New Book, The Institute

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
The Institute, published 10th September 2019...today! ....I got it this morning.

I'm starting it right now. (Well actually about thirty minutes ago!)
Gripping so far.

I got it yesterday, typical SK style but not sure if there is a point to the long intro of a guy getting off a plane and hitchhiking to New York. Unless that is part of the plot.

I got it yesterday, typical SK style but not sure if there is a point to the long intro of a guy getting off a plane and hitchhiking to New York. Unless that is part of the plot.
Ditto, it moves on to the kid in The Institute, ran by some mysterious bad guys, reminiscent of The Shop in Firestarter.... it's going on and on and I'm like "story please, no more background ffs"

@dannymcg - The book picked up pace a lot now, I am motoring through it a lot easier. Chapter 2 "The Smart Kid" seems to be the place it picks up.
Screenshot of a post I made on another site.
Screenshot_20190917-132125.png

I'm actually enjoying this one more than I thought I would. The friendship between the pos's is refreshing but the abuse they endure hits you hard. SK is definitely trying to make you sympathetic towards the kids and really hate the adults and it works.

Good book, with some of the things that go on in the world it makes you wonder if something like this could be true???

Just read this. Typical Stephen King style in that the story keeps you turning the page to see what happens next. Not many authors can do that (and that's perfectly fine and I can certainly enjoy such books) but I often find that a King book is difficult to put down.

He's reigned in the padding on this one (or has found a decent/brave editor) compared to some of the books in the last decade or so but it still could have been tighter.

He certainly has you sympathising with the main characters (the kids) and did make you think that it was possible - although the problem I had was
with the extraction methods of the kids; would that many - let's face it, professional hit jobs - not make the news or be passed off as being done by the kids?

It's not one of his best - although the bar on that is particularly high - and for his more recent work Dr Sleep was a better effort, but there has been worse.

[A Constant Reader of everything up to Finders Keepers]

No, you're not alone (although I've only read the first in the series). Not his usual stuff of course, but I thought it was well written and it had me hooked. I fully intend to get the other two.

Okay, late to the party. I'm reading this now.
not sure if there is a point to the long intro of a guy getting off a plane and hitchhiking to New York. Unless that is part of the plot.
That's what I thought. I had no idea what the book was about, so it seemed more like a Lee Childs book about a loner, drifter ex-cop to me. Then it switched suddenly to The Tomorrow People. I'm now half way through and the escape from the Institute by Ellis was well written. I can see now how the cop will become involved. I like the book so far, so surprised at the other negative comments. (Maybe the end isn't so good.)

(I'm also not sure that political assassinations resulting from road traffic, and other, accidents, is really putting these children to their most effective use, given their abilities.)