan, is my favourite series but I wouldn't recommend as similar to these nor Crown of Stars.
Feist and Brooks do have a similar feel.

James Islington's The Shadow of What Was Once Lost is meant to have a very familiar sort of thinking to Wheel of Time. Brian Staveley's The Emperor's Blades and John Gwynne's The Faithful and the Fallen might also fit, although I'm not particularly fond of either.

Also, yes, Feist has a very similar feeling.

If you like the nobel quest sort of theme I would recommend Roger Zelany, Amber chronicles. Patricia McKillip, Riddlemaster of Hed, Fred Saberhagen, Book of Swords. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Witch World. David Eddings' books. Charles De Lint's Newford series. Teresa Edgerton, Goblin Moon. Elizabeth Boyer, Alfar series. Robert Asprin's House that Jack Built, & Thieves World anthologies.

Don't forget Stephen R Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. If you like rabbits Watership Down of course and then if moles are your thing Duncton Wood is brilliant. Back to humans and we have David Eddings Belgariad and Malloreon, Micheal Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, especially the Elric books, and The War of Powers by Robert E Vardeman.

I have read and enjoyed LOTR several times. I read the first WOT, and it was about as much fun as having my teeth drilled.
I fail to see any significant resemblance of Thomas Covenant to either of these beyond length. Likewise Moorcock, who would likely be unimpressed with the comparison: he has been critical of Tolkein, and his clever, cynical and transgressive tales are altogether more fun and more risque than the witless drudge of WOT.

For that WoT feel try The Raveling trilogy by Alec Hutson - book 1 is The Crimson Queen. Came 2nd in the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off in 2017

David Eddings 3 series (The Belgariad, The Mallorean, and The Elenium - all related) containing 16 books