The Expanse: best characters?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Possible spoilers for those who haven't yet seen the series, so be warned...

My personal favourite is Amos - I love his simple way of looking at life, which gives him a deadly sense of innocence. On the one hand, he seeks to protect those who need it. On the other, he sees nothing in executing those who deserve it. A standout moment was when the botanist was going to execute the man who'd kidnapped his daughter, when Amos gently pushes the gun down and says "You're not that man." Once the botanist leaves, Amos turns to the kidnapper, raises his gun, and says "I am that man." Simple and chilling.

Amos seems especially drawn to protect children. He makes a comment early on about the last time he ever felt fear was when he was 5. When someone said that was probably a good thing, he disagreed - just one small snippet in many hinting at a very dark and troubled past.

Was interesting to see him interact with the proto-molecule scientist, and discuss when the scientist had taken a procedure to remove all sense of empathy. Amos seemed curious and interested in that process, as if he'd like to have the same treatment. To burn out the past, or help face the future?

Anyway, I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure if his backstory is explored more in there, but I do like the way he is consistently portrayed in the series.

Anyone else have a favourite? :)

Reactions: ctg
Chrisjen Avasarala, UN Deputy Undersecretary of Executive Administration. It's just nice to see a mature woman playing such an important role, not sidelined to someone's mum, or acting like they have no thoughts except what the male characters' say they should have.

Drummer, Bobby, Avasarala, Alex and Amos and Rosinante. I know last one is an item, but I feel that without it, there's no expanse. And my favourite faction is the Belters. My favourite antagonist is Mr Mao.

Last edited:
I don't know about best but I liked the way police detective, Josephus Miller, handled his role.