(Found) Book revolving around a family living in isolation by a dam - child of family discovers a child who was living in an underground city/society

unbeleeshable

It was a novel that I believe I read in high school maybe in 2012? I have a feeling the book was older than that by a fair few years though.
From memory there was something wrong with the water, maybe it was toxic and the family living by it were researching it. They were living in total isolation (not by choice). I think the child of the family was a daughter and she had some kind of flying apparatus which she was using one day when she saw another child (I believe a boy) who had either escaped from or been kicked out of some kind of underground society/city. She took the boy back to her family's house and I think there ended up being a connection between the boy and the water? It was not set in a city, rather a desert-esque or drought stricken backdrop. I read this in English and I assume as it was a school book that it was intended for a YA audience, being from Australia it's possible the book was by an Australian author. I've tried to research and have ruled out The City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau, The Water Cure - Sophie Mackintosh, and Dry - Neal Shusterman.