DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#35)

I thought I had something. Not wishing to plagiarise I had a quick search.
Turns out I was about to do a version of Shakespeares, Seven ages of man ‘All the worlds a stage’ etc
Maybe I should have just gone with it?

Managed to get one in on time after missing the 75 worder this month.

Funny how rusty I felt working to a small word count after having only missed one month of challenges. Starting the job of editing down the word count felt like putting in some miles on a treadmill straight after Christmas dinner!

and I'm in. the story has been stewing for a bit and with a few stirs it's ready for consumption. well, ready enough anyway

Starbeast: The combination of slapstick comedy and eldritch horror makes for a tasty concoction indeed. Could it be that the roar of laughter and the scream of fear are more closely related than we think?

Culhwch: This quiet, thoughtful tale ponders the thin line between simulation and reality. The addition of historical perspective adds to the importance of the theme.

Venusian Broon: Multiple layers of reality form an interminable labyrinth in this intricate creation. Daring the reader to find a way out, the author demonstrates the ambiguous nature of perception.

LittleStar: Characters with whom many of us can relate show us that, despite our awkwardness, we can sometimes rise to the occasion. The use of a non-human protagonist, in a seemingly paradoxical way, makes the story seem more universal.

J.C. Scoberg: In this vision of technology that may arrive sooner than expected, the author depicts the vital role than masks, real or metaphorical, play in our relationships. Although one may hide behind a persona, one may also use it to step into the light.

johnnyjet: The author creates an intriguing allegory of life in this symbolic fable of the need to be observed. If no one is watching it, does an action really take place?

Phyrebrat: By observing modern themes through the lens of the past, this mixture of the historical and the fantastic proves that some things never change. The mysteries of yesterday and those of tomorrow are not so very different.

Mr Orange: In this subtle tale of a desperate urge to capture the spark of genius, we learn that it is not enough to steal the flame from another. Rather, it must be kindled from within, or it will soon die.

olive: Art comes to life in this surreal account of the struggle to escape from the bonds of matter. Through the use of dialogue alone, the story invites the reader to supply the background scenery for the drama.

Perpetual Man: Within this eulogy for something that was dearly loved by the mourner, the unavoidable specter of entropy arises. Acknowledging the ephemeral nature of all human creations serves to make them more valuable.

kameron: The author takes a wry look at the arrogance of those whose ambitions are larger than their wisdom. Like many satiric comedies, this story uses the foolishness of others to reflect our own.

Well, it's something. Not sure what, but it's a thing.

Ursa major: In this allegorical self-portrait of an abstract principle we find an explanation for the eternal appeal of the lively arts. The author inspires readers to seek out and appreciate these creations.

M. Robert Gibson: The nearly universal desire to recapture the past vividly comes to life in this tale of an extraordinary technological advance. A touch of humor at the end reminds us to return to reality after we have had our heads in the clouds.

MoominAhoy: By drawing the reader into this deceptively quiet account of a tragedy, the author greatly increases the power of its final revelation. The sad but seductive poetry of the initial descriptions strengthens the chilling resolution.

The Judge: At first, this fantasy of the afterlife has the gray, depressing feeling of a bureaucratic nightmare. This provides a stunning contrast with the unexpectedly joyful outcome.

Luiglin: This affectionate parody of a classic icon of popular culture now only provides amusement, but also a bit of philosophy worth pondering. If we all undertake many different roles, how do we prepare for the next one?

Abernovo: The author makes use of a viewpoint far removed from those of an ordinary mortal in order to study the nature of humanity in an objective way. The conclusion drawn is that the subject of observation is not always without its own resources.

__________________________________________________________________________________

After looking over the entries a few times, my votes go to:

"Shall We Dance?" by elvet for descriptive power and sentiment.

"The Fourth Wall" by Star-child for surrealism and a unique concept.

"Matryoshka Obscura" by Venusian Broon for a labyrinthine structure and post-modernism.

Last edited: