Movies/Television with Great Storylines

etaylor

There's plenty of stuff out there right now that qualifies as good "entertainment". But for me, a good story has that extra something that makes it worthwhile even if it doesn't have all the glitz and glam of a hundred million dollar budget.

I'm just curious what others have scene recently that they felt really had an enthralling story that kept you engrossed. For me, the list of recent watches is...

A Simple Favor
Killing Eve (masterful performance by Jodie Comer)
Old Boy (the original Korean version, NOT the American remake. Fair warning...this is definitely not a movie for anyone who is easily disturbed)

currently watching the outsider which continues to intrigue me every week.

I think this is actually a tough one. It is hard to credit the "story" of an episodic show that is being written as it airs. And it is hard to credit the story of a film that was adapted from a best selling book.

This may be a groaner, but I remain impressed how Empire Strikes Back tells two interrelated bridge plots, but feels like a coherent story upon viewing.

I'm also attracted to the way absurdist filmmakers can address plot so directly, like Wes Anderson and Whit Stillman: Rushmore and Barcelona have beautiful plots that the characters seem to be aware they are participating in. True Lies is another quasi-comedy that packages a domestic story and a spy plot together seamlessly.

I will always go with Babylon 5. Conceived as a novel for telly it had a planned five year story arc, back doors for each of its main characters and a level of detail that I hadn’t ever seen before. Brilliant show that holds up even now. Shame WB buried it.

I will always go with Babylon 5. Conceived as a novel for telly it had a planned five year story arc, back doors for each of its main characters and a level of detail that I hadn’t ever seen before. Brilliant show that holds up even now. Shame WB buried it.

I haven't seen this, but I know it's popular. I may have to look into it.

...as long as nobody says Battlestar Galactica I don't have to start groaning and throwing people out windows.

A good story with that something extra? For me, that something extra is emotion.

Some favourite films of the last ten years that moved me more than most include:

Song of the Sea
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Leave No Trace
Victoria (2015)
Wolf Children
Black Swan
Big Hero 6
Your Name
Another Earth
A Separation
Incendies
Her
One Cut of the Dead

I don't watch much TV, but have especially enjoyed Father Ted, Breaking Bad, Merlin, Game of Thrones and Pushing Daisies. All have the power to move, whatever the genre. Some Doctor Who episodes have been outstanding in the emotion stakes.

I didn't know there was an American remake of Old Boy. Catch "One Cut of the Dead" before it's remade!

As far as I'm concerned, Mad Men and Twin Peaks are perfect. Mad Men does everything Star-Child says Barcelona and Rushmore do, and more. I'm probably on my fourth rewatch of it, and I'm amazed to catch things mentioned in passing in one episode that will only pay off two or three seasons (seasons, not episodes) later. Also, though it was seven seasons, it was planned as a unified storyline from the beginning. It's a true work of art.

I love the entire show but I think The West Wing also had some great and subtle story telling. I love the two episodes of 20 Hours in America and the heartbreak of Han.

with so much excellent TV on hand I have a lot of catching up to do. I’ve not seen much contemporary drama (including the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Mad Men.)

Living With Yourself is a really interesting take on the current trajectory of modern science intruding unexpectedly into the average persons life, and then dealing with the consequences. Plus it's Paul Rudd, and Paul Rudd is underrated.

I’ll throw out 2 movies I thought had great storylines. Well, it’s really the same movie and a remake. A few weeks ago, they came on TNT (I think) back to back.

The original is Rashomon, by Akita Kurosawa. Very, very striking film.

The remake is The Outrage, can’t remember the director or producer. The stars, however, are memorable: Paul Newman, Laurence Harvey, Claire Bloom, Edward G Robinson, William Shatner, Howard da Silva. Very true to the original but set in late 19th century Arizona.

Back