What are Your Favorite Dragons in Movies, Television,Games and Literature ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Why are they your favorites? And Why do you suppose that Dragons are so popular in all these formats ? What are your thought on the subject of dragons?:)

The dragon in Dragonslayer was, in my opinion, the most logical depiction of an old-world dragon. Did the sacrifices really work? Heck yeah! The creature didn't have to go hunting! :D

It was also, at the time, the greatest visual of a dragon in any movie.

I loathed the dragon in Dragonheart. It looked like a rubber suit! Oh, Connery was the best personality a speaking dragon has ever had! But the damn thing just looked so incredibly fake, in a time I felt like they could have done so much better.

The dragon in Dragonslayer was, in my opinion, the most logical depiction of an old-world dragon. Did the sacrifices really work? Heck yeah! The creature didn't have to go hunting! :D

It was also, at the time, the greatest visual of a dragon in any movie.

I loathed the dragon in Dragonheart. It looked like a rubber suit! Oh, Connery was the best personality a speaking dragon has ever had! But the damn thing just looked so incredibly fake, in a time I felt like they could have done so much better.

I The Dragon in Dragon Slayer looked absolutely amazing and stone cold malevolent and beyond scary. Even by todays special effects standards that Dragon stills looks pretty good. As to the sacrifice, there two images of that that film I've never been able to get out my head in the beginning of the film, the young woman manages to get lose from here bonds and the dragon toys with here and then immolates her. And later on in the film when the hero finds the kings daughter dead and being gnawed by the baby dragons. It was an excellent but very dark and nasty film.(y)

Dragonheart was saved from mediocrity by Sean Connery proving the voice. I did like the comic standoff scene in which Dennis quad was standing in the dragons mouth with sword preventing the dragon from swallowing him. T he Dragon did look a bit cartoonish . They did do a sequel to this one. :)

Of course, my favorite dragon of all time is my own! ;) No false modesty here.

In January of 1980, I started running Dungeon and Dragons games, after our DM went back to the states (I was in the Army, in Germany). I enjoyed it immensely. Like most beginners, I mostly used pre-written scenarios, until I became dissatisfied and started writing my own. My biggest beef was the way dragons were treated. They were always presented in little tiny cubbyholes, unable to easily turn around, let alone use their full abilities!

Then came a convention in Orlando, Florida. My first experience in Judge's Guild's Liche Lords scenario! We were actually attacked out in the open by a powerful dragon! I loved it! We successfully drove him off, and continued on. Just before the final encounter, we happened on the caves we figured the dragon resided in. Much smarter for us to take on the behemoth there, rather than in the open again! Sure enough, there he was - in a tiny cubbyhole he could barely turn around in.

I fumed.

And I went home and created Darganau. A "by-the-book" red dragon, who took full advantage of his intelligence, and the availability of those things that would help him.

And his cave is no cubbyhole!

I've ran him - in one way or another - with every group I've had. Most have been smart enough not to take him on - though some were not convinced until entering the final lair in his mountain home! He has been defeated once, by a group at GEN CON no less, due to a failed take-off! (he is a huge creature!)

Dragonheart was saved from mediocrity by Sean Connery proving the voice. I did like the comic standoff scene in which Dennis quad was standing in the dragons mouth with sword preventing the dragon from swallowing him. T he Dragon did look a bit cartoonish . They did do a sequel to this one.

The storyline of the first was also excellent. I think they decided to go without a storyline in the second. :confused:

The storyline of the first was also excellent. I think they decided to go without a storyline in the second. :confused:

I did enjoy the first film. The sequel was pretty forgettable .:)

Last edited:
Smaug from J R Tolkien's novel The Hobbit. Took Erebor and its gold from the Dwarf king as his subjects and in the process burned down an city whose survivors founded a place called Lake Town . Intelligent, cunning, murderous , greedy for gold and cruel and very articulate .Smaug is the personification of evil. He impressed both 1977 animated film and the live action trilogy by Peter Jackson.

Unfortunately, Smaug was about the only good thing in the '77 film. :(

Smaug was a great character. Mean as hell, with intelligence behind those smoldering charcoal eyes. Would love to hear other stories about him.

Unfortunately, Smaug was about the only good thing in the '77 film. :(

Smaug was a great character. Mean as hell, with intelligence behind those smoldering charcoal eyes. Would love to hear other stories about him.

The 77 film was the first token related thing I ever saw. By todays standards it pretty bland stuff. I think there was singing in it I'm not sure. South Park spoofed that film. I agree that Smaug did stand out here.

The live action films took Smaug to a whole new level of nastiness.:)

There was a catchy song about toil and work... used to sing it a lot, lol. Can't seem to remember it now...

I think I remember being irritated by it. As you say , Smaug was the one saving grace of that film.:)

I think Dragonslayer is about the single nicest fantasy film I've ever seen. I really like the new LOTR films, but the jeopardy and horror in Dragonslayer are so good. I love the wizard being used as a bomb and sharpening the spear with magic fire, as well as the wizard's second coming in the lake and using the scale shield. And the dragon looked great in a way that shames CGI.

I think Dragonslayer is about the single nicest fantasy film I've ever seen. I really like the new LOTR films, but the jeopardy and horror in Dragonslayer are so good. I love the wizard being used as a bomb and sharpening the spear with magic fire, as well as the wizard's second coming in the lake and using the scale shield. And the dragon looked great in a way that shames CGI.

For some reason, I've never watched this one -- but after that (and looking up glowing reviews on IMDB), I will next time it's on.