May Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T Kingfisher, Summer in Orcus. A rather inventive take on the classic fantasy quest, but with plenty of innovation and it starts with Baba Yaga. It is not a comedy, but there are moments of humour. I particularly like it, that having started with Baba Yaga's mobile house on giant hens legs, that there is a passing mention later on of herds of wild houses out on the plain, and house hunters going after them.... Handled with a light touch.

I've read a handful of books by Kingfisher, some of which I like a lot better than others. Which is to say that sometimes her books hit the sort of thing (well, one of the kinds of things) I am looking for, and others not so much. Summer in Orcus sounds like it might fall under the first category; I'll have to take a look at it.

Right at the moment I am working my way through Jill Paton Walsh's original mysteries (original in the sense that they are about her own characters, not the Lord Peter Wimsey continuations). There are only four of them, they are none of them long books, and I am now reading the last, so I may be ready to read some fantasy very soon.

@Parson, if you haven't finished at least the Alex Benedict books, what are you waiting for?!?
Every time I re-read a McDevitt novel, or pick up a rare new one (he does take his time between books), I'm reminded what a great talent he is. I had intended to salt these book in with others, but once I got started I somply couldn't stop, even though, with the exception of books 7 and 8 of each of these series, I've read them all more times than I can remember.

I haven't read them all. Lots of times I start on a series, but after I catch up to the most recent one I stop never to think of it again. No matter how well I liked the series. The only real exception to this is the Honor Harrington series, which I waited with bated breath until the next installment showed up. (but somewhat less bated toward the end) When I finished my Ell Dorsaii run I might shamble over and consider again. But 8 or 9 dollars a book puts a serious damper on my enthusiasm.

On the Ell Donsaii front, I've finished Impact, DNA, and have begun Dioterror! It's been a long time since I've enjoyed rereading books so much.

Whoa -- Coleridge!

The Holmes 2-volume biography is very readable. I would deduct points here and there; on the one hand, I recall him making more of a to-do than perhaps he needed to about an incident in which Coleridge imagined he saw Wordsworth cuddling with W's wife's sister, and, on the other, he has almost nothing to say about one or two late books by Coleridge that deal with Coleridge's Christian faith: you can see what interests Holmes more, what less. But I did enjoy them.

See if you think Coleridge's Christabel -- even though it's unfinished -- is almost the founding text of modern weird fantasy.

Prompted by a passing remark of Hugh's, I'm rereading (after 40+ years) Cohen's biography of Rider Haggard. I'd forgotten how adventurous Haggard's early years in Africa were.

1590362840944.png
1590362709645.png

I'm starting this morning with a horror book set right here in my hometown of Whitehaven.
The blurb says it's about some kind of creature infiltrating the local call centre (built on the shore beside our local pebble beach) - intriguing because I'm friends with four people who work or have worked at that place.

Book title The thing on the shore by Tom Fletcher.

Note: it seems there are two writers of a similar age who are both named Tom Fletcher, one writes horror and the other (who is also a musician) writes dystopian sci-fi with his wife. This thread shows my confusion...

Perry Rhodan Nr. 28 Der kosmische Lockvogel and #22 The Cosmic Decoy were finished yesterday.
Nr29 Die Flotte der Springer and #23 Peril on Ice Planet were started today.

Finished T Kingfisher Summer in Orcus - held up well and had some really amusing bits and a credible ending.
Started T KIngfisher The Raven and the Reindeer - her take on the Snow Queen.

Started reading In a dark Wood Wandering by Hella S. Haasse.
It being a bit slow, I decided to allow for a short break by reading something light. That something turned out to be Alistair's MacLean's Golden Rendezvous. After nearly 50 years I still found it a fun and, like I said, light read.
Next I thought I might as well try Night Without End, but found it not half as good and entertaining as Golden Rendezvous.

Before returning to Haasse I decided to read Jo Walton's My Real Children first. About 25% in I must confess I like it so far and am curious where it is leading to.

I'm starting this morning with a horror book set right here in my hometown of Whitehaven.
The blurb says it's about some kind of creature infiltrating the local call centre (built on the shore beside our local pebble beach) - intriguing because I'm friends with four people who work or have worked at that place.

Book title The thing on the shore by Tom Fletcher.

Note: it seems there are two writers of a similar age who are both named Tom Fletcher, one writes horror and the other (who is also a musician) writes dystopian sci-fi with his wife. This thread shows my confusion...
Load of old twonk, DNF for this book - and probably this author.
I'm dithering now what to read next:-
Sci fi?
Crime thriller?
Spy novel?
Adventure?
I've unread books in all those genres, or maybe I should go for a trusted old reread?

Classics & Contemporaries by S. T. Joshi

A collection of Joshi's reviews from the 1980s into the early 2000s, mainly dealing with Lovecraft related fiction and literary criticism. Joshi is a sharp, erudite and insightful critic, though he can be controversial because he has the tendency to make good/bad judgments on works that don't entertain him. Thus he's harsh on most Cthulhu Mythos works not written by HPL. Not that most of it is undeserving of that harshness, but it's really not hard to imagine that some readers crave variations on stories and are satisfied with that. His implicit -- and sometimes more than implicit -- condemnation of that readership is a bit overboard.

What's good about the reviews is that he eschews most of the critical vocabulary that can make some of his books a bit of a slog, while giving a representative idea of the basis for his commentary and criticism. This is a n intriguing, thought-provoking read, and probably a good introduction for anyone interested in following up on his scholarly and critical works.

Randy M.

"A Death in the House and Other Stories. The Complete Short fiction of Clifford D. Simak Volume 7"

Another excellent collection. 8 SF stories plus (sigh) a Western and a WWII Air warfare yarn.
The SF stories contain some gems. I always love Simak's aliens in small town settings: here we have "Operation Stinky" (alien looking exactly like a skunk adopts the local drunk). "The Sitters" (three aliens living in a small town, one of Simak's personal favourites), "Green Thumb" & "A Death in the House" both feature dying aliens rescued by local men. The others are also all well worth reading.
For me personally, a joy.

Starting Footfall by Niven and Pournelle.

I'll be interested to hear what you thought of this. I felt it was worth the read, but somewhat less than their usual yarn.

----
Finishing my Ell Donsaii re-run. I finished Bioterror and Terraform and then wonder of wonders! There's a new one Transporter which I will finish today. Then we'll see where I go.

@dannymcg that's interesting, I work in a big open plan office on the phones (or did before lockdown, now i'm working at home round a 5year old ) and often mused about setting a story in that environment, it would probably be in the vein of Tom Holt of John Wymondham.

I've just finished children of blood and bone by Tomi Adeyemi, a superb, poweful and intense African inspired young adult fantasy. I'm waiting before getting the sequel as i won't get anything else done while reading it.

I'm re-reading The Second Coming, Andrew Collins's follow up to The Black Alchemist. Interesting enough so far, but risks being "more of the same" unless it reaches some firm conclusions. (I can't recall if it does or not, but I'm not holding out much hope.)

@dannymcg that's interesting, I work in a big open plan office on the phones (or did before lockdown, now i'm working at home round a 5year old ) and often mused about setting a story in that environment, it would probably be in the vein of Tom Holt of John Wymondham.

I've just finished children of blood and bone by Tomi Adeyemi, a superb, poweful and intense African inspired young adult fantasy. I'm waiting before getting the sequel as i won't get anything else done while reading it.
It wasn't actually that bad a story, but not my kind of thing, it was a bit too much psychological suspense and "is he dreaming this bit?"
That's why I DNF it - not my taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Judge Book Discussion 114
The Judge Book Discussion 246
The Judge Book Discussion 239
The Judge Book Discussion 199
The Judge Book Discussion 186