Non-Humanoid Aliens in TV shows?

Star Trek the original series.March 9th 1967.
Episode "The devil in the dark" Silicon based life form the Horta

STDevil_inTheDark.jpg

Initially, Babylon 5 tried hard to make their aliens different and not just a person made alien by make up. I remember that had a mantis (N’Grath) type criminal in the alien sector. That soon fell away due to budget, but I liked that they attempted it.

Unrelated, but in K-Pax, when asked by the psychiatrist why a human form, he stated that it’s like a drop of water. It’s just the most economical shape for biology to form hence most races were humanoid.

As for non-humanoid, what about the aliens from Galaxy Quest? Aren’t they squid-like when not taking human form?

Farscape’s Budong. A supermassive space creature was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Two arms, two legs, hands, a head with forward facing eyes etc... .
That perfectly describes 99% of all aliens in TV-series.

But then again, those might be evolutionary conditions to be able to dominate your natural environment and evolve into sentient species.

Two arms, two legs, hands, a head with forward facing eyes etc... .
That perfectly describes 99% of all aliens in TV-series.

But then again, those might be evolutionary conditions to be able to dominate your natural environment and evolve into sentient species.

More likely its simpler and cheaper to costume/animate on a TV budget ;)
It's also much easier for an audience to connect with. It's why so many film and tv aliens are indeed quite humanoid in overall appearance and design. If not then they often start to emulate real world animals to some degree.

Initially, Babylon 5 tried hard to make their aliens different and not just a person made alien by make up. I remember that had a mantis (N’Grath) type criminal in the alien sector. That soon fell away due to budget, but I liked that they attempted it.

Unrelated, but in K-Pax, when asked by the psychiatrist why a human form, he stated that it’s like a drop of water. It’s just the most economical shape for biology to form hence most races were humanoid.

As for non-humanoid, what about the aliens from Galaxy Quest? Aren’t they squid-like when not taking human form?

Farscape’s Budong. A supermassive space creature was pretty cool.
GalaxyQuest seems interesting and, about babylon 5 i think the aliens look amazing but i dont know if there are more non-humanoid species in

I know there are a few non humanoids species in the orville but i dont know if there are more in other series
I just realized, the whole point of Starship Troopers a series of three movies, only the first of which is really worth watching, is based on a Heinlein story about alien bugs that hurl asteroids at earth. The troopers meet up with ant like bugs, caterpillar bugs, and all sorts of bug aliens.

I just realized, the whole point of Starship Troopers a series of three movies, only the first of which is really worth watching, is based on a Heinlein story about alien bugs that hurl asteroids at earth. The troopers meet up with ant like bugs, caterpillar bugs, and all sorts of bug aliens.

Check out the animated tv series Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles.

Back