October 2019 reading thread

Started "The Swords", the first story in this:
View attachment 57150 and found it strangely uninteresting. Paused after a few pages and have no desire to go back. Not saying I'm quitting cold turkey but am setting it aside for a while to read this:

51pOAi1MqoL.jpg
Enjoyed her bio of H.P. Lovecraft and am eager to she how she deals with the master of the master. By the way, this image was copied off Amazon. When I scan my copy it looks like this:
View attachment 57151 Anyone know what's causing all that red and green in the center?
It is probably an artefact of the image compression algorithm. I suspect the amazon image uses a different process.

Interesting how my reaction was exactly the opposite. I found it to be a haunting story, a truly chilling and mysterious allegory of sexuality.

I tried reading "The Swords" when I was in my 20s and it just seemed to drone on. I expect I'd have a different reaction now. That said, unlike Aickman's fans, I find reading a story or two at a time good reading, but more than that and I begin to feel surfeited.

Randy M.

I've gone back to re-read The Quantum Magician by Derek Kunsken. I know I read it at the beginning of the year, but a sequel has appeared The Quantum Garden and when I tried to think about TQM I didn't have a clue, even after reading the blurb. So I returned to TQM and for the first couple of chapters I was not sure that I had read it. Now approaching the half way point I recognize I've read it and that it is fairly interesting, but other than I know that the group is succerssful in their con I remember little else. So I will re-read not because it was so memorable but because it wasn't??!! --- I am surely an old man! --- But I'll let you know what I think in a few days.

Just finished a reread of Nightworld. Still good, but After reading 14 or so Repairman Jack novels i’ll Be sorry to see him go.

Still, I have the 3 young Jack and 3 early Jack books to read.

Now on to Neal Asher’s Polity Agent.

It took me a while to decide, but next up is a book I bought for my daughter, which I neglected to look too closely at before ordering - she's getting to the cross-over from pictures with a few words to lots of words and not many pictures, but I think I jumped a little too far ahead with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making by Catherynne M Valente, not so much because of the big words but more the size of the book.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/ Finn Family Moomintroll etc. are better suited I think, even though I think she'll enjoy this tale when she's a bit older.

Since starting the second Morrigan Crow book, I've finished that one, acquired and read the fourth in the Lady Sherlock series, read all four of Django Wexler's Forbidden Library series and started Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Redemption Blade."

The Morrigan Crow books are obviously heavily inspired by Harry Potter, but still a lot of fun. The Lady Sherlock books are an interesting twist on the Sherlock Holmes stories. The Forbidden library is probably the best thing I've read this week, even though it's targeted at a younger crowd. I've only just started "Redemption's Blade" on the tail end of my daily commute.

Continuing my mini-marathon of old books about science fiction, I have started The Science Fiction Novel: Imagination and Social Criticism (1959; my copy is a 1969 reprint.) No editor listed, but the introduction is by Basil Davenport, so I presume he performed that function. It consists of lectures on the subject of SF as social criticism delivered by Robert A. Heinlein, C. M. Kornbluth, Alfred Bester, and Robert Bloch.

Continuing my mini-marathon of old books about science fiction, I have started The Science Fiction Novel: Imagination and Social Criticism (1959; my copy is a 1969 reprint.) No editor listed, but the introduction is by Basil Davenport, so I presume he performed that function. It consists of lectures on the subject of SF as social criticism delivered by Robert A. Heinlein, C. M. Kornbluth, Alfred Bester, and Robert Bloch.
Must be interesting to read

Just finished this 18 page thriller of insanity 1930s style:
Bat_Man_by_Lew_Merrill_1936_2002_Reprint_0000.jpg

Fun to read and a little more spicy than I expected. Now if I could only find the cover story.

I have started Of Worlds Beyond: The Science of Science Fiction Writing (1947) edited by Lloyd Arthur Eshbach, a slim little volume, very nicely printed, containing essays by Robert A. Heinlein, John Taine, Jack Williamson, A. E. van Vogt, L. Sprague de Camp, Edward E. Smith, Ph.D., and John W. Campbell, Jr.

I've restarted (I put aside a while ago) The Boy on the Bridge...this is the sequel to The Girl with all the Gifts by M R Carey

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse.

Good voice cast, great animation. I didn’t think I’d enjoy a cartoon movies, but thiswas very goo.d I might check out the Batman cartoon.

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse.

Good voice cast, great animation. I didn’t think I’d enjoy a cartoon movies, but thiswas very goo.d I might check out the Batman cartoon.
I think you might have posted this on the wrong thread. But it is a superb cartoon.

Back