October 2019 reading thread

I'm currently rereading the Wheel of Times series, just finished the last book Robert Jordan wrote and got into the first one Brandon Sanderson wrote. And transitioning like that instead of having to wait a couple of years, it is clear that the writing style is different. Also, got a renewed appreciation for Jordan's writing.
I think I am stuck after Knife of Dreams. Even before that I found the waiting in between installments and then re-reading tiresome. And the story got more and more drawn out with many a yanking of braids and continuous puzzlement at gender-specific behaviour - and I just couldn‘t work myself up to continue reading.

What‘s your impression? Would it be worth another re-reading to finish?

I think I am stuck after Knife of Dreams. Even before that I found the waiting in between installments and then re-reading tiresome. And the story got more and more drawn out with many a yanking of braids and continuous puzzlement at gender-specific behaviour - and I just couldn‘t work myself up to continue reading.

What‘s your impression? Would it be worth another re-reading to finish?
I just finished Knife of Dreams, that's the last one Jordan wrote. I do admit that I skim-read the Faile chapters in the last few books, I thought that subplot got drawn out too much. I would have rather read a bit more about Aram. But I liked Mat's chapters very much, so I do recommend giving it another chance. And it does pick up after Knife of Dreams, though the tone does change since the writer is different.

Foolproof is a techinall impossibility in this Society. Nothing can be proof from this fools.

Best QUOTE yet

LLoyd Biggle Jr: "All the Colors of Darkness"
Great 1962 SF. Many thanks for the recommendation @PaulMmn: I can see why you list it alongside your Simaks.

i put it on hold recently but now I'm back yomping my way through John Birmingham's The Cruel Stars, very enjoyable so far

I am almost done Deadhouse Landing by Ian Esslemont. Wow! For any Malazan fans that have finished the main series, this Path to Ascenency trilogy is a treat. Being a prequel, we get to see lots of origin stories. I’m so glad to get all this background info......definitely thinking about a reread now.

Gave up on Jack Vance and The Chasch after 50%. Seriously boring! It sounded like a plot for talking about the fantasy novel without much for justification. Also it seems that the MC only needs to look at a pretty girl, or a potential ally and they are all in for him. --- Give me a Break!

Finished Django Wexler‘s The Thousand Names. Great military fantasy with engaging characters. Very fast-paced and lots of battles. The second book in the series is already waiting on the shelf, but in order not to get drawn into the story too much, I decided to read Ghosts of the Shadow Market first, a collection of short stories. The first one really sucked. Let‘s see if I like the second one. If not, it‘s back to Wexler ...

Finished Django Wexler‘s The Thousand Names. Great military fantasy with engaging characters. Very fast-paced and lots of battles. The second book in the series is already waiting on the shelf, but in order not to get drawn into the story too much, I decided to read Ghosts of the Shadow Market first, a collection of short stories. The first one really sucked. Let‘s see if I like the second one. If not, it‘s back to Wexler ...
Didn't engaged me

I am well into The Issue At Hand (1964; my edition is a 1973 reprint) by "William Atheling, Jr." (James Blish.) It's a collection of articles about magazine science fiction from the early 1950's to the early 1960's. Interesting historically and for the insights into what Blish calls the "technical" aspects of writing (everything from basic grammar to story construction.)

Started "The Swords", the first story in this:
Image (278).jpg
and found it strangely uninteresting. Paused after a few pages and have no desire to go back. Not saying I'm quitting cold turkey but am setting it aside for a while to read this:

51pOAi1MqoL.jpg
Enjoyed her bio of H.P. Lovecraft and am eager to she how she deals with the master of the master. By the way, this image was copied off Amazon. When I scan my copy it looks like this:
Image (296).jpg
Anyone know what's causing all that red and green in the center?

I've finished this:- Adrian Tchaikovsky's Walking to Aldebaran, not too impressed with it, it got so repetitive.

Now I'm starting the new John LeCarre book, Agent running in the field.

Back