Orange-skinned humanoid aliens **SPOILER**

sigblaster

I'm looking for what I believe is a short story about a human who is on a planet of orange-skinned aliens. I think the aliens have been enslaved by the humans and wear some sort of bracelet that humans use to control or track them. The human falls in love one of the female aliens.

I am going to post a spoiler below, so don't read any further if you don't want to see the spoiler!

* WARNING - SPOILER BELOW! *

The human attends an alien church service and discovers that the aliens must mate in fresh water in order to conceive. This has been kept secret from the humans.

I'm looking for what I believe is a short story about a human who is on a planet of orange-skinned aliens. I think the aliens have been enslaved by the humans and wear some sort of bracelet that humans use to control or track them. The human falls in love one of the female aliens.

I am going to post a spoiler below, so don't read any further if you don't want to see the spoiler!

* WARNING - SPOILER BELOW! *

The human attends an alien church service and discovers that the aliens must mate in fresh water in order to conceive. This has been kept secret from the humans.

I think I've read it - the human from Earth is a doctor, isn't he?

It's by a British or Irish author - Paul McAuley?

I don't really remember if he was a doctor.

I'm trying to find some synopses of McAuley's short stories.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it pans out.